Recommended Single-Volume WWII History?

I agree with Frenchy about Liddell Hart's WW2 and I agree with MkIV about Shirer. Hart was an interesting character, his other books are all thought provoking. He always had an agenda, but, if you read the preface you always knew just what he was trying to prove and could make adjustments.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thor:

This is a great work on WW2:

Total War: Causes and Courses of the Second World War, Revised 2nd Ed.,

Peter Calvocoressi,Guy Wint,R.John. Pritchard / Paperback / Pantheon Books / September 1990

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember reading a previous edition of this when it was in one volume and had only 2 authors. It was great for getting the big picture, not so much on military detail. It really put the war in the larger context, containing things you don't usually see in military history, like a discussion of Chinese society.

What I'd like to know is, is this new edition much different from the last one? Is it worth reading it all over again?

I want to second Scott B's vote for A World at Arms by Gerhard Weinberg. I wanted to add that it explains why high-level decisions were made at the time they were made, the constraints and perceptions each country operated under, and the way it dispels many myths about the realities facing the combatants.

It does not have maps, and does not explain battles in great detail. But I think it is vital to understand the course of the war.

I have a question for all you well read members. Are any of you familiar with the monthly installment series called "The Complete History of the Second World War" by Cavendish(sic?) publishing? It was sold in book stores as well as grocery store magazine racks from the mid to late 70's. From what I remember in leafing through the 20 something complete binders (each binder has at least 20 issues) it appears very detailed and informative. Plenty of pictures and maps. I'm thinking about borrowing the complete set from my dad for my reading enjoyment, but I guess I'd like to know if it's worth my time. I don't want to be reading accounts that you "pro's" know to be inaccurate. Any help here? Thanks in advance...

bigmac

I have the series "History of the Second World War", published by Marshall Cavendish that you mentioned. A wealth of pictures, diagrams and maps. A little hard to follow the course of the war, since it bounces around from theatre to theatre, but a lot of info. I got all 96 issues & the binders and it was worth it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Detroit Guy:

Rise and Fall of the third Riech is good?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the best. I cannot remember the book beeing especially bias to either side. You´ll have some great reading hours with this (these) book(s).

I remember the monthly installment mag as being really good, but I haven't looked at it since about the early 1980s.

There is a good amount of detail, and major battles are covered well, with maps, photos, &c., and many less well-known incidents, such as Katyn Wood, are covered with a high degree of detail.

All in all, I can't think of anything I've run across since then that does an equally good job of covering *everything*.

BTW I agree that Keegan is very good and very readable. The one caveat is that he is also very British. .