Rumors of CC V

WWIIRulz

Please don't post such unimportant news !

Tell me what your cat ate for lunch, what your grandmas favorite TV-show is, what your girlfriends/wifes favorite color is but not ANYTHING about CC 4/5/6/7/8...... that is static noise in your favorite song. smile.gif

Now, now.. Let's not get into CC-bashing. It only starts flamewars wink.gif.

I think what others are trying to say is that they don't feel CC is as realistic or detailed a wargame as Combat Mission.

I think they would agree that, when not held to the realism standards of a hard-core wargame, Close Combat is a fun game.

Again, it all depends what you want out of it. A fun RTS with somewhat accurate units... Great, CC is for you... Do you want a rigidly accurate (as far as is possible given the fact that records are incomplete etc) hard-core wargame? .. Great, CM is for you.

Different strokes for different folks.

I think the CC series could be much better if they would just get the kinks/bugs out before going on to the next game in the series.

Personally, I like the series. It can be fun. However, things like AI pathfinding, infantry being far too easy to spot and kill along with line of site problems really detract from the game. I they would just get it right before releasing it.......gee where have I heard that before wink.gif

Allan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

I think what others are trying to say is that they don't feel CC is as realistic or detailed a wargame as Combat Mission.

I think they would agree that, when not held to the realism standards of a hard-core wargame, Close Combat is a fun game.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fionn have you played CC4 ?

Realistic ? I lost that hope in CC3 but with realred it was fun (when it wasn't annoying). You can tweak CC4 for years but you will never make a fun game! Look at the grafiks, since when is a Jagdtiger the same size as a Jadgpanther ? The Strategic Layer is a joke! My cat(he is dead) would have made it better! They made it too make money and .............I hate Atomic !

Guest Captain Foobar

I have to confess, I am currently playing a campaign in CC-4, someone gave it to me for Christmas, and it has helped me pass the time until release a great deal!

I liked Command & Conquer, and I think of Close Combat as just a WW2 version of the game.

(although I have been having a hell of a time finding any Tiberium in Bastogne.... At least I built some Obelisks of Light to provide fire support for my Kampfgruppe)

Guest Captain Foobar

Ummmm.....

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

I just lost a scenario in CC4, as Germans, because at the time the Americans morale was low enough to make them retreat/disband/end scenario, they had men on more victory locations than I did.

I guess that the strategy is to charge out, grab all the victory locations, and surrender as fast as you can!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Foobar:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is something to make you cry....I applied the latest patch (4.02) to CC4 in hopes of playing a campaign game. In the first battle two things happened that make me want to remove the game from my HD. First, that *&%$* rocket halftrack shows up and with its laser guided, never miss indirect fire and wipes out about 3 tanks with 3 shots. If that wasn't enough, during the same battle I have a hidden AT gun set up perfectly to ambush a panther. The panther moves down the road and presents a broadside shot to my AT gun at about 50m. My AT gun says it's "rotating" then "seeking cover" then "rotating" again. I am shouting "fire the dang gun you morons!" All the while the panther stops, rotates its turret, aims and blows my AT gun to hell. Man that is frustrating! Especially when it happens more than once in a battle. It serves the gun crew right. If it takes them more than 30 seconds to aim and fire they deserve to die and have their little electron souls banished forever to my daughter's Teletubbie game. Not that I am bitter or anything mad.gif

Allan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Now, now.. Let's not get into CC-bashing. It only starts flamewars wink.gif.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't mean anything negative towards CC. I played CC 1 & 2 a bunch.

However, when CM is released, I don't see CC staying on my harddrive. wink.gif

And then there will be CM 2 and then CM 3 and then...

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

the cc series is/was fun, the pg series is still fun, but the cm series?. Gotta show me more than a very good beta to convince me that this game has both extended playability and realism on a scale set between the before mentioned series.

thanks

werfer

I bought CC2 due to its and CC1s good reviews and had a heck of a lot of un playing with it, adding maps, scenarios, etc. Besides it had Airborne Poles wink.gif.

Yeah, I did hear some bad stuff about CC3 and 4 and that's why I haven't bought them. To each his own, though.

