shogun or command mission

i will be buying one or the other soon, and i know they are different, so it is hard to compare the two. im am asking if there is anyone who has played both, and which game did they enjoy more. i have done some searching on the internet and found these to games to be the most interesting, and i play to download the demos for each. in the meantime, any input would be nice.

<marquee> smile.gif <marquee/>

------------------

when evil is spoken about you, live so that noone can believe it

I have played both. Shogun was fun for a week or so. Combat Mission has replaced Steel Panther's on my hard drive. I played Steel Panther's for years, I,II,III, SPWWII and SPWAW, never thought it would be put aside but it has.

I have Shogun, played it for at least three hours before I got frustrated with the interface.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

What the hell is with the moving sig? Freaking me out!

Ahem... anyway... I bought Shogun BEFORE I bought CM. I'm a big samurai fan, and for about a week I thought Shogun was the ultimate wargame. For what it is... it is very, very good!

After a week I d/loaded the CM Demo... and I TRIED to go back to Shogun, but instead found myself shelling out $50 to BTS...

I then sold Shogun on EBaY to pay off the Credit Card.

If you like BOTH WWII and, well, Shoguns... then I say GET CM NOW! (Combat Mission IS the better game!) If you really, really prefer Feudal Japan... then go ahead and get Shogun, it IS a very good game... in fact it's the best Samurai wargame on the market.

------------------

"Fear is for the enemy... Fear and Bullets."

"They didn't want to come... but I told em, by jeepers, it was an order."

I have both. Get CM. It's a lot more interesting and versatile and there are tons of mods to change any visual or sound you want. Shogun is pretty good as well, but I got tired of it within a few weeks. Unless you are a major fan of the Sengoku Jidai period, CM is the better buy but I would recommend getting both in the end. However, wait for the new edition of Shogun to come out before getting it (that way you get both the original Shogun and the upcoming expansion pack that includes the Mongol hordes). Also, there are not a whole lot of games based on the samurai period available. In over 15 years, I can only remember two being put out {Sword of the Samurai by Microprose and another game I can't remember the name to). Don't expect another game on this period for another good long while.

--Also, if you use a Hercules 3d Prophet 2 using the latest drivers, you might run into a problem. Shogun won't run with the drivers for some of us. You'll get autorun menu but when you try to run it it'll crash or hang. You have to go to the earlier 5.22v drivers or something like that. It'll work fine then. I've experienced no problems whatsoever with CM since it came out.

[This message has been edited by Commissar (edited 03-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Commissar (edited 03-14-2001).]

Originally posted by Leonidas:

Shogun is good for 2-3 weeks, but CM will last you for months if not years.

Months? Years? How's about a lifetime? CM Rocks! Shogun was pretty good, but interest faded quickly over time. The more I play CMBO, the more obsessed I get with the game. I've become a Combat Mission Zombie.

Hello. My name is Leeo, and I play Combat Mission. At first, I used to just play it now and then, you know, just socially. Then, before I knew it, I was playing CM alone. Then I was playing CM before I went to work, and as soon as I got home. Next thing you know, I'm posting to the CM forum.

Private Paurtz,

I purchased Combat Mission and was extremely pleased with it.

The gameplay was good and the detailing historically accurate.

But I strongly urge you to think before you buy this game -

I was playing Combat Mission when I noticed a strong smell of burning plastic. I tried to ignore it but it the smell increased for every minute I played.

Feeling ill from the smell, I made the decision to remove the Combat Mission CD from the drive and place it back in its case.

I quickly got a shock: as I reached to the CD drive the Combat Mission disk WAS ON FIRE and it was the rubber silicon in my wig which was melting.

I screamed and ran to my next door neighbour where the kind old lady put me out with ice cold water.

After heavy reconstrucive surgery I am slowly getting my life back. The doctor reckons I've got a good six months left in me yet.

So think before you buy Combat Mission.

Regards, Bates.

CM, frankly without question.

I PREFER the period covered by Shogun and MP can be quite good (although, if all y'all think CM'ers are gamey, you aint seen NOTHING like the MP on Shogun) but, honestly, it's not even much of a match.

------------------

"Watching others make friends, as a dog makes friends. I mark the manner of these canine courtesies and say, 'Thank God, here comes another enemy'" -- Rostand

its unanimous then, i will probably buy cm thanks to you guys. unless i post the same question on a shogun board and get completly opposit biased opinions towards shogun. then, im back at square one. but, i think the demos should help me decide personally. thanx for the input. just hope my 16meg video 350mhz and 128 ram is enough for this game.

<marquee> biggrin.gif <marquee/>

[This message has been edited by Private Paurtz (edited 03-14-2001).]

I have played both.

Here is your solution.

