Commonwealth Sexton mod

Here are a few preview pics of a mod I have made for the Sexton 25lb (88mm) Sexton Self-propelled Gun.

There are four options: two early versions w/ the early, three piece bolted nose, and early VVSS suspension (Canadian & Polish), and two late versions with the cast nose & later VVSS suspension w/ trailing idler (British and South African).

Sexton%20collage.jpg

I have uploaded this to both Manx (COMBAT MISSIONS) and Madmatt (CMHQ). It should be out in a couple of days or so, if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Shane

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: Feldgrau ]

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: Feldgrau because he is a nimrod and couldn't get the stupid url right... :rolleyes: ]

Hiya all,

Just got back from my vacation.

I see Mr. Dorosh is being too groggy on his markings again. :D Oh well, only he would notice.

Anyway, I've got a copy of this beauty in my Email Attachments. I haven't had a chance to look at/install it yet. But this is definately the best Sexton mod we've had.

Thanks for the email, feldgrau, and the kind words about my sites.

I think you are safe, as I mentioned in my email, by using the 76 on blue/red - this seems to have been the unit sign for self propelled units of all armoured divisions, British or Canadian.

Whether or not they were armed with Sextons, I don't know. I think the SP guns in infantry divisions were Priests (105mm) and armoured divisions had the 25 pounders.

I am hoping Germanboy or someone else can cast some light on this; perhaps it is just late and the references I have in my lap are saying something else and I'm too dense to get it.

In any event, here is an example for the Fourth Canadian (Armoured) Division.

sextons.gif

You could substitute any British or Canadian Armoured Divisional marking for the Division sign, the Unit sign (76) would stay the same.

Thanks again for gracing the CM community with such a good looking mod. Hope to see more of your work soon.

This one deserve a BUMP.

I've noticed (since nobody saw it) that you improved on that Universal Carrier and that the roadwheels are now up to your quality standards...

Keep up the good work and congrats on an outstanding job!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Whether or not they were armed with Sextons, I don't know. I think the SP guns in infantry divisions were Priests (105mm) and armoured divisions had the 25 pounders.

I am hoping Germanboy or someone else can cast some light on this; perhaps it is just late and the references I have in my lap are saying something else and I'm too dense to get it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You called? :D

AFAIK only the armoured divisions would have SP guns. These were a mix of Priests and Sextons at the beginning of the campaign in Normandy (I have a picture of a UK Priest in action on 7th June, just inland from Sword).

From what I have read, the Priests were taken out of service (turned into Kangaroos I believe), because the Commonwealth armies thought the 25pdr to be a more effective gun than the 105mm gun. It would also reduce supply problems by being able to focus on one calibre of shell.

Blackburn in his book never mentions SP guns in his division (2nd Canuckian Infantry), and I have not seen any references to the flatfoots having SP guns.

That is not the gospel though, especially since it comes from me. Maybe Simon can confirm or call me a clueless git.

Funnily enough, production figures for towed and SP guns might give us a clue here (there I said it...) ;)

Edit: nice mod, BTW. I love the Polish eagle on the front. Why don't the Poles have squadron markings? Would Sextons have had squadron markings at all, them being in batteries of the RHA and the Yeomanry regiments, and not in squadrons? I don't know the answer, not being a uniform grog

tongue.gif

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Germanboy ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Would Sextons have had squadron markings at all, them being in batteries of the RHA and the Yeomanry regiments, and not in squadrons? I don't know the answer, not being a uniform grog

tongue.gif

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Germanboy ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the answers; I did post figures (not production figures, but actual issue figures) for Sextons to the Canadian Army but I am not going to search for them!

I wasn't going to mention the squadron markings....

They would have been divided into batteries; I am not sure if batteries used the squadron markings or not. Something tells me they might have, but perhaps Mister Fox will set us straight on this.

I've just called for reinforcements and the Sexton SP Guns are currently lumbering their way upto the frontline. ETA? Should be with us within the next half hour.

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Manx ]

If you look closely at his first picture you'll notice in the left it looks like a bren carrier. That looks like a nice mod. Where did you get that pup from?

I want it cuz I'm playing Bloody Buron and the bren carrier from far away look like black rectangles. I want green rectangles

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoopenfaust 101:

If you look closely at his first picture you'll notice in the left it looks like a bren carrier. That looks like a nice mod. Where did you get that pup from?

I want it cuz I'm playing Bloody Buron and the bren carrier from far away look like black rectangles. I want green rectangles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it looks good it is Marcel's mod. Might be able to get it at Der Kessel. Not sure, I got it from him directly. Because I am special...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoopenfaust 101:

Would you be a good chap and send that via e-mail to me, since I am far from being special.

Thank you

bhooper@bowmead.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry mate, no can do - am at work at the moment, and at home it is a pay-per-minute slow connection. The mod is huge. Best contact Marcel (Pawbroon) to get it.

Thanks Andreas but that specific MOD is Shane's actually.

:D

I had been testing it for some time and it's not widely known that he was doing one...

You'll have to get in touch with Feldgrau directly for an ETA on that one.

It looks just like mine in a completly different way (IE good).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt Canuck:

Will there be a batch file version...BTW it looks AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, WOW!!! I just downloaded it!

Many Thanks!

Dave<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, although I admit I am not as familiar with the batch file system as I should be, and it takes me a bit longer to get those files ready. However, I will do it, and it shall be handed over to Manx and Madmatt when completed for the batch file needy...

Thanks for all of the positive comments. I'm glad that it meets with approval (despite the hiccup with the incorrect markings...)

Regards,

Shane