Why doesn't AI move friggin trucks? More..

Wanted to create a scenario which ambushes a convoy but the stinkin' convoy just sits there...armor starts moving out but the actual convoy does two things - jack and squat.

Also, anyone know how to start a scenario with an artillery bombardment already underway?

Any suggestions?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, anyone know how to start a scenario with an artillery bombardment already underway?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best you could do is have an FO target a TRP. You should get the rounds within the same turn.

------------------

...This is Romeo-Foxtrot, shall we dance?...

Originally posted by buddy:

Wanted to create a scenario which ambushes a convoy but the stinkin' convoy just sits there...armor starts moving out but the actual convoy does two things - jack and squat.

CM is not really setup to model this. Unless you drive the trucks into the ambush, the AI is not going to magically follow a road into enemy territory.

Also, anyone know how to start a scenario with an artillery bombardment already underway?

You can't. An observor needs to call it in.

I just tried to make a scenario as you described, ambush with trucks and you're right it doesn't friggin' work. The AI would not move any of the trucks and jeeps unless they had armaments.

I used the halftracks with MG's and jeep with mg they all moved in, but the trucks and jeeps without never moved in, never moved a friggin inch. This is dense as I made a scenario where they had to exit the other side of the map for points. THIS HAS TO BE A BUG!!!

Phoenix is perhaps right in saying that the AI will not magically drive into enemy territory. However, this is an ambush, they don't know you are there! The AI is cheating in this aspect knowing you are there before you show yourself.

Also, as for Ambushes, man it pisses me off when one of your guys gets up from hiding to shoot before the target hit the ambush marker. That is a real downer.

Johnno out

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johnno:

This is dense as I made a scenario where they had to exit the other side of the map for points. THIS HAS TO BE A BUG!!!

Phoenix is perhaps right in saying that the AI will not magically drive into enemy territory. However, this is an ambush, they don't know you are there! The AI is cheating in this aspect knowing you are there before you show yourself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kind of harsh words there, Johnno. wink.gif

Let me ask you a question: When you start a QB do you drive your unarmed vehicles down roads in front of your line that have not yet been secured by your fighting force? No? Why not?

When a battle takes place in CM, the enemy is assumed to be on the map. The AI seems to be rather "smart" when it comes to not wanting to move unarmed units into possible danger spots.

------------------

Dan

Have you guys tried this test with trucks that are empty, or loaded with troops?

Also Johnno,

The level of experience will determine how *patient* your troops are in an ambush. Conscripts will open up at extreme range, while elite troops will wait until they can read the serial number on the dogtags.

------------------

...This is Romeo-Foxtrot, shall we dance?...

Actually, I do have a convoy moving into an ambush scenario that I had created. The difference is that in my scenario there is only *one* way to go for vehicles, through a twisty and turny canyon. So the trucks et al have no choice but to run the gauntlet.

It's called "Canyon Escape" and it's located here:

http://www3.telus.net/pop_n_fresh/combatmiss/index.htm

I've not been able to get the AI to do this either. Seems like it won't make use of any vehicle that doesn't have a gun mounted on it. (At least that's my impression.)

I tried making a similiar scenario and had armed vehicles in the lead and marked the surrounding area as friendly in the scenario editor to get them going, but upon starting the battle, the AI simply either immediately disembarks the troops and they scatter, or the trucks just sit there with embarked troops and will never advance.

I put a buttload of victory flags up ahead to entice them to drive forward, but it just doesn't work. The troops always disembark or just sit there.

If it's a limitation of the game, that's fine, but it would be nice to know if there is a way to do this and we're just not doing it right, or not.

Originally posted by Johnno:

This is dense as I made a scenario where they had to exit the other side of the map for points. THIS HAS TO BE A BUG!!!

A bug? Please.

Phoenix is perhaps right in saying that the AI will not magically drive into enemy territory. However, this is an ambush, they don't know you are there! The AI is cheating in this aspect knowing you are there before you show yourself.

The AI is NOT cheating. Good grief. Where do people come up with this? Other units don't know where you are, what makes you think a truck doess? Did Charles make some special code so trucks know what to avoid? Oy.

Also, as for Ambushes, man it pisses me off when one of your guys gets up from hiding to shoot before the target hit the ambush marker. That is a real downer.

You're not commanding robots.

OK, the map I made had an american convoy - 2 tanks, 2 halftracks, a couple of jeeps, an armored car and about 6 trucks. There is a road going from South to North it runs through a pine forest and exits out the North end of the map where I have designated it to be the Allied exit side.

I placed two small flags along the road and a big one at the very end of it to the North.

I share the opinion of the other fellows that there is some problem with this - just thought of something - I need to try something and then I'll post again!

Guess I hadn't noticed, but the unarmed vehicles really don't seem to move, even with an exit zone and orders to exit the map. I even have only one edge of the map set as friendly to the convoy and they really can only move in one direction anyway. But even this doesn't help move the unarmed vehicles.

BTS had previously fixed some problems with vehicles not heading off the map in 1.04 and 1.05. But I guess this one slipped through.

My scenario is at The Depot if you wanted to try it out.

BTW, if you replace the trucks with HTs, or even armored cars but take away all their ammo (edit the units), this should help simulate non-fighting vehicles. Not perfect, but HTs make just as good targets for tanks as trucks are. smile.gif Though they don't succomb to MG fire as easily, unfortunately.

- Chris

Guest Big Time Software

I'll check into this, but I think everything is working as it was intended. Moving softskin, unarmed vehicles into the unknown is a no-no. The AI starts out every battle just like any human. That means it expects trouble. So this is not cheating, it is simply doing the smart thing. Or do you start up a game and say "gee, I am sure there are no bad guys on this map. I'll go for a Sunday drive humming a few bars from the latest popular song and thinking of really naughty women who show their legs in public"? smile.gif EHHHH... no biggrin.gif

If a truck us empty there is NO reason to move it unless there is some sort of danger. I suppose if you made the trucks available for exit points, and have an exit area, then they might move. But I have never tried this so I don't know.

As for units firing at Ambush markers too soon, check out what the manual has to say about this. There is a chance, depending on Experience, that a unit will "blow it". Pretty realistic if you ask me wink.gif

Steve

Has anyone tried just putting only trucks in the convoy, with riding infantry in the back?

And no support.

The AI would then have to choose to dismount the infantry, or convoy to the exit point.

------------------

The counter-revolution,

people smilling through their tears.

Who can give them back their lives, and all those wasted years.