MAJOR MOD RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Well for those of you who have been anxiously awaiting the complete set of Marco/Gordon/Pawbroon/Magua/Feldgrau of mods, you're wait is almost over.

As some of you may know, Gordon has been working on a total replacement for the batch files. He has worked up a Windows Executable program that will totally replace ALL of the batch files. He has also included swap procedures for different versions of winter textures.

Now however the "_suffixes" have changed a bit, so we will have NEW versions of these mods to download. But I promose you that you'll like this alot.

This total change came upon because we were getting to a point with the batch files that it was becoming a problem with coding up the main batch files to work properly. The problem arose when trying to code in Camo Priests and that's when Gordon decided to scrap the batch files.

Also, since a lot of people didn't care for the system to begin with, you've got no excuse this time. This new system is so easy a chimpanzee could use it. Well, it's a bit like the Mod Manager, but a little different.

There's going to be a lot of new mods with this one. So get your modems some tall glasses of ice water or beer or whatever European model drink, ;) and get ready to

download a bunch.

Oh, I almost forgot. What makes this program so neat is that it can easily incorporate a new mod (Allied only at this time) by just adding the standard suffixes (_us, _ff, etc) to your files.

Either Manx or Madmatt or both will do the hosting for these mods. We are now nearing the completion of this monstrosity. We are also trying to give everybody the most bang for their buck so that we can let the batch files die their most deserved death quickly.

OK,

The new mods to be included are as follows. (I think).

1) Camo Priest.

2) Camo M8 Greyhound/M20 Util. Car

3) Kitchen Sink treatment to Magua's Halftracks. (_us, _ff, _uk, _camo, etc.)

4) Snow Stuarts (Stuarts, Stuart Roo, T8 Recon)

5) Snow Shermans

6) Snow Greyhounds

7) Snow Priest

8) Snow Halftracks

9) Snow Trucks

10) Whitewashed versions of 4-10 above.

Now you ask, why new versions of all the above? Well this program called CMMOS (CM Mod Option Selector) will allow you to select between several different options of winterization including w/stars, w/aerial recognition panels, and w/both. So they now have their own suffixes.

The beauty of it all, they are all prepackaged, all you have to do is copy in all the files and then let CMMOS do the rest.

The program will also allow for building switching (however this option won't be available upon this release). Building sets such as stock, Magua's, Panzertruppens, etc.

We are also looking into working in Fernando's batch files as well. And perhaps Andrew Fox's uniforms. This CMMOS will be able to do it all--eventually.

------------------------

Now you both mentioned deleting stuff. DON'T do that. These mods still have the _suffixes. The new ones should be brand new. In other words, there won't be any files in your BMP folder that have the same name.

This program will also require a "patch" if you will, which will fill in all the missing files from previous mods. Some older mods didn't have all the necessary files and if you noticed the old batch file had to be modified to fix some of these. The missing files were just naming ommisions. Such as a file that needed a _us suffix that it didn't have. That sort of thing.

So sorry folks, you will still have a "bloated" bmp folder, however what you will have is a streamlined way of installing all of these variations. I promise, you all will like it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACTOR:

And when will we get to use this beast? I want to know when!!! When! When! When!

:D

Thanks for the work, folks like yourself have made this community what it is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully within the next week or so. Gordon is finishing up work on another mod this weekend and then CMMOS should be ready for release. Another nifty feature of the program is the ability to write in new mods by making a few small .txt files that are easy to download for anyones modem. Even if a certain mod isn't supported with the initial release version, you can write it in fairly easily at home.

I just wanted to clarify a few points to make sure that nobody gets the wrong impression of what CM Mod Option Selector (CMMOS) is all about. Note, all of this is covered in excruciatingly gory detail in the README file that accompanies CMMOS.

First, you will not have to re-download your existing Bergman/Molek/etc. Allied batch file-based mods. CMMOS was built on top of the infrastructure we created with the existing batch file system (we're still working with Fernando to architect his German vehicle mods, so there might or might not be slight changes there).

The "patch" mod that Maximus refers to fixes some naming inconsistencies in some of the early batch file-based mods so that they work seamlessly with CMMOS.

Many of the existing Bergman/Molek/Fernando snow-covered and whitewashed mods will be re-issued to work with CMMOS, allowing easy swapping between the two styles of winter mods (and the various alternative textures, e.g. markings, stars, aerial recognition panels, etc.).

We (at least I) probably won't be re-issuing revised building mods although the rules will be included in CMMOS to allow swapping between, for instance, Gunslinger's, Magua's Normandy set, etc.) as renaming the files to match the rules is quite easy.

Gordon

This sounds really great! How much is this going to cost? I would expect to pay $100 for a product like this, but hopefully some English guy will tell me that if I act quickly I can get it for 3 easy payments of $19.95 each, and get a second tube for free.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

This sounds really great! How much is this going to cost? I would expect to pay $100 for a product like this, but hopefully some English guy will tell me that if I act quickly I can get it for 3 easy payments of $19.95 each, and get a second tube for free.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ACT NOW and you will receive a free 5 lb. bucket of our world-reknown product Oxyclean.

Activated by the air we breathe, mixed with water it creates the ultimate cleaning substance.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I don't think the mod manager can handle all the options available with these mods.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, yes and no actually. It's primarily a difference in outlook. I've had this conversation (on this board) with TwoSheds in the past, and I'm not averse to possibly working towards "merging" the CM Mod Manager and CM Mod Option Selector functionality in the future. The primary difference in funtionality is that CM Mod Manager is focused on installing a single mod at a time in a very flexible way. CM Mod Option Selector, however is geared towards applying the same transformation across multiple mods (potententially involving every BMP in the game). To acheive the same effect with CM Mod Manager requires many more actions to select, for instance, the Canadian versions of all the mods that support UK and Canadian versions and re-installing them, whereas CM Mod Option Selector requires just a couple of clicks.

Neither is inherently better or worse, they're just different.

Gordon

Well, I'm not one for change but it sure sounds good to me. Not being real computer smart myself however I just hope us dummies will be able to figure it out? It sounds like somebody has put alot of time and energy into this and I for one want to thank them for keeping the game interesting and fresh. Acutally that thanks is to all the people that have improved the appearance of CM thur mods and such. I am sure all of you will go to heaven, at least if I have anything to say about it. :D

Gordon et al,

I (and I assume lotsa others here @ the Forum) awaits your program. Sure sounds interesting. If it makes the current task (to install mods with different options) simpler + easier, as well as for future mods, then I say BRING IT ON!

Hopefully it will not only work smart, but also look the part too. smile.gif (e.g. see Fuerte's PBEM HELPER.)

Kind regards and thanking you in advance,

Charl Theron

CMMOS does make things simpler by the mere fact that the EXE is driven by Rules and not by Batch.

Many Rules had already been added by the Beta Team since its first sneak release and it's a real improvement to be able to swap uniforms and things like a breeze.

However, because there is a huge BUT, you'll have to download again most of your MODs.

I foresee some major crackdowns on the regular CM sites.

If some of us Broadband users could host some files and spread them around using softs like WinSplit, it would save some major hassle over that release.

Those of you who are under or around 56k could readily expect a meltdown the magnitude of which would dwarf Three Miles Island.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:

Well, yes and no actually. It's primarily a difference in outlook. I've had this conversation (on this board) with TwoSheds in the past, and I'm not averse to possibly working towards "merging" the CM Mod Manager and CM Mod Option Selector functionality in the future. The primary difference in funtionality is that CM Mod Manager is focused on installing a single mod at a time in a very flexible way. CM Mod Option Selector, however is geared towards applying the same transformation across multiple mods (potententially involving every BMP in the game). To acheive the same effect with CM Mod Manager requires many more actions to select, for instance, the Canadian versions of all the mods that support UK and Canadian versions and re-installing them, whereas CM Mod Option Selector requires just a couple of clicks.

Neither is inherently better or worse, they're just different.

Gordon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Mod manager only install one mod at a time? or something similar to that, but with multiple selections.

With CMMOS, you'll be able to install ALL mods of one sort with just 2 or 3 clicks. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>For example, you want to install ALL of the US Camo versions of every Marco/Molek/Feldgrau mod available. With CMMOS you can do that with just 3 clicks: Select the US Camo Icon, select U-shoe or rubber bloc tracks, and then click "Apply". That's it!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right now I'm working on a Ruleset that will allow you to switch German Uniform mods ranging from Andrew's unis, Scipio's unis, and my Felgrau repaints of Andrew's Heer. I'm also including a sub-option like in the above example to switch between helmet textures.

BTW, Gordon, can you have 3 rules in a Ruleset? I need to figure out a way to be able to choose trouser styles from full camo to match the tunic to regular field trousers.

Again, not to pick nits, but I want to clarify a couple of points that have been made since my last clarification post. smile.gif

Use of existing batch file-enabled mods with CMMOS will not require re-downloading all the mods over again. Only a small-ish "patch" mod is required to "fix" a few of the existing batch file-enabled mods.

If you want to use CMMOS to quickly and easily swap between snow-covered and whitewashed versions of the Allied AFVs (and soon German AFVs), you'll want to download the new CMMOS versions of several mods (we never created a winter batch file system).

Similarly, there will be other CMMOS-enabled versions of existing mods (see Maximus' comments regarding uniform mods), but it is up to each person to decide which CMMOS-enabled mods to download (or not).

Maximus,

You better e-mail me some clarification on your question, I don't quite follow what you are asking. A RuleSet can have a (sufficiently) large number of different Rules, each of which can have a large number of Options.

Gordon

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:

Use of existing batch file-enabled mods with CMMOS will not require re-downloading all the mods over again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flash, how am I tp put the fear of God in them if you contradict me?

Of course you don't need to download everything.

You should know that I'm aware of that.

Ok guys! Flash spilled it!

Everybody will be able to use CMMOS!

Why is it that we can't keep this for ourselves already?

:D

Did I say "simple + easy"? ;)

I'm already confused (sidenote: Lest we forget, Pengers thrive in chaos), but I'll give you computer propellers the benefit of the doubt when CMMOS comes out. Read: I'm willing to be a guinea pig.

Just ask Fuerte how PBEM HELPER was improved because of my constant prodding! :D

Good luck gentleman,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif