Mines & The Visibility Thereof

please "whup my ass" if there's already been a thread on this but:

I'm damned if i can work out the rules for revealing mines. Sometimes they seem to be visible from miles away, sometimes you don't see them until you've detonated one. How the heck does this work? I like using them, but I'm never sure where to put them.

Help!

:confused:

AFAIK, regular mines are only spotted when your troops walk or drive into them. Daisy chain mines can be spotted from a distance. Some people claim that they can spot regular anti tank and anti personnel mines before they reach them, but I don't think BTS has given a definitive answer on this.

Yep.

You can only spot the daisy-chain minefields. Regular AT and the AP mines can only be found by running over them. :D Also, engineers will remove daisy-chain after a turn or two without wasting one of their demo charges. But to remove regular minefields they need to use a demo charge (think of it as representing a bangalore).

- Chris

Units can spot mines from a distance. Once in a game against the AI on the "Grafenwohr" training scenario I spotted an AP mine field very early in the game. My nearest unit was more than 700m away! :(

Dschugaschwili

PS: Forgot to mention: IIRC the mine field was in scattered trees (definitely not in open ground).

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Dschugaschwili ]

thats sounds reasonable Gyrene, but it'd be nice to know the formula. Also, i presume terrain/cover has some effect.

I get a lot of maileage out of putting AP mines in woods/trees, but AT mines seem to get skirted round most of the time (although I think thats my placement as much as anything).

Well.. just a day or two ago I had one –company- of –elite engineers- searching in vain for a dozen or so tightly deployed AT and AP mine fields (in open terrain). The engineers sat around or moved slowly in and around the mine fields for several minutes without seeing anything…

Just bad luck?

In any event, they can be hard to spot…

M.

Here is my experience with minefields. In a scenario setup to test engineers removing minefields, the AP minefields vanished when the engineer unit got within about 10 meters. The engineer took out the AT minefield with a satchel charge after a delay of at least 30 seconds. Interesting. I can't attest to the visibility since I was on the receiving end.

Mines & spotting them - hit & miss, probably like in real life. Some of my experiences: (1) German engineer squad 'walked' over the expected AT mine site in open terrain: no see mines. Two halftracks drive over the site: see no mines, pass over OK. Third halftrack (fortunately not a precious tank) drives over site and 'discovers' the AT mines the 'hard' way by detonating a mine - cool!

(2) a quite usual situation: hidden AT minefield. Halftrack drives over site and is ok. Damn, if a tank/sp gun follows up the halftrack and it 'discovers' the AT minefield the hard way - real cool.

It is just the fates of war and, I would suggest, probably is quite realistic. Cheers.

Richard Cuccia, richardcuccia@home.com, ICQ# 116577632.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>i have to disagree, gentlemen. i did a few qbs for this purpose, and each time some ATM's were revealed by inf from a distance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've *never* seen this. IMO, those mines had to have been daisy-chain AT mines. The Daisy chain mines (which simply sit on top of the ground) are easily spotted.

Can you create a scenario which demonstrates the ability to see regular AT mines (not the Daisy-chain type)? I can create one which has perfectly clear LOS and has multiple battalions of elite troops sitting in a mixed minefield of AT and AP mines, and never spots them until someone moves. But it's hard to prove a negative, of course. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

[QB]Units can spot mines from a distance. Once in a game against the AI on the "Grafenwohr" training scenario I spotted an AP mine field very early in the game. My nearest unit was more than 700m away! :(

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your opponent's troops run through the mines, they will set them off, and you'll be able to see the minefield, even if you have no physical LOS to the mines themselves.

- Chris

[Edit: edited to make it a bit more clear what mines I was referring to]

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Wolfe ]

I've seen mines several times and they were't Daisy since I've never once bought them so they were either tank or personel mines. I've seen them from way off what ever that means ( a long ways - maybe 1000 meters or there abouts. But some times I don't either. I always wondered why I don't always see them, now I know. I'm not supposed to so the times I do I'm lucky.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I've also seen mines from great distances. They were not daisy's. The distance was appx. 830 meters. They were spotted by a veteran Pioneer platoon HQ unit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious, how does one tell the difference between a regular AT minefield and a daisy chain once laid. AFAIK all you see is the generic mine post sticking out of the ground.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radar:

Well, try zooming in on the little sign..(as for telling the mine type) and it will have a sticky exploding man or tank. Hence, AP or AT..

posticon24.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Radar,

Which mines are you referring to? The AT mines in CM have a skull and crossbones, along with the words "Achtung Minen! Panzer!". I've yet to see one with an exploding tank.

Both the regular AT mines and the Daisy chain use the same sign.

KF,

When the game ends, look at the map, click on the mines, and then you know. DC mine fields are also noticeably smaller than buried mine fields.

It also helps when your opponent confirms the fact that he purchased no daisy's, only conventionals.