Recommended Single-Volume WWII History?

Any recommendations for a quality single-volume history of WWII, preferably one that's in print? I'm looking for something that's factually accurate and well researched but also written with a strong narrative voice. (I.e., Ryan or Ambrose style history.) Clear maps are a must, lots of quality photos are desirable. Thanks.

(I tried a search of the forums, but it timed out.)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stacheldraht:

Any recommendations for a quality single-volume history of WWII, preferably one that's in print? I'm looking for something that's factually accurate and well researched but also written with a strong narrative voice. (I.e., Ryan or Ambrose style history.) Clear maps are a must, lots of quality photos are desirable. Thanks.

(I tried a search of the forums, but it timed out.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off the top of my head: Keegan John, The Second World War Not that many pictures or maps, & some areas concerning the EF I felt he was behind the times on concerning the the later material available now on the EF, but it's done in his typical readable narrative.

Regards, John Waters

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: PzKpfw 1 ]

Try the West Point Military History Series. I bought the three volume boxed set long ago. One volume on Europe. One volume on the Pacific. One volume is the Atlas (excellent maps). A separate volume of maps make following the battles much easier.

I answered the same need with "Delivered from Evil" by Robert Leckie, a WW2 vet and historian. 950 pages and a few maps, but no pictures.

The great thing about this book is that it is laid out year by year in short chapters, so you don't get bogged down. Plus, it reads like a novel. Easily available for $22.

Highly recommended to get an overview of what happened when in WW2, with some personal background on the key players.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lawyer:

I answered the same need with "Delivered from Evil" by Robert Leckie...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You beat me too it, Jake: that's my recommendation as well.

Get a nice atlas and you can follow along; Leckie has a wonderfully engaging style. His book on the War of Northern Agression is also recommended. Read it before CM9 - Civil War comes out!

This is a subject i have ZERO info to base an answer on, except to say that i understand 100% what this guy wants. But if WWII books are anything like Civil War books the existance of a Coffee table book AND a good read AND novel-style "good read" (all three qualities in one book) is about as easy as finding a hooker with all her teeth in downtown detroit.

You usually can find two of thoes features (usually pager-turner and well resarched) in the same book. But good maps and photos (lots of them) and a great read are not often found together. You can find a "Decent read" and maps and photos though. Just for some reason it seems that the really good writers dont do coffee table style books, dunno why. :(

Myself i tend to stay away from the multi-volume styles. Reading 1500+ pages doenst really read like a "single story arc" (which is what i assume you are looking for) it reads like half a dozen books that just happen to be given one overall title.

D guy

Stacheldraht

A book I read a year or so ago may be close to what you want:

Len Deighton "Blood, Tears & Folly", Pimlico, first pub 1993.

It covers each of the major theatres in six parts, has lots of photos (admittedly mostly of leaders and commanders), plus good maps and quite a few diagrams & tables. Further, Deighton has written quite a few novels - including several on WW2 - so I find his writing style quite accessible. :cool:

Largely revisionist, in this book he casts a critical eye over many of the myths that have sprung up around the war from all sides. Also, given that it covers the whole war in 600 odd pages don’t expect too many detailed descriptions of CM sized battles! Finally, most effort is put into the early and mid-stages of each campaign, with relatively little left to the otherwise well know and covered outcomes.

For what its worth, this book gets the “JonS Good WWII Book Endorsement” :D

Regards

JonS

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: JonS ]

I will throw in a vote for Keegan as well.

Here's why -- This book does an excellent job of combining the large scale and small scale aspects of the war. The army level war is about half of the book, talking about the major strategic decisions of the war. The results of the decisions are well illustrated with excellent maps. One of the main problems I have with some history books is the assmption that you know the area the writer is discussing very well. Keegan avoids this and just about every location he mentions is on a nearby map.

Balancing the large scale is a focus on 6 or so representative actions (tank battle, anphibeous assault etc). What is nice is that he doesn't nessesarily make the obvious choice. We've all heard about market garden (and he does cover it well in the large history sections) but the airborne assault he focuses on is the invasion of Crete. For a city fight he chooses, not Stalingrad, but Berlin. This is splendid, I learned alot about battles I knew little about.

Also I really like the organization. Many general WWII history books move chronologically. A week in russia, a week in north africa, a week in britain etc. Very hard to follow the strategy of the theater. He divides the book up into six parts: early war and late war in each of the following areas: Pacific, west/south front and east front. I also appreciate that he gives equal billing to the east and west fronts.

All and all Keegan is my favorite military historian and this book is one of his best.

--Chris

Stacheldraht,

I think "A War to be Won" Murray & Millett ISBN 067400163X is excellent. Good coverage of all the theatres and easy to read with clear headings and index. They share their opinions of many of the key commanders which I enjoy. They never could be accused of standing on the fence

:D

I forgot to mention, this book is great with "The Cassell Atlas of the Second World War". Brigadier Young. ISBN 0304352861

Both books are avaialable at amazon.com

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Viceroy ]

Have to throw in a vote for Weinberg's A World At Arms. Probably not exactly the book you're looking for, but in my opinion unmatched by any other analysis of grand strategy of the war.

