Bag Pipes?!

It almost two years now since I asked for some Piper units in CM. Make him a support unit with rallying ability and make sure to include Mike Meyer's saying "We've got a piper doooown!" if one gets taken out.

As I recall the trade off was either Free French or Pipers. I think we got a bum deal.

I know the Germans knew the Scots during WWI as the "ladies from hell" and they were deathly scared of them. If you heard the bagpipes just before an attack, you knew you were in for a vicious fight. biggrin.gif

------------------

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...

-HAL 9000, 2001

Ok, I wasn't imaging it, I found a reference to the piper that lead Lord Lovat's Troops to the relief of Pegasus Bridge. I thought the folling quote would be of interest to the thread here. The following quote is from Piper Bill Millin, No1 Special Service Bge. as quoted in "Pegasus Bridge/Merville Battery" ISBN:0850526426

'I stopped piping immediately across the road from the cafe. There was a battle going on. There were huge columns of black smoke and even from where I was standing I could hear shrapnel and bullets or whatever hitting off the metal side of the bridge. Wounded were being carried up from the canal banks and then to the cafe. It was a real hot spot. Lovat went forward to speak with Major Howard and he said "John, today we are making history". Lovat came to me and said "Right, we'll cross over. Now, don't play until I tell you". So we walked over ducking because of the snipers. We almost go to the ohter side and he said, "Right play now and keep playing all the way along this road until you come to another bridge and keep playing right across - no matter what just keep playing."'

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sneaky:

Gordon Spiers, the piper who piped in The Longest Day (not the guy in the film, he did the sound over) used to be the PM prior to his death in 1994. The tune played there escapes me for the accurate name but it's Bear....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"The Black Bear"

------------------

Will

---

"The truly great thing is not to lose your nerve." --Unknown.

Will: Thanks for the tune name.

Bullethead: That really got me laughing...

How about:

A Canadian officer, pinned down with his unit in Italy in 1944, urgently signalled his CO - "Need reinforcements to rescue us. Please

send six tanks or one piper".

or

An old Scot, after living for many years in a far-away land, was dying. He called his doctor and asked for one last favour. The

doctor agreed and the old Scot said he wanted to hear the pipes played one more time before he died. A piper was duly summoned

and marched up and down the hallway playing mightily. In the morning, the old Scot was so invigorated he arose, dressed, and went

home. All of the other patients were dead.

RMC said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It almost two years now since I asked for some Piper units in CM.... As I recall the trade off was either Free French or Pipers. I think we got a bum deal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, a very bum deal frown.gif

So how about having Pipers in the maybe-to-be CM "vehicle pack" expansion, along with US flak tracks?

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

Sneaky said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Bullethead: That really got me laughing...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a first. Every other time I've said that, or been in a bar where that's been said, the result has been an immediate brawl. It always starts with some Irishman saying "we gave your ancestors whiskey, kilts, and bagpipes as going-away presents, but we forgot to mention the last 2 were jokes". Then some Scot says the wheelbarrow thing, and then it's all bloody knuckles.

Such behavior is, of course, genetically predisposed for Celts. They say, "where there are Irish there's bound to be fighting, and when there's no fighting, t'is Ireland no more," but that holds true for all the other Celts as well. They hate everybody, but they hate each other more than anybody else smile.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman