Anti-Aircraft MG42------Where the heck is it??!

Hello all..couldnt get the bloody search to work, it keeps freezing up! :mad:

Where is the AA MG-42 in CM? It was just an MG-42 mounted on a tall tri-pod, and it was usually(from what I have read) placed in a foxhole and then camoflage put over it to help conceal it...so, why isnt this weapon in CM?

Any thoughts...(I want them because they are harder for the planes to see, so you can fire at the planes, and not have your AA positions destroyed by the planes(which happens to me...

-Fieldmarshall

mg11.jpg

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Fieldmarshall ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fieldmarshall:

Where is the AA MG-42 in CM?

It was just an MG-42 mounted on a tall tri-pod, and it was placed in a foxhole and then camoflage put over it to help conceal it...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd hate to tell you this but have you looked in all foxholes and under all covers?

And have you noticed there's a Charlie?

That cute little fella should be easy to find.

Unless he had been killed and was MODed in which case the red and white stripes wouldn't be that obvious afterward.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fieldmarshall:

Hello all.. Where is the AA MG-42 in CM? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well.. it's not in CM! smile.gif

Not going to be either, since the game is done.

Lots of stuff was left out for one reason or another. Usually because the item in question was not common enough, or because there was something else close enough. Not being common enough (assumedly) was the reason AA MG's were left out of german tanks. There were some, but it seemed most tanks did not have them.

Do you have any info of how common this system was? Or if it was any good? Any planes shot down with it? Without info like this it will likely not be around in CM2 either...

I notice the tripod on the right is a different configuration of the standard German tripod as found in CM. If it were possible for the MG42's to fire at aircraft in CM, one would have to order them to reconfigure the tripod, which would take a minute or two. In 'ground' mode it couldn't shoot at air targets, and in 'air' mode it couldn't shoot at ground targets. Actually, the manual suggests that infantry will sometimes shoot at aircraft, although I've never seen this and rather hoped they would on the occasion that I lost my AA assets and an aircraft was taking my force of halftracks to pieces. I had a couple of MG42's sitting doing nothing but they didn't fire a shot.

A lone 7.92mm MG is extremely unlikely to harm a fighterbomber seriously. Typhoons and Thunderbolts are quite rugged aircraft, and many of them sustained multiple 20mm hits without going down. Enough mass of ~30 cal fire from small arms might discourage repeat passes, but that is about it - the chance of it bringing down the plane would be very low.

Most small arms fire, except .50 cal, was more designed to aid the moral of the guys beimg attacked, not bring down an enemy plane. In the Falklands LMG gunners dired hundreds of thousands of rounds at planes flying to fast and to far away to hit. The idea was to give the Tommies a feeling they were fighting back.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Most small arms fire, except .50 cal, was more designed to aid the moral of the guys beimg attacked, not bring down an enemy plane. In the Falklands LMG gunners dired hundreds of thousands of rounds at planes flying to fast and to far away to hit. The idea was to give the Tommies a feeling they were fighting back.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the 80's version of the Army's Air Defense Manual it says that if they are able to, troops should be allowed to fire small arms at aircraft. It gives exactly the same reason as Slapdragon.

There are similar mounts for Brens and probably DP's and Browning 1919's too I imagine.

Shrug - probably only of use in rear areas anyway - troosp at het front are hardly going to want to stand up tall to use that while the enemy is advancing on them!

FYI as an infantryman I was told to shoot (make-believe!) at atacking a/c on exercises. As an aircraft mechanic I'm aware that tyou don't have to shoot them down to have an effect - a bullet in a turbine engine will probably send any modern a/c home post haste, and the same principle applies to Thunderbolts or anything else - if you can damage them so the pilot notices then they may well abort.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Most small arms fire, except .50 cal, was more designed to aid the moral of the guys beimg attacked, not bring down an enemy plane. In the Falklands LMG gunners dired hundreds of thousands of rounds at planes flying to fast and to far away to hit. The idea was to give the Tommies a feeling they were fighting back.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Nam, a F111 was knocked out for a single 7.62 round smile.gif

Seems like the bullet make a hole through a lubricant valvle, making the engine overheat and stop... The plane crashed...

Thousands of planes flew hundreds to low thousands of sorties per day in Nam, for the better part of 8 years, and were on the receiving end of flak thicker than that over Germany in WW II when going up north. The NVA had 100mm, 85mm, 57mm, 40mm, 37mm, 30mm, and 23mm quad radar directed AA guns, SAM-2 missles, as well as flocks of AA MGs and countless small arms. In all of that, certainly a plane or three were knocked down by 30 cal fire. But the chance that one FB would be knocked down by 1 AA MG in 2-3 passes over five minutes or less, then or in WW II, was tiny. Millions of weapons firing at thousands of targets regularly, for years on end, is not one firing at one for 30 seconds.

You'd be better off playing the lottery...

argie... How did they manage to find out that the F-111 was taken down by a single bullet? Any time a plane goes down it is extremely difficult to determine what took it down, especially when the plane is in thousands of pieces spread over a large area.

Since it was hit by small arms fire I can assume it was over enemy held territory making it even more difficult to determine what knocked it out of the sky.

Just wondering.... :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kburns24:

argie... How did they manage to find out that the F-111 was taken down by a single bullet? Any time a plane goes down it is extremely difficult to determine what took it down, especially when the plane is in thousands of pieces spread over a large area.

Since it was hit by small arms fire I can assume it was over enemy held territory making it even more difficult to determine what knocked it out of the sky.

Just wondering.... :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was trying to found the quote, with no result so far smile.gif

Seems like the plane was taking off or landing in a friendly base and crashed... They disasembled the thing (was in the first [pathetic] deployment of the F111) to see what happens and found that nice bullet in the valvle...

I wasn't making a point of it, just quoting an interesting outliar :D