Backing up CM!!!!

Guest Rommel22

Guest Rommel22

I wanted to make another copy of my CD for backup. My current CM cd is already scratched, pretty badly. I dropped it couple of times too (by accident, eating and putting cd's in the drive not good). So I though I'll copy it so I have a back up incase the original does end up broken or scrathed beyoned..... well running.

So I tried and it told me the files on the CM cd are curropt. Has this happened to anyone alse.

So I tried putting the cd files on the HD and then burning it. So I tried installing it to make sure, but it didn't work.

Has anyone tried making a copy for themselves and getting the same problem?

thanx in advance!

p.s. I swear, this is for my backup only. I never SHARE NEVER!!!!!!!

"Buy your own!!!" -me

------------------

Rommel22s Kampfgruppe site:

http://rommel22diarys.homestead.com/MyPage1.html

"I saw 5 Germans walking down the side of the road, so I followed them for a few yard to get closer. Then I shot them! Later that day I found out the war has been over for a few weeks." - someone

Guest ckoharik

Well, I made a backup of my original as I travel quite a bit. (hence my participation in the laptop thread) All I did was use HP's MyCD program to create an exact duplicate of the CD. Works like a champ.

I copied mine using Adaptec on my burner no problems - I try never to put the original disk in the machine after install (the way the Aussie dollar is, it would soon cost me a thousand dollars to replace it!).

Rommel, could your problem be copy protection (ie do you have a CD/DVD drive?).

Smith

Guest Rommel22

I have Adptec's Easy Cd creator 4. i tried burning it at all speeds, still nothing.

I wondering the same, BTS might of put a copy protection on there of sorts. My cd is one of the first. I pre-order it before it came out.

I have a 48X cd rom drive and a 8X4X32 burner. I tried burning at 8,4 and 2. Nothing.

Help!

------------------

"I saw 5 Germans walking down the side of the road, so I followed them for a few yard to get closer. Then I shot them! Later that day I found out the war has been over for a few weeks." - someone

Originally posted by Rommel22:

I have Adptec's Easy Cd creator 4. i tried burning it at all speeds, still nothing.

I wondering the same, BTS might of put a copy protection on there of sorts. My cd is one of the first. I pre-order it before it came out.

I have a 48X cd rom drive and a 8X4X32 burner. I tried burning at 8,4 and 2. Nothing.

Help!

Make sure that you have absolutely nothing else running at the time the CD is burning, and also disconnect any internet/network connections. We used to have trouble with Easy CD Creator at work, and this was usually the cause.

Hope this helps...

I'd the good idea to make a backup copy BEFORE my CD gets scratched, I used Adaptec's Easy CD Creator in "CD Copy" mode, 6x (with a 52x reader), had absolutely no problem, copied CD works as original.

I'm pretty sure there is *NO* copy protection whatsoever on this CD, even before trying a copy I knew BTS won't go through such a pain tongue.gif ...

Guest wwb_99

Well, you said your CD is already scratched, so it just might not be readable for burning, while being readable enough to boot the game.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Check out the Dogs of War

Guest Rommel22

I burn CDs all the time I know how to burn them. I have nothing running in the back. I tried all speeds still nothing.

I tried the HD-CD thing, that didnt work either. It burned the CD but didnt allow it to install.

I think I know what it is though, I use the easy CD creator 4. Some of you say you use the CD COPIER. That might be it.

------------------

I burn CDs all the time I know how to burn them. I have nothing running in the back. I tried all speeds still nothing.

I tried the HD-CD thing, that didnt work either. It burned the CD but didnt allow it to install.

I think I know what it is though, I use the easy CD creator 4. Some of you say you use the CD COPIER. That might be it.

Quit wasting your time and money on burning cds. Get virtual drive. Burning doesnt always work, and you can still scratch them too! You cant scratch a HD. Unless you ripp it open maybe.

You might want to try one ot the several "Cd Saver" gizmos out there that clean up the scratches on your cd, I use one called the "Radial Cd Cleaner" by Scotch that works great, even with very scratched discs, its basically just a hand cranked, rotating sponge, squirt some drops of the cleaning fluid provided and voila. Anyways, its cheaper than a new cd. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Gyrene (edited 03-26-2001).]

Originally posted by Rookie:

Moosehead, Maybe he does not have HD Space to spare?

~Rookie

[This message has been edited by Rookie (edited 03-26-2001).]

Maybe not, but my point is , if you are trying to make backups of your cds, dont bother with a burner. Buy a big HD and use Virtual Drive or similiar type pgm. The added benefit is no more disk swapping in and out, scratches, and faster pgm in most games.( HD access is way faster than CD access). Plus, latest version of Virtual drive lets you make selective Vurtual cds(choose only what you want. Dont have to copy whole cd. Some cds have useless junk on them like demos, browsers, etc) Also lets you copy audio cds, if interested. I sound like a salesman for this company(farstone). Ok, no more free advertising. I'll shutup.

Moosehead,

I have the program, and while it has its uses (I use it for multiCD Games mainly) its not perfect either. It chokes on Safedisc 2 and a few other protections, Eats up gobs of space and basically just adds another layer of complexity thats not always needed. I prefer to clone my CD's and use them. Its all personal preference., and it seems, if he already has the burner he's not really incurring any added expense upon himself other than a 25 cent CDR.

Just my Nickel smile.gif

------------------

-Rookie

Cactus Air Force Homepage

So I tried and it told me the files on the CM cd are curropt. Has this happened to anyone alse.

I tried making a backup when I first got the game and got a similar message. I think the Adaptec software got confused because the .bmp files don't have dates. I havn't tried since. I have a brand new burner and will try tonight.

try using another CD burning software. Also remember to name the CD the exact same as the original.

TO ANYONE ABOUT TO BUY A NEW CD BURNER:

Buffer underun is no longer a problem on CDR drives with BurnProof technology. It virtually eliminates buffer underuns and you can even multi-task while burning. Plextor and a couple of other brands offer BurnProof on their newer models of CDRW drives.

Mine is a Plextor 12x10x32 for about $220

Rommel22 - I tried the same thing you did with Adaptec's Easy CD Creator 4 and got the same error. One of the scenario files (the "training" one) has a name that Adaptec says is illegal (for ISO9660 ?). I haven't tried lately with the latest patches, but I assume that the problem would still occur. Without that file CM will not recognize the CD as being a valid copy and ask for the CM CD.

Using the CD Copier instead of Easy CD will probably work. It doesn't pay attention to the file names and just copies the CD track-by-track.

Though I haven't used any other CD burning programs, it may be possible to make a copy with the latest executable, etc. instead of the straight copy that would be required with Adaptec.

Guest Rommel22

Thanx for the responses!

I will try burning it using the CD COPIER provided by Adaptec. Hope it works.

I do have enough space, 20GB, well 4 GB free.

I tried everything except using the CD COPIER.

I'll try the other programs, seems like they work for you!

Thanx!

------------------