OT: Things I've learned from watching "Cross of Iron"

Things I’ve learned from watching "Cross of Iron":

"He said YES… didn’t he, Kepler… he said YES! Didn’t he, Kepler?!?

It is quite amusing to be called an "ehr-row-ik orr-ses aah-sss."

A German officer can have a really swinging time, especially if he is stationed in the south of France.

Russian soldiers under the age of twelve tend to look alike.

Germans have the ability to tear through a salad bar, just like they tore through Poland and France.

Private Deitz must not have been able to avoid the sunlight.

Never, ever, attempt to sodomize a Russian.

Steiner isn’t a man… he’s a MYTH.

The most battle-hardened German can be brought to a dead standstill with a big, juicy kiss.

German moustaches are a bad idea.

A favorite tactic of saboteurs was to sneak into German banquets and spike the punch bowl with Acid.

Russians are good on the attack, but don’t hire them to guard anything important.

"Demarcation" is a poor choice for a password.

Germans can handle all sorts of difficult fighting, but they get a bit weirded out watching their officers take a leak.

Dirt, combined with natural body oils, renders you waterproof. And stinky.

All that you are now, and all that you may become, is entirely dependent on this present company.

The Eastern Front is more enjoyable than a naughty German nurse.

And finally…

Need to know where the Iron Crosses grow? Ask Steiner.

Hi Joshik

Originally posted by Joshik:

Things I’ve learned from watching "Cross of Iron":

Need to know where the Iron Crosses grow? Ask Steiner.

Ah but I'm not telling smile.gif

COISteinerStransky.jpg

fetch.dll?action=view_photo&ID_Community=SgtSteinersWargamingSite&ID_Topic=2&ID_Message=24

Cheers

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

[This message has been edited by Sgt Steiner (edited 02-20-2001).]

LOL, great post Joshik. Its about time someone acknowledged this great movie as Iv'e been recommending it for eons on this board smile.gif

Here's another recommendation...the 1956 WWII movie "Attack!". I know, I know...a 1950s American WWII flick. However, this one is definately NOT like the others as it is an extremely grim study of psychosis and vengence. The masterful Jack Palance plays the victimized American soldier seeking to avenge the deaths of his buddies due to a psychotic and inept Col. played by Eddie Albert ( a surprisingly awesome performance by him). As a bonus it has a fairly chilling "Panzer rolling over the GI" scene. BTW, this is the only American WWII flick of the time in which the US Army would NOT participate in its making. Nothing was glossed over and "glorified" in this one.

[This message has been edited by WolfLord (edited 02-20-2001).]

Where can I get this movie? Can I rent it from blockbuster? Or do I have to buy it?

Thanks

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

Hehe, actually imdb.com points to amazon.com. wink.gif

I have ordered this goodie. IIRC, it is on dvd.

Griffin.

Originally posted by GillFish:

joeski:

Both Amazon.com and Internet Movie Database (imdb.com) carry this movie.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

More things I’ve learned from watching "Cross of Iron":

German regiments were often supported by a company of Kinderzingers, who would inspire the troops with their haunting melodies.

Always look both ways before crossing the street.

German soliders tend to get killed in slow motion.

The cure for concussion? A bottle of vodka and a good schtup!

After the war, Col. Brandt emigrated to the United States, changed his name, and developed a fondness for underage girls.

Shiny, new leather coats don’t stand a chance on the Eastern Front. Gnarly knit caps, however, last forever.

By the end of the campaign, Capt. Treblig had more ventilation than most T-34s.

You can always find the cutest girls in the hottub.

Photos of war atrocities are a good source of cheap entertainment.

The Russians can spot cheap footwear a mile away.

And finally…

The German policy of "don’t ask, don’t tell" didn’t work too well, either.

Originally posted by Midnight Warrior:

If you liked the movie you should really like the book. I thought the book was much better than the movie.

Quite. If you've read the book, you realise that, while visually well done (apart from the bloody annoying slow motion), the film is actually pretty mediocre.

"Crack of doom" aka "The Savage Mountain" is another Willi Heinrich novel I'd highly recommend.

[This message has been edited by Holdit (edited 02-22-2001).]

Wolflord,cheers I remember seeing that movie years ago and never knew what it was called!After many frustrating attempts at finding the name by asking friends if they had seen it,all with negative results.You are right,it is a very good movie,and well ahead of its time with its "war is hell"message.Cheers,Bob.