Mac Mod Sluts Unite and Rejoice as MCM3 version 1.6 is now available on CMHQ!!!!!!!!!

Tired of having a limit to the number of winter textures you can convert for

CM on the mac? MCM3v1.6 now allows you to use more winter textures! No

longer are all winter textures stored in only one file - MCM3 now splits the

winter textures into three files, practically tripling the amount of winter

mods in CM! Additional improvements include an increase in conversion speed

and the ability to run as Carbon in OSX. Be sure to read the ReadMe

included in the download before running for the first time to ensure you

dont lose any existing winter mods.

NOTE: The full readme, including screenshots, is included in the MCM3 1.5

download, but will be available for separate download soon.

NOTE: You need to download carbonlib1.1 or higher from the Apple web site

for this version of MCM3 to run. This is NOT included in the MCM3 download

file.

Madmatt

Oooh, nifty. Talk about coincidences, I've been thinking about what I could accomplish if I wrote a mod manager myself.

While the 16 meg limit on resource files/forks (what brain-dead idiot decided that was a good one?) sucks for winter textures, it also hurts when using Hi-Res mods. I re-realized this when my M8 turned up almost entirely black.

Is there a way around this (short of re-writing CM to use BMPs on the mac instead of resource files)? I'd play around myself, but if you know off-hand that'd save me the trouble ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cubbies Phan:

Well a good work around for not having to deal with resource files is to buy a PC. tongue.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pray tell how downgrading your entire system is a good work-around?

On second thought, don't.

Thanks for the update, Matt

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: Moriarty ]

we fixed a file naming issue, if any of you experienced that.. An extra period got entered into the name, making it a wee bit harder to unstuff.

as for non-winter graphics: We tried, results indicated that placing non-winter graphics in different graphic files did NOT work.

If anyone has tried, via ResEdit, etc, and got it to work, please let me know and we'll see what we can do.

as for CMMOS: I was going to look into it, but due to the tragic events in Sept my work load has dramatically increased and I wont have much free time for the foreseeable future. I managed to squeeze this update out as it was very easy to do. CMOSS will not be as easy, I'm afraid.

enjoy, and let me know if any problems arise

dave

Hey, there's some hope for the Graphics 5 & 8 files. It seems that CM will load the graphic from ANY of the resource files it normally loads.

For example, I cut resource #3350 (that's the M8 side panel) from Graphics 5 and pasted it into Graphics 3 and it worked fine in CM.

So with effort one could shuffle resources on their own to stuff in those extra armor mods. Making MCM do this would require it to get more sophisticated with its error handling, search algorithm and reversion code. That is, it wouldn't be much fun to write ;)

Of course, I also don't know how CM loads the resource files. It may load only those files with textures it needs (so maybe it doesn't load the winter texture files if there's no snow), in which case my "solution" would be prone to problems.

If I could wish for "my one update request" and have it granted, I'd want Mac CM to be re-written to use BMP files in subfolders of the Data directory. That would make so many things so much nicer all the way around (and I'd probably even take a stab at writing a Mac CMMOS). It'll never happen (hey, maybe it did for CMBB?), but one can dream.

Cameroon,

I think we've been chatting, but to clear up for other mac users:

CM:BB will use bmps in place of the resource files. At least, i have it on good authority that it will, elminating the mod issues we currently have. ;)

as for other resource files working: we tested it and some had issues. Those may have been related to a different issue though, so more testing is taking place!

However, if we can show it works better than the current method, I'll look into updating MCM3 one more time..

stay tuned, will keep you informed.

best

dave