BTS, time to consider another programmer?

I know you guys are hot and heavy into CM2 and I also know that Charles is the uberprogrammer. He's doing a wonderful job. But, since I have too much time on my hands right now, I was thinking about the future for you guys (I know, no need to thank me, just willing to help smile.gif).

Anyway, have you guys considered adding a programmer right now to tinker around with CM1? Maybe add some new vehicles or a new command or two. Nothing major, just enough to get his/her feet wet into the inner workings of CM. That way, he/she can pitch in and help with CM2 support after it has been released to allow Charles to rewrite the engine for CM3. Then, once the engine is rewritten, he/she can then backfit CM1 and CM2 for the new engine while Charles charges ahead on CM3.

Just a thought. I'm not a programmer, so I'm not fishing for a job, but just from an efficiency point of view this seems to be a logical evolution for your company. Maybe Kwazydog or MadMatt is that programmer?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

This is insulting, ignorant and just plain stupid. Has anyone else noticed that Steve no longer posts here?

Now I will admit that the post is a bit condesencing, but I wouldn't put it down quite so harshly. It asks some good questions for those who (like us!) are interested in the future of CM.

Given the success of CM1 would BTS consider or are they considering hireing another programmer?

Have the considered licencing their engine to other companies?

Would they consider releasing CM1 as an open source project at some point in the (far) future such that it could be upgraded with new weapons systems etc by fans?

Would they consider licencing the game to a group of fans who would continue to upgrade the origional game while the new one was worked on?

BTS can feel free to ignore these questions (and has every right too!) but they are legitimate ones.

--Chris

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

This is insulting, ignorant and just plain stupid. Has anyone else noticed that Steve no longer posts here?

Anyone wonder why? Or blame him?

Excuse me? What's the problem with the question? I'm not trying to be condescending. I'm genuinely interested in the answer.

But, if you guys feel it's a stupid question, I'll be more than happy to delete it. I'm a reasonable guy.

Mr Dorosh, don't you think you were a little harsh to our friend Juardis here? He was not being ignorant, stupid or condescending. If anyhting he was being a little too idealistic and hopeful.

I sure wish they'd hire another programmer -- it gets me CM2 faster. And I sure wish they'd make CM open-source, more mods! I understand that its not our place to tell them what to do, but is it such a crime to ask? (Even if it is so far-fetched as to be a hopeless cause.)

Juardis, don't delete your thread. It opens up dialogue about our favorite game and our favorite Wargame company, and that is a good thing. I am sure neither Steve nor Charles will feel insulted. They will probably just get a kick out of your suggestions, then they'll go roll in their piles of money (LOL).

Guest wwb_99

Well, I have seen BTS' answer on this question. All costs aside, they have stated something to the effect that it would be as much work to integrate this guy into the team and into the code as it would be to have Charles do it himself. Team programming is more difficult than one would think. Ever wonder why MS Office has so many odd bugs?

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Check out the Dogs of War CM Players Community

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Anyone wonder why? Or blame him?

BBSes don't have ignore options, so you've been added to my Moron List.

I dont know about programmers, but I distinctly remember Steve or Charles saying in several interviews and possibly on this very forum that they did not, in the forseeable future, wish to license their engine to anyone.

I dont see anything wrong with discussing this, either. We are fans. This is a public board. We can talk about anything that relates to CM, and this does.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

........And I sure wish they'd make CM open-source, more mods.........

I like things the way they are. Closed source. I came to CMBO from recent PGII play and the never ending story of new and improved equipment files. I hope CM never ends up where any modder can put together what they consider to be _THE_ equipment list or massage the list to change unit attributes to fit their view what should be.

It would be a modsluts heaven and a scenario designers hell smile.gif

Originally posted by wwb_99:

Well, I have seen BTS' answer on this question. All costs aside, they have stated something to the effect that it would be as much work to integrate this guy into the team and into the code as it would be to have Charles do it himself. Team programming is more difficult than one would think. Ever wonder why MS Office has so many odd bugs?

WWB

Right, I saw something like that myself. But selfishly speaking, if Charles is the only one doing the programming, then we have to wait until he's finished with one project before working on another. What I am suggesting is that Charles get an assistant that continues what Charles started. That way very little integration would have to occur. Charles does all the original coding, a few patches, then leaves it to the assistant to improve upon it if he can. That way, Charles gets working on the next project much sooner than if he were listening to us whine about penetration values and turret speeds and trying to do something about it. The assistant could worry about any bugs or improvements that remain while Charles charges ahead with the rewrite.

Yes, I too heard that CM1 will be back fitted with CMII once the engine is rewritten. But perhaps the assistant could do the back fitting freeing up Charles to work on CM3. That way, the delay between CM2 and CM3 would be minimized.

I just want to emphasize, I'm not telling BTS what to do. I'm not implying that they're being inefficient or slow or unresponsive. I have the utmost respect for these guys and I want to see them make even more games and more money. It's just that right now seems to be a good time to bring in a new programmer to learn as much as possible about the coding while bugging Charles as little as possible.

I think there is a big difference between offering game play experience on this forum, and telling Charles and Steve how to run their business. I really don't mind when guests in my home comment on the decor, but if people came in and sat around for almost two years doing nothing but tearing apart every aspect of the place, I would eventually run screaming as would most people. Once it got to the point where not only were people telling me what to do, but then making suggestions on how to do it, that is where I would draw the line. Especially since, for all we know, there are 6 programmers - or 1 - or maybe 223. We just don't know, speculating seems silly, and if I get added to some "moron" list for saying so, pencil me in under people who feel the need to go beyond design issues into advice on how to run the business. If anyone has ever been to the BTS "design lab" feel free to post about your experience there.

Otherwise, let's stick to the chatter about firepower, scenario design, the historical employment of German MGs, the latest mods, and the haircuts in Enemy at the Gates.

Guest Madmatt

I read this in the vein it was intended and no insult was meant or given. Time to move on as this matter can be dealt with privately.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 03-30-2001).]