Small status update on TCP/IP

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

Hey,

Inspite of initial delays due to the first batch of patches and poorly documented APIs, things are going very well.

At the moment all the underlying technology needed is in there and working well. This means establishing connections, handling dropped players, etc. Preliminary real data swapping (i.e. a turn and not just test packets) is in and working. At the moment Charles is working on the interface for all of this stuff (instead of scripted code smile.gif) so we can actually play a full game connected over the Internet.

The obvious question is... when will it be done? We do not know. Probably several weeks before we feel comfortable letting it out to the public as a Beta patch.

Yes, you heard correctly. Instead of waiting for it to be rock solid perfect, we are going to release it to people if they want to give it a try. That way people can start playing TCP/IP games, most likely without regular problems, much sooner. Obviously we won't release something that is unstable, but rather something that might still have some sort of glitch here and there. Once the glitches are fixed, then we will release the "official" patch.

The Beta patch will be voluntary. People are more than welcome to wait for the final one. There will be no PBEM incompatibilities between the Beta patched versions and 1.05.

Thanks for hanging in there,

Steve

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Great news, can't wait!

------------------

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Dave wrote:

When the final patch for TCP/IP comes out, will you be turning your full attention to CM2, leaving CM1 basically as it is?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd also like to know if this is true.

Great idea. You're bound to find the minor glitches faster with 10,000 testers workin' on it. As long as we all file bug reports that is. I think we probably all will though. That's great news, me and my PBEM buddy can hardly wait.

DeanCo--

Thanks for the update

Its great to see that despite some of the other whinning and complaining (by myself and a few others) about some largely insiginificant niggley (possibly historical) details in the game, you folks are clearly focused on the "Next BIG thing"

TCP/IP, head to head battle over the internet.

You know we all just can't wait!

smile.gif

thanks for the update!.

-tom w

I personally hope that we see just ONE more gameplay patch... to tweak the last few things that have been discussed to death on this forum already.

Pleeeease...

Otherwise, thanks a bunch for the update! (Although my schedule also works much better around PBeM, so I have not been one of the anxious ones)