Achtung-PzFausts!

OK,

When these little bastards work they really work!! I just played a PBEM movie turn where a PzF 100 took out an Elite Super Pershing at 80m.

Do we have any penetration data on these little guys?

If some one can tell me how, I'll post a screenshot.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mike8g:

Barticus,

your idea seems logical, but it was an upper hull penetration :(

Here's an image:

piat.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No wonder he hit fromthat range -- your PIAT team is lead by Sean Connery. As I understand it, he was later promoted to command of a British Airborne division for his prowess.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barticus:

196m with a PIAT!? Hmm, must have hit the TOP armour ;)

B<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the PIAT was a shaped charge weapon - making the range much less important than in a standard AP round.

MrSpkr is right, shape charge work the same independent of range. The range just makes it harder to hit. If you hit the target the effects are exactly the same. Pzfausts, bazookas, and PIATs all utilize shape charge warheads.

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: USTanker ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

No wonder he hit fromthat range -- your PIAT team is lead by Sean Connery. As I understand it, he was later promoted to command of a British Airborne division for his prowess.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did he play Urqhart?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by USTanker:

MrSpkr is right, shape charge work the same independent of range.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True enough. The thing is that at extreme range you would have to aim very high and the round would be plunging by the time it got to the target.

Michael

Pnzfst 60 is also very lethal in heavy/moderate woods.

I had a tournament game where 3 M4A3 Shermans where knocked out by 3 pnzfst 60 rounds...3/3!

Another was KO'd by the infamous Pnzrshrk...all the German AT weapons where ahead of their time IMO, and they "set the standard" for future man-portable AT weapons like the RPG.

Great shot with that PIAT BTW...man, it seems that everyone else can get those damned things to work, but when I use them, they couldn't hit the broad side of an elephant's ass! :D And that goes for Bazooka teams as well...only German weapons work for me! LoL

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by USTanker:

MrSpkr is right, shape charge work the same independent of range.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True enough. The thing is that at extreme range you would have to aim very high and the round would be plunging by the time it got to the target.

Michael

The only vehicle I have seen to survive a direct hit from a Pzfaust is the ugly old churchill, direct hit "internal amour flaking" but it survived! Mind you its a slow tank and didnt get very far before getting a second direct hit and began impersonating a barbecue.

I just had a Hetzer survive something like five rounds from a Bazooka at 50-60 meters. I was astonished and rather pissed off. Upper Hull hit, no damage. Arg!

:mad: :eek:

If nothing else it scared the remainder of the AI's armor into a ambush zone I set up for one of my tanks, so I was satisfied in the end.

MrSpkr and USTanker, Micheal is correct. I was alluding more to the fact that the PIAT has a trajectory like a rainbow, and Cpl Russel (masquerading as Sean Connery) must have been Micheal Jordan's Grandfather in order to hit at that range. You are also both correct in that shaped charges will penetrata X amount of armour, if they hit, regardless of the range of the target. Any way you want to look at it, one HELL of a good shot!

B