Bag Pipes?!

Yes, there is no sound file for Bag Pipes

I can hear them right now out my back door

Some old Fart (I suppose) is practicing

out back (I live outside Toronto Ont.)

Anyway the British units should have some

Bag Pipe Entry sound or music or Something

I say the sound Track needs Scotish BagPipes

and a good Feast of Hagis while we are at it!

-tom w

(Just to add some "colour" to the Board today for Fun)

I suggest you search the net for some wav's of bagpipes. I would then use one to overwrite one of the British sounds (for example the "get moving" sound) which come up alot. That should work, although I would back up the old sound in case it drives you crazier.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Posted by aka_tom_w:

Anyway the British units should have some

Bag Pipe Entry sound or music or Something<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent suggestion... The skirling pipes lead on to victory!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Posted by Rob/1:

is that a smart ider I mean what if there Germans heard them<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then they'd soil their feld-grau trousers! biggrin.gif Just imagine - you're facing troops whose ancestors fought in "skirts" with nothing underneath. What could be more terrifying? (Yes, I'm of Scottish ancestry... wink.gif)

[This message has been edited by WendellM (edited 07-30-2000).]

Forget horns and things (refer to Saving Private Ryan) - the pipes and drums are the definitive military instruments. Hearing a recording doesn't work, though - you've got to be there. It is extremely rousing - no wonder Scots are renowned warriors (I would say "we", but I haven't personally fought any wars). =)

David

Personally, I usually have a bagpipes CD running while I play CM, regardless of where my troops came from. The instrument is classified as a weapon and the music was especially written to inspire your troops and terrify the enemy. And my guys usually need all the help they can get wink.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

I believe it was customary (although I don't know how common in WWII) for a piper to march in front of advancing troops. I heard somewhere someone asking if this was an advisable exercise for the piper, but apparently the enemy usually had the grace not to shoot him. =) I imagine they would assume he was a harmless lunatic. =) This tactic wouldn't get you very far on the contemporary battlefield, however.

David

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

I heard somewhere someone asking if this was an advisable exercise for the piper, but apparently the enemy usually had the grace not to shoot him. =) I imagine they would assume he was a harmless lunatic. =) This tactic wouldn't get you very far on the contemporary battlefield, however.

David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bad luck to shoot a piper...you have to spend eternity in the Chicago O'Hare airport.

I too, listen extensively to pipes (and other Scottish and Irish, even Breton, music) while playing CM.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Guest Michael emrys

I know that whenever I hear bagpipes I want to pick up my Claymore and hack someone to death. And I'm really a peaceable guy. smile.gif

Michael

I also want bagpipes when playing with Scottish forces.

One option/idea I came up with was to include an ambient sound in the scenario editor. One could add various music/sounds depending on front. The Russian equivalent would be lots of harmonicas and balalaikas smile.gif. The Germans could use some umpha music from Bavaria.

Marcus

OHMYGOD! That'd be great!

I only remember Brits using pipes in the Western Desert? Can someone confirm that?

Would they be a support unit? ;)

(Don't forget to put them on hide when appropriate.)

------------------

Will

---

"The truly great thing is not to lose your nerve." --Unknown.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TURBO:

If they were green or conscript it might scare the hell out of them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the original purpose of the bagpipes, I think. Now people think it's music.

biggrin.gif

In one ASL (General) magazine there was a bagpipe player.

I can handle the ambient music myself. But I must admit I was rather disappointed not to find piper team units in the Brit OOB when I opened the editor. I was just SURE BTS would have put them in as an Easter Egg smile.gif

I think it would be cool to have little piper dudes out there. Maybe give them a morale bonus to surrounding units like some times of leaders do smile.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

Bullethead wrote:

> I think it would be cool to have little piper dudes out there. Maybe give them a morale bonus to surrounding units like some times of leaders do

And if anyone shoots him, he doubles in size and starts playing louder. Once he gets to 10x his original size he starts raining giant haggis and neeps onto the enemy. Then they are beset by the Curse of Scotland, and suddenly a massive hailstorm materialises over their heads, regardless of the time of year. This continues until their skin is cold and white and they are drenched to the bone, and thoroughly miserable they will lose any cohesion as a fighting force, and sit around moaning about the last time the sun actually shone.

David

The Americans all need Kelly's Heroes tanks with the speaker playing Burning Bridges while they advance on Tigers and Panthers. The Germans would get so tired of the song they'd end up shooting themselves. Also some paint rounds would be cool smile.gif

I dunno if it was common or not.. but i did see some D-Day movie (late 60s or early 70s) with a scottish battalion comin off the beachheads w/ their bagpipes... it amazed me actually... an old fighting tradition like that still was going on after centuries of combat...

Zaff'

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kverdon:

Am I remebering right or not, but did not the Ox and Bucks at Pegasus Bridge hear the pipes of Lord Lovat's group coming to relieve them (or was that just in TLD?)

Kevin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect that if it was in the movie it was factual. It doesn't beat the scene in "Gunga Din" though when they here the pipes, though!

Anecdote from Farwell's "Mr. Kipling's Army": In the late 19th century a senior Russian naval officer was visiting a British mess. After the cloth was pulled, the pipers appeared. Apprehensive at first, after a while the Russian began to drum his fingers in time with the music. Finally he turned to his neighbor and observed, excitedly, "They're playing a tune!"

Anyone know if the 51st Division used pipers in battle in NW Europe?

------------------

Will

---

"The truly great thing is not to lose your nerve." --Unknown.

I have recorded the Pike's Peak Highlanders (see www.pphighlanders.com) and it's available as a CD. If you want an entire band of wav files of any selection, let me know - I should be able to oblige.

Gordon Spiers, the piper who piped in The Longest Day (not the guy in the film, he did the sound over) used to be the PM prior to his death in 1994. The tune played there escapes me for the accurate name but it's Bear....

You realize the Irish brought and taught the pipes to the Scottish. And they still don't get the joke.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You realize the Irish brought and taught the pipes to the Scottish. And they still don't get the joke.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And of course you realize that the wheelbarrow was the most important technological advance to reach the Irish, because it taught them to walk on 2 legs.

(And the brawl is on as Celt fights Celt while the damn Sassenachs, following Roman example, divide and conquer frown.gif )

------------------

-Bullethead

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 08-03-2000).]