OT: Anybody still playing SP?

I haven't played SP since SP1. Now that SP World at War is free, I downloaded (all 345MB) of it and installed it.

Alas, hexagons seem too old a concept, after CM... Must say though that the extras of the game are much better than CM's. Unit roster, encyclopedia of units, lots of options, ahh, maybe we'll see them one day in CM as well...

Anybody still playing SP or SPWaW? If so, can I please ask why, since CM is leaps forward?

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

[This message has been edited by coralsaw (edited 01-14-2001).]

Still play SPWaW regularly for some of the very reasons you mentioned. If one is looking for a larger type battle, particularly on the East Front, SPWaW still offers a very enjoyable experience. The interface is extremely easy and quick to negociate, and the breadth of unit types and actions also makes it fun to play. Particularly Wild Bill Wilder's scenarios are always challenging and interesting to play, with well thought out maps, troop deployment and reinforcement schedules. Due to the differences in interface, playing the same size of game with CM takes much, much longer to accomplish.

I recently got SPWaW from the cover disk of a magazine here in the UK. I'm quite enjoying it myself for the same reasons. The SP series were always my favourite computer wargames until CM came along, because of the range of engagements possible with the system. I think Matrix have done a good job with the improvements made to the system. As for the interface looking old fashioned; it's done so for a while since Talonsoft started publishing wargames, but it doesn't bother me too much - perhaps I'm too old to be a graphics junkie biggrin.gif.

[This message has been edited by Firefly (edited 01-14-2001).]

I tried to get interested in SP all over again once SPWaW was released - but I couldn't. The reason why is that I think the Talonsoft games (West Front & East Front) are MUCH better than SP. The unit encyclopedia is excellent, the maps are better, the scale is larger...I could go on and on. Anyway - I really enjoy CM for the tactical stuff, but when I want a larger scale battle, West Front/East Front is the way to go. SP seems very dated...even with the new sounds.

I also got the disk for SPWaW and loaded right away. Unfortunately I just could not get into the game (though I loved playing pacific theater games in SP1). I think there were 2 reasons I quit playing. 1-they did not fix the speed issue with the disc version. What I mean is when I moved a unit it moved at warp speed and trying to figure out what was being reported on hits was impossible to follow. 2-after playing CM with the we-go system I found I was playing the game in a very gamey way (no fun).

Eric

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

I got I've played all the SP series. SPWAW is very nice. I've been getting new hard drives and stuff but I was planning on reinstalling it soon. Its a fun game. CMBO is the best though.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EricM:

1-they did not fix the speed issue with the disc version. What I mean is when I moved a unit it moved at warp speed and trying to figure out what was being reported on hits was impossible to follow. Eric<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The version I got on disk was 4.4 and I opgraded to 4.5 almost immediately. In this version, at least, the speed and message delay could be adjusted in the preferences screen.

Coral, if you do a search using the words 'steel panthers' or 'SP II / SP III' you'll see there are rather a lot of references to SP on this board. There are still quite a few players out there, though personally I'm a strictly-CMBO player myself now.

------------------

" Mind, Sir, or I shall take off my belt, and by Thunder my trousers will fall down" -Mr. Hardwood, Blackadder

Search is always good Joseph. *ashamed*

I am sure there are some SP players, I was just curious why they still play it, as I found out it looks and feels a bit old.

Thanks for all the responses though guys.

Regards

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

I was a MAJOR SP player back in the day. In fact, I helped Scott Grasse with a lot of the first mods that eventually grew into the SPWAW type things, and the later versions.

I recently downloaded 4.5, (thanks cable internet!), and gave it a whirl.

Boy, that is a huge improvement. But, sadly, CM has spoiled me. I found I just didn't care all that much. My ability to be immersed in a game like that has been destroyed. If I won or lost, it just didn't seem that interesting anymore.

Jeff Heidman

What Is Really Needed to make CMBO a complete experience is an operational platform that would create the battle situations for the tactical game in which CMBO excels. I stopped playing SPWAW for two reasons: 1) CM is MUCH more compelling than SP at the tactical level. 2)Every SP upgrade created more bugs than it fixed.

I do miss the maneuvering though, hence my initial statement. CM, IMHO, would be an exceptional game if somehow one could maneuver well out of sight and shot.

while Cmbo has pretty much killed everything for me -- I still play Sp from the camo workshop some-- I have SpWaW but tend to play the other more -- partially because the camo workshop version only needs 26 megs on my hard drive -- CMBO has really changed everthing for me--good game

Olle :

Here :

http://www.matrixgames.com/news.asp

Then check :

Steel Panthers World At War v4.5 is Battle Ready

Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 3:45 AM EST by David Heath

Steel Panthers World at War v4.5 is now online and available for downloading. I really want to thank Tom Proudfoot, Mike Wood, Bill Wilder, Paul Vebber, Fabio Prado, Rick Cloutier and many others for there hard work in getting this patch out. If you are a Steel Panthers fan its now time to download the best Steel Panthers available...... see ya on the battlefield.

Steel Panthers World At War can be downloaded from http://www.matrixgames.com/sp-worldatwar/downloads.asp

and you are ready to go !!

------------------

Staff Sgt. Huang

I LOVE my country, but my

government suc*s.

Many Sp players play CM. I find them mutually supportable. Just can't beat CM when it comes to realisim. But CM can't and won't be able to provide the units/countries/theaters that SPWAW and the new Combat Leader game that is in the works by Matrix. Small publishers like BTS and Matrix deserve all the support we gamers can give as they work to produce the games we all really want.