A Pz-IVD 3d model I am working on! Check it out!

Hi,

I am working on this Pz-IVD model in Lightwave 6.5. It's taking me about 4 weeks now to get this far. It aint done yet, I figure another 2 weeks or more to finnish it. But the hard parts are finnished (tracks). Plus I have to add textures to this thing and it'll be done.

Hope you enjoye these, tell me what you think.

tank1_render.jpg

tank2_render.jpg

tank3_render.jpg

There you go, hope you like these.

Rommel: What is Lightwave like to use? I've been using a rather bad CAD program (because its free) to produce my models. However it is rather lacking in intelegence as a program.

You can't for example view you object in many ways, all view are towards the models center of mass.

FCSs.jpg

The camo is my design I've made better ones since. But I love to jack in pro-desktop and get somthing decent.

Dan,

Lightwave is a program specifcly for building and animating 3d models. It's really easy to use, but there is alot to use and a lot to learn. The standard view is a 4 quadrant view, you have an x,y and z axis ofcourse. You can also set up the views how ever you want. You can rotate them, move them zoom in or out and so on.

Lightwave is expensive about 500 bucks I think or more. But I got it for free from a friend. As long as I am using it as a "learning" program at the moment and not using it comercial, it's legal.

Hope that helps.

p.s I am using Lightwave 6.5, version 7.0 is suppose to be out soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rommel22:

Dan,

Lightwave is a program specifcly for building and animating 3d models. It's really easy to use, but there is alot to use and a lot to learn. The standard view is a 4 quadrant view, you have an x,y and z axis ofcourse. You can also set up the views how ever you want. You can rotate them, move them zoom in or out and so on.

Lightwave is expensive about 500 bucks I think or more. But I got it for free from a friend. As long as I am using it as a "learning" program at the moment and not using it comercial, it's legal.

Hope that helps.

p.s I am using Lightwave 6.5, version 7.0 is suppose to be out soon.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm curious as to how Lightwave works. Is the standard method of modeling object, spline, or a combination of the two? I would assume the latter, as that rendering looks pretty tight. Also, can you animate backgrounds, and add a soundtrack? Probably not, but if you can, I'm gonna head out and get a copy of this here Lightwave deely.

One more question, if I may. Have you ever tried to model the human figure, or anything else with a high poly count?

You can animate anything, but you can not add sound, as far as I know. Thats done in premier or something. I am sure there is a pulgin or something to add sound stright from lightwave.

I am not sure I really understand your question about modeling, but I'll try to explain.

It depend how you want to model, I started with a box with many segments cutting the box. This way I can bend and twist and so on. giving me the main hull. I did the turret the same way. I also use cutting tools, what I mean I sue another object to cut the one I am working on.

Actually the renderign is done in a different program. Basicly it's called Lightwave but there are 2 programs. "Modeler", that is the program where you build the models. "Layout", where you do the animation and rendering of the object.

I hope that clears it up a bit.

No I have not done human model, but I will, infact I did a manaquin, which is sort of a human, but no facial features or anything. Basicly I just did the manaquin to see if I can at least pull of a body shape and I did.

The tank is pretty high in polygons, it's a bout 160 thousand polygons. And it will get higher as I have more details to add.

You might want to save those for the future when BTS comes out with CM:XXVI "Look, ever feckin' thing moves and is modelled. Are you guys happy now??" to which some grog will complain that the individual shells ejecting from a MG42 are infact .303 Brit not 8mm Mauser :D Hanns

Wow. With a little luck we'll be seeing "CM3: Rommel Edition" out soon. You won't even have to have the tanks shoot each other- the game would sell on eye candy alone. smile.gif

Sure beats my Bryce T-34s.

Hans- those shells are not only incorrect, but their physics model is all wrong. Everyone knows that the spent cases will fly 4.86m when ejected from an MG42, not the 4.17m depicted. Of course, all this changes when the MG starts running and firing from the hip. BTS fix or do somefink!

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rommel22:

You can animate anything, but you can not add sound, as far as I know. Thats done in premier or something. I am sure there is a pulgin or something to add sound stright from lightwave.

I am not sure I really understand your question about modeling, but I'll try to explain.

It depend how you want to model, I started with a box with many segments cutting the box. This way I can bend and twist and so on. giving me the main hull. I did the turret the same way. I also use cutting tools, what I mean I sue another object to cut the one I am working on.

Actually the renderign is done in a different program. Basicly it's called Lightwave but there are 2 programs. "Modeler", that is the program where you build the models. "Layout", where you do the animation and rendering of the object.

I hope that clears it up a bit.

No I have not done human model, but I will, infact I did a manaquin, which is sort of a human, but no facial features or anything. Basicly I just did the manaquin to see if I can at least pull of a body shape and I did.

The tank is pretty high in polygons, it's a bout 160 thousand polygons. And it will get higher as I have more details to add.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, now I understand. It appears to be strictly geometric object modeling. From what you said, the model of that tank would have been quite an arduous task indeed.

Sorry about the confusion generated by my questions. Let me explain, or at least try. Spline modeling (I think that's what it's called) is done in MAX by creating a series of lines and shapes (all 2D) and arranging them in a particular pattern. From what I remember, you need one line to be the path, and a number of various sized closed splines (such as a rectangle or circle) spread along the path. The path controlled the direction of the model, while the other shapes along the path made up the outside skin. It made modeling things like mugs, forks, goblets and such a cinch to model. It's hard to explain the whole process in such a small format, but I tried.

Ok now I understand tiborhead, yea, Lightwave is nothing like that. Altough you CAN make paths and than lathe the path and make glasses and vase in way you describe. But thats as far as that goes. Something like this tank I did, you do have to do it piece by piece. Which does take an awful long time, but that's expected on a model like this.

Thanx for the complimets guys!

Looking cool Rommel.

Out of interest, did you base it on a blueprint, or did you make it freehand. In case its of interest, here is a site with some blueprints, althought they vary in quality...

http://www.suurland.com/blueprints-frame.htm

Hehe, to keep CM framerate at a reasonably level we are having to make our models with about 0.05% of the polygons youve used there...one day that will change I guess, as computers become more powerful smile.gif

Dan

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

As someone who does 3D modeling for a living, I think you've done a great job. Of course, now you have to model the entire engine, transmission, breech, and other interior details, then give us section views. That should keep you busy! :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Looking cool Rommel.

Out of interest, did you base it on a blueprint, or did you make it freehand. In case its of interest, here is a site with some blueprints, althought they vary in quality...

http://www.suurland.com/blueprints-frame.htm

Hehe, to keep CM framerate at a reasonably level we are having to make our models with about 0.05% of the polygons youve used there...one day that will change I guess, as computers become more powerful smile.gif

Dan

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome! Man, what a great site! I'm bookmarking this page now, just in case I get 3D Studio back.

Thanks a bunch!