Favourite German TD,

Ive been playing CM for a long time now,and im still having trouble deciding which is the german TD i favour most.

I know the hetzer is great buying,but im still not confident in this vehicle and tend to favour the sturmgeshute iv and jagdpanzer.

What does everyone else prefer and why?

------------------

"Some people don't see the light until they first feel the heat"

Hetzer, Hetzer, Hetzer!

It's mean, powerful and cheap.

I love its name, i love its look, i love driving my opponen crazy with ricochets... wink.gif

The only German TD that's more beautiful than the Hetzer is the Jagdpanther, the most elegant TD ever made.

------------------

Rührt euch!

CMPFCICM2 - Combat Mission Players for Campaigns in Combat Mission 2 - Join us! ;D

I've tried the jagdtiger,pretty awesome.But find it not versital enough.Abit slow and clumsy.Slow rate of fire and limited rounds and general ponderousness makes it useful in very few situations

------------------

Guest AbnAirCav

Hetzer, I've loved it ever since I built a model of it as a kid (Airfix?). Effective, cool looking, built in quantity, & a catchy name. smile.gif

JagdpanzerIV(70) is definately my fav. Nice and low to the ground to take advantage of every little dip in the terrain. It's so much fun to watch all the richocets off of that sloped armor as one by one the allied vehicles burn...

I once had a single JagdpanzerIV(70), with an elite crew, in a good hull down position take out 7 Shermans and 3 or 4 halftracks.

Actually I use mostly Hetzers. Cheap addition to my forces.

Still not my favourite though.

I've never had ANY luck with Jagdpanthers, takes about a millisecond of the first round

before it's gun damaged and immobilized. mad.gif

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 01-08-2001).]

The JPz IV/70 is good, and the gun will go through most allied armour.

But for the price of one JPz you get two Hetzer's, which in a hull-down postition will stop any allied advance. Only drawback is the small ammo load, and their thin roof armour, enemy mortors will kill it easy.

JagdPanther is the best, but again cost to much, allways get a gun damage or something.

And again you get 3 Hetzer's for one JPanther.

------------------

PanzerLeid

Mit donnernden Motoren,

So schnell wie der Blitz,

Dem Deinde entgegen,

Im Panzer geschützt.

Voraus den Kameraden

Im Kampfe ganz allein,

Steh'n wir allein,

So stossen wir tief

In die feindlichen Reihn.

von Schalburg

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

The Hetzer is my TD of choice. Low to the ground, almost like a racy sports car... except without the gun of course. smile.gif

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

If you are short on points, the Hetzer is cheap and efficient; the JgPzIV is tougher but costs more, but it can stand up to a Sherman Jumbo -in one recent firefight, a Jumbo and my JgPzIV each bounced three or four shots off each other's front armor from 50 m before a lucky shot from the Jumbo hit the Pz's gun.

henri

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by von Schalburg:

Only drawback is the small ammo load, and their thin roof armour, enemy mortors will kill it easy.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can a direct hit with a 60mm mortar kill it? It's 8mm thick up top but I don't know the penetration data of a 60mm mortar. The JP is 20mm thick up top. I'd say that's impervious to 60mm mortars, but again, I don't know.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Titan:

Ive been playing CM for a long time now, and hiding from Herr Oberst and the PBEM setup he Emailed me so long ago.

Lately I've been wearing Hanes control-top pantyhose for the support, and was wondering if there were any better brands around.

What does everyone else prefer and why?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you surface yet again, mon ami? What happened to our PBEM? Hmm?

wink.gif

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

As my name implies, my personal favorite is the Jagdpanzer IV, with a particular fondness for the Lang. Aesthetically, what does it for me are the dimensions. That low, wide shape, particularly from the front, has always appealed to me. In gameplay terms, I find that this vehicle provides outstanding value for what it was designed to do: kill tanks from an ambush position. Sure, the Hetzer is cheaper and is damn cute to boot, but you stick a Lang behind a stone wall with hillocks on each flank and viola, you have a tank-killer extraordinaire! That 80MM of well-sloped frontal armor, high velocity gun, and high ROF (compared to the Hetzer) are an unbeatable combination in my book. Long live Guderian's Duck!

[This message has been edited by jgdpzr (edited 01-08-2001).]

If you're playing open slather, then the Jagdpanther is great value if used from a reasonable ambush position. If you're playing the Panther 75/76 rule then a well handled Jagdpanzer can just about kill anything. If you're playing the short 75 rule then a Hetzer is exceptional value. To overcome the slow rate of fire, I've heard of players siting two Hetzers together in an ambush to increase the firs fire kill probability. The only thing you need to watch out for is incoming mortar fire (60mm mortars and up). probably a good time to shoot and scoot.

Well, except for the last round of our game Titan I would have said the Hertzer. Unfortunately they are very vulnerable to REG M24 charging about the field!

Damn you ... after I even requested that you throw in the towel you go and pop three tanks and my mobile FLAK in a single round!

Damn! Damn! Damn!

Please post your picture to Chup's thread so that I can have some "fun" with it.

cheers

Murray

HAhah Claymore, damn send me the file i have,t seen the movie yet.I was wondering how that would pan out hhahaahhaha smile.gifI was getting desparate.

Thats why i feel uncomfortable with the hetzer.In close and they are dead meat,even to a M8

------------------