1.) Buy CM

2.) Go to Ebay and buy Nobungas Revenge for the NES

3.)Dig NES out of closet

4.) Play NES until CM gets there to justify purchase of Nobunga's Revenge.

5.) While playing NES pop in old games like Metroid, Zelda I, and Tyson punch out and realize that they still rock.

6.)Recieve CM

7.)Install CM

8. Never look back

Welcome to the addiction

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Kryton of Red Dwarf

Originally posted by Private Paurtz:

its unanimous then, i will probably buy cm thanks to you guys. unless i post the same question on a shogun board and get completly opposit biased opinions towards shogun. then, im back at square one. but, i think the demos should help me decide personally. thanx for the input. just hope my 16meg video 350mhz and 128 ram is enough for this game.

As a customer of mine likes to say, you got plenty of 'juice' to run CM, even the large missions. Of course, if you install all the hi-res mods, things will get choppy. I would advise to choose your mods wisely ( wink.gifyoung grasshopper wink.gif).

smile.gif

one last thing, a friend of mine has basically the same computer, except he has a 400 mhz pentium II (mines an amd k-6) with only 4mb video. he is worried about performance problems with his sub-par video card.

btw, thankx for easing my mind about perf probs. now i have no reason not to purchase.

------------------

when evil is spoken about you, live so that noone can believe it

I jjust spent a few days last week playing shogun. It is pretty, and addictive, but compared to CM?

While doing combat in Shogun I kept wanting to change views like I can in CM, the terrain, although beautiful, becomes boring after a few battles, the castle battles are laughably abstracted, AI cheats (or so it seems)in the strategic game, assaulting across a bridge also becomes boring after a few battles. The strategic game is fun, a lot like risk. You get really bored with the little movies after you have seen them half a dozen times...I now have CM back in the cd drive and I don't think I'll remove it again.

If Shogun used CM's engine, then it would be an excellent game!

Guest MantaRay

I bought Shogun and returned it 2 days later. It was pretty, but battles seemed to be decided more by how many Archers you had, than by any sense of tactics. Braveheart had the same combat modeling in my opinion. And going accross bridges was boring and the same battle everytime.

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

New Site of the PLA:Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

Originally posted by Private Paurtz:

one last thing, a friend of mine has basically the same computer, except he has a 400 mhz pentium II (mines an amd k-6) with only 4mb video. he is worried about performance problems with his sub-par video card.

btw, thankx for easing my mind about perf probs. now i have no reason not to purchase.

Truthfully, a 4MB video card ain't gonna cut it. The bare minimum on a PC system is about 16MB. I have a 32MB TNT2 card and it is even taxed with all the hi-res mods I have installed. I definately recomend getting a 32MB card or better anyway. A 32MB TNT2 card goes for about $25 now.

Guest HENTZAU

Ok heres an unbiased answer. I play RB3D mostly, but I have Shogun and CMBO. If RB3D multiplayer didn't exist, CMBO would be the game I was playing most often. Shogun was interesting and pretty, but sort of repetitive. Combat Mission isn't repetitive. Good for many more hours of fun than Shogun. I haven't touched Shogun since the first week I got it.

Originally posted by Maximus:

Truthfully, a 4MB video card ain't gonna cut it. The bare minimum on a PC system is about 16MB. I have a 32MB TNT2 card and it is even taxed with all the hi-res mods I have installed. I definately recomend getting a 32MB card or better anyway. A 32MB TNT2 card goes for about $25 now.

You hardware snobs. wink.gif 4MB works just fine, decent scrolling and 800x600 resolution (I know that this isn't the Graphics heaven that some of you live in). I have a lowly PII 266MHz with a 4MB RIVA card. It probably helps that it is an AGP card. I admit that certain senerios are hard to play, but most of them are very playable. I have played all the way up to Large senerios and have had no problem with TXP/IP QBs. Telling people otherwise only looses potential customers (i.e. $$$) for BTS.

Maximus, I would be interested in a TNT-2 for $25+S&H. I hope that they sell it over the web. I haven't seen such fantastic deals, could you please point me in the right direction.

thanks,

Theron

Originally posted by Theron:

Maximus, I would be interested in a TNT-2 for $25+S&H. I hope that they sell it over the web. I haven't seen such fantastic deals, could you please point me in the right direction.

thanks,

Theron

Try PriceWatch.com.

Whoops, I'm sorry a 32MB TNT2 is running $49+S&H. 8MB versions are like $28.

Hell, a 64MB Geforce 2 MX is only $142. I paid $199 for my 32MB TNT2 in late '99.

------------------

For your dream car click here.

For a Close Encounter click here.

Hey look! I can see my house!

And for all you Hamster Lovers out there, check this out! Kitty, this one's for you!