PBEMing from 1.05 to 1.1b

OK, PBEMers...how are you handling your current PBEMs that are in 1.05? Are you updating them all? Finishing in 1.05? Contacting each opponent for their version?

I have somewhere in the area of 25 games going, and I can't figure a good way to handle this...I'm curious what the rest of you are doing.

------------------

"THAT DUCK SHALL NOT HAVE DIED IN VAIN!"

- Senachai

25 games going???

25... GAMES... GOING?????

Good Lord Man!!!!

Anyhoo, I simply wrote to each of my PBeM opponents (all TWO of them) and asked if they were d/loading or not, with the offer to convert our current files if they were. They both enthusiastically replied "YES!"

I'm sure your opponents will all convert... and it will make everything simpler that way. Besides, you get to take advantage of all the little tweaks and fixes if you convert the games now.

EDITED for Mr. Clarks Crap-tastic spelling.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 11-30-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Croda:

OK, PBEMers...how are you handling your current PBEMs that are in 1.05? Are you updating them all? Finishing in 1.05? Contacting each opponent for their version?

I have somewhere in the area of 25 games going, and I can't figure a good way to handle this...I'm curious what the rest of you are doing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is what I'm planning on doing. I'll take the initiative and load them in the beta version and just let them know via email. Except for this exceptionally nasty fellow in Pennsylvania. I will be sure to cast aspersions on his questionable lineage and his lack of personal hygiene habits.

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

I was asking each one if they are planning to upgrade. One sent me an upgraded file, one wants to upgrade, and one does not. So looks like my pbeming is gonna slow down until I finish them off.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

Here is what I'm planning on doing. I'll take the initiative and load them in the beta version and just let them know via email. Except for this exceptionally nasty fellow in Pennsylvania. I will be sure to cast aspersions on his questionable lineage and his lack of personal hygiene habits.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's become blatantly obvious that you do just as little work as I do. Do not fret, since yours is one of the 5 I'll most likely win, I wouldn't dream of stiffing you on a turn. You shall get it. I hope to get on late and bust through all of my turns. I've gotten resends of resends saying: "Not sure you got this. Haven't heard from you. Did you go to Antarctica or something?" and the like. But considering the amount of carnage that little text file contains...you may not want to open it.

------------------

"THAT DUCK SHALL NOT HAVE DIED IN VAIN!"

- Senachai

Yup...and I'll be lucky to win 5 of them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Croda...Croda...Croda...*sigh*

How about we play a TCP/IP game this weekend and I will help you get better? Hmmm?

I am sure after my game with Hiram he won't make the same mistakes twice especially when I pointed them out to him during AND after the game.

Want to upgrade OUR current PBEM to 1.1? wink.gif

Jeff

Yup...and I'll be lucky to win 5 of them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahh good to see that you know you are going to loose against me ... AGAIN.

*slap happy idiot smile on me face*

-------------

Der Kessel Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Am I missing something here? I downloaded and installed the patch and I have 5-6 PBEM games going in 1.05. I'm still playing them in 1.05. What's the problem? Since there are 2 executables in your directory, why can't you play some with 1.05 and some with 1.1 (other than it's difficult to keep straight which is which)?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, can someone point me to the direction of the patch? I went to the d/l section, and it's not there. frown.gif

Everyone keeps talking about it, so it is out, right? I kept hearing Tuesday, but never saw it. frown.gif

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

Okay, can someone point me to the direction of the patch? I went to the d/l section, and it's not there. frown.gif

Everyone keeps talking about it, so it is out, right? I kept hearing Tuesday, but never saw it. frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/013074.html

try that thread

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Mensch, Randy, Jeff - Update them!

All you need to do is open the game on 1.05. While in the game, hit Alt-S to save it, then quit out. The saved game now shows in your list with the scenarios as a saved game (duh). You then open up 1.1b and open the game you just saved. It is now updated. Only one person has to do this, because once the file is updated, it is ready to rock. I'll do it since I have everyone's files.

And Juardis, that is one of the problems. First is keeping them straight. Second is that you finish the game without the new fixes. Big deal? Not at all, just a preference of mine.

And Jeff, maybe sometime on Sunday, I'll be in Baltimore all day Saturday.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks: You rock, Croda<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mensch, Randy, Jeff - Update them!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well my friend who roams and fondles the farm animals.. you have the next pbem round you must send to me... so YOU update it... jeeez you been getting in farmer Teds hidden Weed patch again??

-------------

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Well, Mister "Lost-In-Germany," keep reading my post and you'll get to this line:

I'll do it since I have everyone's files.

Thanks for being attentive. wink.gif

I'll update it tonight or tomorrow.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks: You rock, Croda<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For those who have not converted turns, it's easy.

Use "save game" in 1.05, open turn in 1.1. Done.

By the numbers:

1) You can "save" a game only in the orders phase. I've found it easiest to save the game at the beginning of the orders phase.

2) Open the saved game in CM 1.1, click the e-mail option, give it a p-word.

3) Issue your orders.

4) Send the turn to your opponent.

------------------

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

I only have 2 PBeM's going... and I STILL don't want to keep straight which one is 1.05 and which isn't. smile.gif

Luckily, they both converted. (WHY, wouldn't you want to convert to 1.1?????)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes, there are issues.

In the switch from 1.04 to 1.05, BTS warned that the FOs for offboard arty would lose 50 percent to 75 percent (or some such figure) of their shells.

Also, because of the CM naming convention, it sometimes required players to create a duplicate folder (as in the 1.04/1.05 upgrade) and not everyone has and extra 300 megs of disk space to dedicate to CM.

------------------

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moriarty:

...and not everyone has and extra 300 megs of disk space to dedicate to CM.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of us have dedicated a hard drive to our beloved CM. Some of us living in Jerseyland that is.

------------------

I tried converting 2 pbem-games from 1.05 to 1.1b - to no avail!

Both are preset scenarios (All or Nothing and Drive to Mortain). Is the conversion only possible with QBs, and not preset scenarios?

One of them was definately in the order phase, the other one in "movie-only"-phase.

The computer just keeps replying with an annoying "blonk" when I hit Alt-S. Am I doing something wrong?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Some of us have dedicated a hard drive to our beloved CM. Some of us living in Jerseyland that is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That must have been the moron who hadn't realised that no matter how the CM Exe was named, it was still usable.

You would then launch the one that was required at the time.

Thinking that you had a 300Mb duplicate folder instead of just 1 CombatMission104.exe and 1 CombatMission105.exe is something I'll have to remind you from here to eternity...

------------------

IP# 193.253.181.227

[This message has been edited by PawBroon (edited 11-30-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PawBroon:

That must have been the moron who hadn't realised that no matter how the CM Exe was named, it was still usable.

You would then launch the one that was required at the time.

Thinking that you had a 300Mb duplicate folder instead of just 1 CombatMission104.exe and 1 CombatMission105.exe is something I'll have to remind you from here to eternity...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, wrong moron, Pushbroom. wasn't me

------------------