FTC Ironman Poll

If you would like to see an OPTIONAL Ironman mode based on Franko's True Combat rules incorporated into a future iteration of CM post here. I just tried it in a small QB and it really is great fun IMO. The AI becomes a formidable opponent and it's spooky too. I'm curious as to how popular this method of play is/will become. BTS may be interested too I hope. If the program could force FTC rules on players, eliminating mistakes and cheating, this could be a great way to do PBEM and TCP/IP. It's a whole new ball game, that's for sure.

Treeburst155 out.

I find it a blast as well. I enjoyed it so much in a hotseat w/ a friend (a 3rd party watched and kept us honest), that I just finished a scenario designed for use with the FTC ironman rules.

It's a DFDR scenario entitled 'Benghazi Bonfire' and should be available at the DFDR site in a day or two.

The scenario will come with the obligatory readme, a copy of the FTC rules, and recon images for both sides. Here's a look at the Axis recon image.

View?u=1567327&a=11906199&p=48319678&Sequence=0&res=high

[ 05-12-2001: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]

I think it sounds like an extremely realistic and immersing way to play the game. I'm all for any mod that creates a more historically accurate model to simulate the WW II fighting experience.

It wasn't until this last decade that the US Army came out with remote controlled surveilance planes and drones used at the battalion level to assist with reconaissance.

Why should you as the battalion commander in CMBO have access to 50 year advanced technology?

I vote to have the Ironman/Franko style of play included in CM2 as an option for each battle/operation.

Why thank you Franko, and for penning the document that inspired me, you'll find an advance copy of the scenario and it's related goodies in your in-box.

My friends found the most joy in playing the outnumbered Brit defender vs. the AI Axis attacker. It's one of the few I've seen where the AI manages to really pour it on as the attacker.

Hope you enjoy it.

As for the rest of ya... Get back in view 1 ya cheatin' bastards! smile.gif

I'd like to see it. I tried to play a small QB with Franko's/Ironman rules, but the temptation to deviate was too great. But I would definitley play that way if the game forced me to play by those rules (as an option).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

I agree as to the option, but remember that there are significant issues in playing Ironman mode PBEM/TCP as opposed to against the AI. Still, I would hope something could be worked out, it's a blast.

Joe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the point here is that if it is considered for inclusion in CM2, that these issues would be addressed first...

Clubfoot - why the biplane wheels?

I like the lack of focus at the top of the image - very realistic looking.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Clubfoot - why the biplane wheels?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to step on Clubfoot's toes here (no pun intended), but I'll wager the intent here was to simulate a view from - say - a Storch recon plane...

Although how it was shot from the angle shown in the picture from ANY German plane of the type available during the time frame of the North African campaign would be open to some debate...

Regards,

MSP

Well, although the angle of the photo may be a bit dodgey (by about 15 deg.), the Storch Fi 156 C-3/Trop. (desert/tropical package with dust filters and the like & produced between '40-'42) could be fitted with a heel-button actuated single, double, or even triple exposure belly camera.

Although the wheels typically would not have been visible unless the cam. was misaligned (a common occurence that, along with the cameras very limited exposure capability and it's lack of consistent funtionality led to the systems abandonment after a handful were produced). But I'm chalking that up to creative license.

Did Rommel have one at the battle for Benghazi (or at anytime for that matter)? Probably not. Is it a fun and interesting way to provide a player with some visual recon? I hope so.

Count me in too. Yesterday I played Franko´s " Barthelmy " scenario with the FTC rules ( no spoilers here ! ) and had the most spooky/claustrophobic experience of my CM career. My only thought after the end ( did I mentioned that I lost terrible against the AI ? ) was " I am happy that I wasn´t there for real ".

Cheers

Tom