If you're looking for something a little bit lighter, much shorter, and from a different point of view, consider picking up Richard Overy's Why the Allies Won. Some insights there you might find interesting, as well.

Scott B.

West Point Military History Series is apparently out of print. If you can find a used copy, buy it. These were the books used at West Point to give an overview. The Military Campaign Atlas is worth the price alone.

I found a book recently at Barnes and Nobel, haven't bought it yet, that is a single volume WWII. But damn if I can remember the name (I think it was just WWII) or who wrote it. This thing is almost a foot thick! Lots of pics from what I saw and some maps and such. I remember that it's in the bargain section for $30.00 bucks, the guy that wrote it is Ex-Military and the cover is a greenish tan?

Anybody have a clue as to what the hell I am talking about here? Does it sound familiar to anyone?

Anyway if you are in the US try checking the huge ass bargain section at your local Barnes and Nobel. They usually have a section set aside for History. I have made some excellent purchases there. I found a copy of To Hell And Back in hardcover for $7.00. Not a bad price.

Mord

All of these are great, my friend.

I'm going to recommend one that I think is the best one volume (900 pages +) you can buy on WW2.

It is by a man who was a US Marine in WW2, a machine gunner. He has written dozens of books, all great material.

His writing style is just what you are looking for.

It is Robert Leckie. His book is "Delivered From Evil."

It is the finest single work on WW2 that I have read to date and I have read all of the mentioned above.

It sells for about $15 (US).

Mr Leckie is (or was) an avid historian with a style that is captivating and personal. He feels what he writes. He does not deal just with cold hard facts.

One of the bonuses of the book are the particular insights into people (Hitler, Eisenhower, Patton, etc), events, and units.

If I could only have one, without a doubt this would be it.

I see if often in bookstores here, but never for too long.

It is published by Harper Press and is a Harper's Perennial.

Well worth it, Stacheldrat!

Wild Bill

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. I'll probably end up reading all of them smile.gif

Btw, most of you have probably seen these at your local library or used book store, but the Time-Life multi-volume series on WWII offers a fine introductory overview of different theaters, battles, and topics. Most importantly, the books feature some really amazing photographs that speak far louder than words.

This doesn't fit your requirements for writing style, but I have a big honking book called "2194 Days of War" that literally lists events for every day of WWII. Granted, the notations are rather limited but it does give a sense of how all-encompassing the conflict was. Not sure if its still in print. Fair number of maps and pictures.

GAFF

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott B:

Have to throw in a vote for Weinberg's A World At Arms. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got this on clearance for $5 (five dollars). Couldn't believe it.

It probably is not what he is looking for, because it encompasses the entire world conflict, but it was pretty good and a helluva deal.

Personally, I think Shirer's "Rise and Fall" is very dated, biased, and factually suspect. It does have the flavor of an eyewitness to the times, but I wouldn't consider it particularly scholarly. It was my introduction to the subject and I have read it all, probably many times, and it's better than nothing, but you can do better with 40 more years of research and archives to work with.

Rise and Fall of the third Riech is good? I have it burried someplace (i got it at a book closeout sale about five years ago) but told myself i wouldnt read it till i read a book about WWII overall (as well as watched some sort of overall documentary) might have to dust it off soon though. smile.gif

Iskandar...Leckie's War of Northern Agression? LOL... yeah that was a good read. Although i wouldnt recomend it for Civil War "newbies". I actually wouldnt recomend any books at all for people new to a given historical subject. Find a good documentary first, then move onto books once you have a quick "overall feel" of the subject.

Still havent made it to the Library to see what they have for WWII documetary stuff. :( LOL

D Guy

Shirer's book is certainly dated, but I don't remember an obvious bias from when I read it (granted, it's been a couple of years). And surely there are many new facts that have turned up in the years since the book was published, but so has a certain amount of revisionism. It was informative to read something written by one who was in Berlin when many of the events he describes took place, and if it wasn't entirely accurate - well, that's why we don't rely on single sources for all our answers, isn't it?

I have a question for all you well read members. Are any of you familiar with the monthly installment series called "The Complete History of the Second World War" by Cavendish(sic?) publishing? It was sold in book stores as well as grocery store magazine racks from the mid to late 70's. From what I remember in leafing through the 20 something complete binders (each binder has at least 20 issues) it appears very detailed and informative. Plenty of pictures and maps. I'm thinking about borrowing the complete set from my dad for my reading enjoyment, but I guess I'd like to know if it's worth my time. I don't want to be reading accounts that you "pro's" know to be inaccurate. Any help here? Thanks in advance...

Bigmac out!

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: bigmac@work ]

This is a great work on WW2:

Total War: Causes and Courses of the Second World War, Revised 2nd Ed.,

Peter Calvocoressi,Guy Wint,R.John. Pritchard / Paperback / Pantheon Books / September 1990

The thing is, I think it is now in two volumes, so doesn't exactly meet the one-volume specification. That said, it has an amazing treatment of the Pacific war, something that sometimes lacks in more euro-centric coverage.