What is happening to the board?

Guest Pillar

Over the past month or two, I've noticed a trend away from intellectual discussion and towards what I would label as "chatting". That is, people are no longer making well thought out in-depth posts (the kind you don't forget).

Even my recent attempt to start a very in depth discussion on real-world military doctrine had only 4 people really participating.

Has the discussion picked up and moved to another forum? If so, could someone direct me there?

How long can this hamsters thing stay funny? wink.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I noticed same thing, issues change so rapidly no-one has time to answer them and they get lost somewhere. And lots of people are just chatting or having light conversations about something. There should be some kind of classification of these topics before they are totally messy, and then less and less people like to participate that kind of discussion.

Pillar-

Personally I do a lot of lurking and skimming now. For me, since the game came out there has been too much second-guessing of the design and details and a little too much whining. I like the game just fine as it was awhile ago. But I'm an ornery old cuss so maybe it's just the school year or something else.

The price of popularity, I would guess.

-dale

Aye Chup, this is after all a CM web-board and it would be a bit overexpectant of me to want more than strictly game issues discussed smile.gif

What are the usenet groups you recommend?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Ebb and flow. The game's been out for a while, major design issues have pretty much been talked to death, consensus has pretty much been reached. If you want discussion, there's always usenet.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"And from the mouth of Great men came wise words"

Chuppa, who'd have thought.... smile.gif

------------------

Originally posted by PawBroon:

Shut up you overweight bitch!

[This message has been edited by YK2 (edited 11-22-2000).]

On a related note, why so few posts in the Tips & Techniques forum? (I notice a lot of relevant posts end up in this one, and then devolve into flame wars frown.gif) I'm relatively new to this sort of game and find learning different techniques and subtleties an absolute blast, no pun intended. I've done a lot of reading through old posts in that forum and do most of my own posting there--there used to be some really interesting and useful discussions there, it seems, and I hope there will be more.

With a game this rich, I really doubt that everything that needs to be said about tactics has been said smile.gif

------------------

Hope you got your things together,

Hope you are quite prepared to die. --CCR

Guest *Captain Foobar*

OK, Pillar.

Start a new thread about something intellectual. I promise to particpate in it fully, without any references to rodents in military uniforms.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

Over the past month or two, I've noticed a trend away from intellectual discussion and towards what I would label as "chatting". That is, people are no longer making well thought out in-depth posts (the kind you don't forget).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I bet any amount of money that some of it is due to good people are just tired of getting blasted and ridiculed by, what really amounts to, a bunch of anonymous jerks, typing behind the protection of their keyboard. So, why bother? Granted, I've already run into a great bunch of people here, always willing to help, but there are some, if your don't walk to their beat, gang up on you. It's not conducive to deep discussion. My $0.02 anyway, since you asked.

Have a Happy Thanknsgiving Holiday everyone!

smile.gif

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Hey Pillar do what I do. It's old conversation, but I search on a topic I wish to discuss and read that. Then I reply to myself. Also alot of times when I read current disscussion I don't reply. No real good reason as to why, but think of all the lurker's reading the posts.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

Even my recent attempt to start a very in depth discussion on real-world military doctrine had only 4 people really participating.

Has the discussion picked up and moved to another forum? If so, could someone direct me there?

How long can this hamsters thing stay funny? wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that hamsters are not funny. I can only speak for myself here when I say that I hardly ever have anything productive to add to a discussion as is evidenced once again with this post.

Pillar, I've learned much from your posts and sincerely hope that you aren't too discouraged with the rest of us.

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>... and towards what I would label as "chatting".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FWIW, I don't think that is unusual, given the friendly (sometimes smile.gif ) community that seems to exist here. What is unusual is that there isn't a CM forum here where the "hamster discussions" can go. Other diehard communities that I know of (such as "Aces High", "Warbirds", etc.) have active forums for "off-topic and less serious discussions", such as The O' Club & The Wingless Cafe where the members can go to chat and create long never-ending threads.

Perhaps it is time for some sort of "Canteen" forum over here?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YK2:

"And from the mouth of Great men came wise words"

Chuppa, who'd have thought.... smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, there is also the theory that if you put enough monkeys in front of keyboards long enough, one of them will eventually type out some Shakespeare... wink.gif

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Of course, there is also the theory that if you put enough monkeys in front of keyboards long enough, one of them will eventually type out some Shakespeare...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fortunately, they refrain from posting their earlier drafts, a practice we'd all do well to follow.

Oops... I think that's an example of what this thread's about.

OK... Pillar, I think you did start some interesting topics. But the doctrine business followed closely on the heels of another interesting discussion gone sour, and the general subject of "doctrine" was a bit vague anyway.

The truth is that only controversy garners much interest. If you post something which is clearly true and everybody agrees... end of thread.

If you post something controversial and people disagree, you get a lot of discussion, but some of it is flamey. Personally I don't mind. That's what the scrolly thing is for.

There are also folks who are much better-qualified to lay down the law on philosophical and technical issues, who find discussing such matters with amateurs distasteful. It's fun to lurk in their controversies, as you can learn a great deal without taking any heat.

Most of the CM related topics were done to death in the first 100,000 posts or so, but a more specific topic can still gather a crowd, if it is both interesting and controversial. It's just harder to come up with those. Appreciate your efforts all the same.

On Usenet, try:

comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical

alt.games.combat-mission.

There's also these: smile.gif

alt.animals.hamster

alt.flame.hamsters

alt.hamster.test

alt.music.hamsters

alt.pets.barbecue.hamsters

alt.pets.hamsters

japan.pets.hamster

Pillar -

2 reasons

1) A great many topics here have been discussed to death, with absolutely no resolution, and my honest opinion is that if you were to ask a WWII vet their opinion on "Insert your topic here," they wouldn't give a rat's ass.

2) After the debacle that your 'debate' with ScoutPL turned into (just as much your fault as his) who would really have any interest into delving into a discussion like that with you?

Sorry if those points hit home a bit hard. Facts are facts.

------------------

"THAT DUCK SHALL NOT HAVE DIED IN VAIN!"

- Senachai

Pillar,

Not personal attack but there are a number of game-related issues like pillboxes and cas in ops are being issued. Some topics like "CM in PTO" and "Add TO&E chart to CM" are kinda dead horse.

I hope it is just silence before TCP/IP.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

The specific CM questions that can be answered usually are answered within 5 or 10 posts.

The opinion threads can go on forever, but they always go off-topic quickly. I remember one guy who kept trying to bring the thread back to his original question. He failed because the dynamic of these posts is like passing a secret around a big circle.

But I find a lot to like and learn here. And having good chatting among the CM community is just as important as the technical stuff to me. And can be very entertaining if you bypass the flame stuff.

In my experience, people like one-stop shopping, so it is difficult to corral tips and technical things to separate forums.

------------------

Only the Lawyer knows what Evil lurks in the minds of men....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Over the past month or two, I've noticed a trend away from intellectual discussion and towards what I would label as "chatting". That is, people are no longer making well thought out in-depth posts (the kind you don't forget).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, anyway, so what happened to the Rams?! They fell down so hard Monday night. It was shameful. Not as bad as the whupping the Giants took, though. At least the J-E-T-S put a hurt on Miami.

Cowboys or Vikings?

DjB