Fog does not show up

Apologies, I know this was discussed but it did not show up in a search for "fog".

My daughter and I are playing a quick battle that is set in fog. The "fog" itself does not

show up as it does on the screen shots we saw on someones web site frown.gif

What is my system missing ?

Is it something that can be downloaded

somewhere?

I have the Intel 3D AGP graphics in system.

Thanks for any help give to a computer dummy

Abrams out

Hi Abrams,

It would help to know what video card you are using. If it's a TNT based card you might have something in the video setup called fog table emulation. You need to turn that on. You can find that, usually by right clicking on your desktop+properties+settings+advanced+Direct 3D-and there is a checkbox for it. Sometimes the video card controls have there own tab so you don't have to go into advanced. Just look around in there till you find it.

I'm not sure about other cards except to say if it's a banshee based card you probably can't get the fog. (biased opinion from an ex-banshee owner)

Good Luck

smile.gif

------------------

"It's a hardball world son. We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over."

I also do not see fog. I assumed that it was the same problem I was having seeing transparent buildings and smoke (a piece of **** video card)

btw, I have a laptop with the ATI mobile-P

WHY WON'T DELL SHIP THE MOBILE-128??? frown.gif:

-EridanMan

Abrams - your video card, probably an Intel i740 AGP or the i810, doesn't support fog tables (at least from the look of what you're seeing).

If you have an Intel 740 here is the latest driver (PV 4.0):

http://developer.intel.com/design/graphics/drivers/

This driver probably will not solve your problem and it may not work with your video card depending on the manufacturer (some card manufacturers modified some hardware/BIOS settings that the driver depends on). So if you do decide to try this newer driver, keep a copy of the CD/diskette to install your old drivers.

It is also possible that you have an Intel 810 (which is built into the chipset of the motherboard) - you may want to check with your system/motherboard documentation or your manufacturer's website to confirm this. This is the latest driver for that (PV 4.1):

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/software.htm

Again, keep an old copy of your current drivers in case something doesn't work.

sniperscope - As far as I'm aware, the fog does not move/drift. It is just a semi-fixed graphical representation (that affects LOS calcs). It may "move" around a bit when your scrolling across the screen, but this is a driver-perspective driven movement.

For those who do searches:

You now have to pick the forum to do the searches in. The main CM forum will get you a lot of answers on all kinds of things. If you have technical questions on the Gold Demo or Full version of CM you may need to search on the Tech Support forum. If you want to get everything in one search (including non-CM games) you can select Search All Forums.

Cyberfox - The TNTs should support fog tables to my knowledge (my TNT2 does). Here are the latest drivers. It is possible that an update may help (hopefully its not an issue like the ATIs where the newest drivers may not support CMs "fog table"):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/

Use either the Detonator Win9x 5.30 or the Asus TNT/GF Win9x 5.16d Beta 5 (which should keep & update any Asus control panels you have).

The lack of a "fog table" setting in your control panels doesn't mean you don't have support for them.

Thanks for the help guys.

I had already double checked the shift W

before writing ... the top of my screen says

that fog = full .

I have an Intel 810e Video driver , so

hopefully the upgrade from the site posted

earlier will put me in the "Fog"

Thanks Guys/Gals/People/Fellow CMers

Abrams out

Like Abrams I am not able to get the fog to display (Yes, I have checked to make sure the game is set to show full weather effects smile.gif. This problem is in addition to a missing sky which occurs at all view levels including the ground level viewpoint.(The sky is always a washed out white color, regardless of the scenario weather.)

As far as I can tell everything else in the game seems to work fine. I certainly get rain as well as transparent buildings and transparent smoke. The game also runs smoothly.

I have checked my drivers and they are the latest, although not very recent (March 1999), so I don't know if there is anything else I can do other than buy a new graphics card.

If anyone with more expertise in this area (which is probably just about everyone smile.gif has any suggestions or advice on how to remedy this problem they would be much appreciated.

My hardware specs are: a Gateway Pentium II 450Mhz w/ STB Velocity 4400 16MB video card.

Thanks,

kgsan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kgsan:

I have checked my drivers and they are the latest, although not very recent (March 1999), so I don't know if there is anything else I can do other than buy a new graphics card.

If anyone with more expertise in this area (which is probably just about everyone smile.gif has any suggestions or advice on how to remedy this problem they would be much appreciated.

My hardware specs are: a Gateway Pentium II 450Mhz w/ STB Velocity 4400 16MB video card.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, I'm running an STB Velocity 4400 16 MB card as well, and I've got fog as well as sky and all the other graphics goodies. You might try loading the Nvidia reference driver instead of STB's. I used to have intermittant lockups when the game was initializing at the point when the DirectX 7 driver problems seem to cause problems. My lockups went away when I switched to the Nvidia reference drivers instead of STB's "customized" versions. It's worth a try, especially before you plunk down money for a new graphics card!

Schrullenhaft,

I am planning on getting a new video card just to play CM and was considering a Nvidia RIVA TNT2 Ultra based chipset card (Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor 32). I have read several of your posts related to the fog issue and you seem quite knowledgable on this subject. I infer that you have a TNT2 based card that is displaying fog properly in Combat Mission, correct? If so, are all the other effects working also such as transparent buildings, rain, smoke, etc. Just wanted to know before I buy a new card. I appreciate your help on this.

Barbarossa,

I'm using a TNTII based card from Guillemot and I can see all the effects in CM with no problem.

------------------

"It's a hardball world son. We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iconoclast:

Hmm, I'm running an STB Velocity 4400 16 MB card as well, and I've got fog as well as sky and all the other graphics goodies. You might try loading the Nvidia reference driver instead of STB's. I used to have intermittant lockups when the game was initializing at the point when the DirectX 7 driver problems seem to cause problems. My lockups went away when I switched to the Nvidia reference drivers instead of STB's "customized" versions. It's worth a try, especially before you plunk down money for a new graphics card!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Iconoclast,

I took your advice and the Nvidia drivers did the trick. Now that I've got my sky and fog working I can finally get the full CM immersion experience. Many thanks for your help.

kgsan

Barbarossa - well, it looks like several people beat me to the answer. I use a Creative TNT2 Ultra and it also seems to show everything fine.

Guillemot seems to keep up with their drivers, so rarely would you need to consider using the reference drivers from NVidia (which will have different looking control panels if you use them).

The one thing I'm curious about is if fog looks different on different video cards/drivers.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kgsan:

Iconoclast,

I took your advice and the Nvidia drivers did the trick. Now that I've got my sky and fog working I can finally get the full CM immersion experience. Many thanks for your help.

kgsan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to help out a fellow CM'er, kgsan. I had no end of trouble getting the gold demo stable--a combination of an overclocked Celeron and the STB drivers.

The original TNT cards like the STB may be a bit long in the tooth now, but they still back enough memory and pixel-pushing power to do justice to CM even on a large monitor.

Well, for the record, I have a Viper 2 (hunkojunk) and can't see the fog either. I get all of the other effects with no problems. I have tried everything I can think of (DX7a, latest driver, S3 Tweak, D3D Settings, Shift W, etc)

Question: Is there another way fog can be emulated in the program by the coding itself?

Thanks,

TeAcH

[This message has been edited by TeAcH (edited 07-05-2000).]