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

How many guy's here slagging Close Combat have actually tried playing CC2 on the zone? I doubt many!

Yes, it's true the CC series has many faults, is not very realistic, and the (solo)campaigns generally suck. However, for sheer entertainment value CC2 on the zone can't be beat (no comment on CC3 or CC4). Many of the battles here take on an almost chess-like strategy. And definitely not as un-realistic as Panzer General or Command and Conquer (c'mon Cap'n Foobar - please! confused.gif ).

I admit that after the CC3 came out, it turned me off CC for well over a year, but I have returned to CC2 on the zone recently, and it's still one helluva hoot!

Besides, there's more than 3 scenario's wink.gif

Hundminen

[This message has been edited by Hundminen (edited 02-21-2000).]

Guest Captain Foobar

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>?. Gotta show me more than a very good beta to convince me that this game has both extended playability and realism on a scale set between the before mentioned series.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everything that I have seen here at Battlefront, and at combathq.thegamers.net

leads me to believe that your concerns

will be met. There will be a gold demo,

we all await patiently.

Extended Playablity?

DYO scenarios, and extensive editors have been promised, and previewed.

Realism on the scale of the Close Combat series?

It should knock our socks off!

All I meant with the CC = C&C analogy was that I play them both for enjoyment, not realism. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Captain Foobar (edited 02-21-2000).]

I think one thing that needs to be elucidated here is that many make a GREAT distinction between CC 1 and 2 and CC3 and 4.

I enjoyed both CC1 and CC2. I heard Steve say he liked CC2 a coupe of times on the forum etc... I think a lot of people who played both CC 1 and CC 2 didn't like CC3 and CC4 for much the same reason I didn't like them.

DanE,

I know how u feel wink.gif.

Bring on SUdden STrike! biggrin.gif I'd rather play Sudden Strike than CC5 - Sudden STrike looks like bags of funs :P

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there! :P

hey guys you are speaking of two completely different games! biggrin.gif

I agree that CC3 and CC4 are a bit(err...lot?) sucking, but if you want an adhrenaline game, play an opponent at CC2 on the zone and you will see! wink.gif

If wou want a more realistic, but slow-pace game play CM.

I enjoy both CC2 and CM, and I dislike religious wars! tongue.gif

I have bought Close Combat IV and I do NOT regret it!

I will buy Combat Mission and I know I will NOT regret it!

Since there are Demos you can play I do not know why people are buying games they do not like any more. I did not like the CC4 demo at all, but then the battlegroup mods came up for the demo and I had some of the best Close Combat battles of my life (including CC2). If you accept the limitations of the game system it is a very beautiful and intense game.

I think that CC and CM are complementary. I do not want to miss either of them.

Regards, Thomm

------------------

Some stuff at http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/simpson/870/

I've bought all the CC games just because I'm afraid I'll miss out on something if I didn't but I must say I really feel cheated on the last game. The two major gripes I got is the über Wurfs, they're the secret weapons of the third reich you never heard about on Discovery. The second is the totally stupid voice cues for the Germans. It's pretty obvious that the game is made for children (age 3-8) because if you have to make the Germans sound like bad guys to know who they were... CC4 is deffinately their (atomic) worst CC. Tank fests where all the gunners and drivers are either drunk or high.

With all that said I'll probably buy CC5 when it arrives (some people just don't learn) hoping that I'll get my CC2 back. Hundminen doesn't remember me but I remember seeing someone called that on the Zone years ago (and some of the other nicks circulating here).

Dear HowardB!

Download the CC IV patches, set difficulty to veteran or higher for the German player and voila: Wurfrahmen gone forever from your game! I think you can also make your own battles with infantry battlegroups only (I am not sure, though). Also play the city maps where every destroyed vehicle will block the paths of all others, so you have to protect your armour very well. Rushing vehicles forward without infantry cover almost always results in its destruction. That ain't that bad, is it?

Regards, Thomm

Just read an article in the press, Atomic are rewriting the AI from scratch as well as introducing totally new animations etc. Who knows, gang, it may just be worth a look? smile.gif

Personally, I take the view as expressed above that a lot of FUN can be had in CC if you take it with its limitations. End of lesson. wink.gif