TCP/IP Headcount please read

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TCP/IP is THE most important addition to the game for me. Peng spent last night at my home a we got to play our 1st hotseat game. It took about 4 hours and I figure that will be cut almost in half with the TCP/IP game and I won't have to have the bastard Peng in my house drinking all my beer....at least he brought bourbon with him so it wasn't a total waste.

I do have an isssue with BTS about TCP/IP but I think I should start a different thread for that.

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

Now that my CM skills are similar to cat like reflexes... smile.gif ha....I am patiently waiting for the TCP/IP play. Never been a big fan of PBEM only because of time constraints and blah blah blah....

GI Tom

------------------

To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of wierd sandwich.

I plan on enjoying weekend TCP/IP, though it wouldn't fit my regular schedule well.

Questions: how do these things handle a mutual break? Like, you get in 20 turns of a 40 game scenario, and both sides have to break to restore their non-CM lives. Can you pause the whole thing for resumption later?

Can you continue the marathon by PBEM, say during the week, once started in TCP/IP?

I like the timer idea, but I still think it's going to be tough to finish much of a game in a day.

What happens if the thing times out while you're still in the middle of plotting a turn? Does it just send itself from that point?

And could the game automatically suggest unique file names, and offer a choice of folders into which they're saved (so you can keep different "turn 4s" separate)? Could it track separate opponents/battles a little?

Huh?

(And we wonder why it wasn't done in a couple weeks!)

I played the demo yesterday and bought the game online an hour later. I am sold. What a great game! I have two buddies who will buy it if I can play with them via TCP/IP (I am trying to get them to buy it anyway...they probably will, but we will use the TCP/IP like CRAZY). We only have an hour or two to play at one time, so CLOSE COMBAT has been great. I love COMBAT MISSION, but it would be so much greater with TCP/IP play. There is a huge segment of CLOSE COMBATers who are going to only buy it if it has this. These are the new guys, naturally, not old game players like me who remember EMPIRE's PBM...yes, play by mail, that is snail mail. Gee--I am only 33 but I feel so old now.

------------------

Karl Kindt

Ecclesiastes 5:19

www.karlkindt.com

Yes

I think that now that all the little things that could be tweaked in the v1.03 patch have been fixed there should be a new effort to go full steam ahead with the TCP/IP patch, I would say it should be the next priority.

I CAN'T wait for TCP/IP but I'm VERY VERY happy with all the little tweaks in the v1.03 patch that will make the game even better than it was.

Count me in to TCP/IP as soon as it is available for download.

My guess is that we still looking like mid to late Sept. for that one as it appears require a SUBSTANTIAL coding effort on Charles' part.

Good Luck Charles.

Hopefully there will be some vacation time in there some where too!

We all know you truly deserve it.

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TCP/IP is very much wanted.

A way to limit turns to a pre-agreed limit is essential. I loved the idea that one could set the clock to start only after one of the opponents had finished his/her turn. Great idea!

A chat window for taunting would be nice too (Although Roger Wilco would even better if you truely want to hear my screams of frustration!). 8D

Gus out

Like my fellow Canadian Babra, I will not be using the TCP/IP.

I just can't foresee having the kind of time available to play out a match. PBEM is a godsend, as it allows me to participate in human versus human matches at my convenience.

GAFF

Oh, I'm an idiot... Just read the topic starter again and it asked us to post only if interested. My bad. Send a schrek my way.

BAD GAFF

[This message has been edited by gaffertape (edited 07-27-2000).]