off subject - Shogun: Total War

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

You can say '****ty' if you want. We're all mature enough to handle it, unlike some other lame UBB boards I know who block out the word 'rock'. rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miyamoto Musashi:

I'd love to play Shogun (being a HUGE Kurosawa fan), .... unless the PC version sells like hotcakes... so all you Win users get out there and buy a copy or two wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Double Ditto

I didn't think shogun looked all that great, actually. More like a cheap Myth knock-off, with tactical complexity at about the level Caesar 2's was. The backgrounds do look awfully sweet, but the ugly unit graphics ruin the overall effect. Were I you, I'd spend my money on Myth:Total Codex. smile.gif

-John

The backgrounds r sweet yes. And I dont mind a game that has fairly poor unit graphics when it allows 5,000 units on screen at once.

There have been plently of tactical wargames/sims released with great unit graphics but the problem is they cant handle more than a few units on screan which kinda makes the gameplay lame. (screamin demons was like this).

I prefer a trade of in graphics for increased unit numbers and better framerates, which ultimatly makes the gameplay much better.

Ah, but what would you consider a 'unit'? I'd say a unit is the smallest part of your force that can be independently controlled. In which case, the demo never gives you more than 6, and I'd guess the game proper never gives you more than 20-30, and that would be in a particularly large battle.

Also, the people aren't ugly for the sake of putting lots of them in, they could just have easily put in good looking tiny sprites. The artists are just abusing crack cocaine.

-John

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Hough:

The backgrounds do look awfully sweet, but the ugly unit graphics ruin the overall effect. Were I you, I'd spend my money on Myth:Total Codex. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<whining> But I already haaaave Myth :TC... I wanna game with little samurai... <sniff>

Guys,

Having played the Shogun demo and spent quite a bit of time on the supporting Web sites, I can tell you that it has been repeatedly stated that the troop graphics in the demo ARE NOT the graphics for the final game. The demo troops use crude graphics by design, presumably to hasten the fielding of the demo. The tactical game itself seems quite interesting, but it looks like the tactical game will not be integrated with the strategic game, at least in the initial release.

Hope this helps.

John Kettler

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kettler:

Guys,

The tactical game itself seems quite interesting, but it looks like the tactical game will not be integrated with the strategic game, at least in the initial release.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, hell! That kinda changes the whole flavor of the game, doesn't it? I thought the big selling point was that the Strategic machinations you employ as a Shogun-wannabe would then be translated into the appropriate Tactical battles using your pet samurai. frown.gif

the main point I was trying to get across is that Shogun has a very good "view control" interface. It takes a little getting used to but once mastered it's quick and easy to find the view that you want. It would be nice, although not totally necessary, if Combat Mission's view control were this fluid and smooth. I'm not complaing, mind you, just wishing.

I actually didn't much like Shogun's camera control.... They forced you, IIRC, to use the mouse both as the primary control device, as well as camera control. And I'm forced, once again, to point to Myth as sa superior system. Rotation and camera movement is handled by the block of keys starting with q, a handy position for right-handers using the mouse as well. Secondary camera movement can be done with the mouse on the mini-map or the edges of the screen, but is unnecessary. (though the minimap provides the quickest positional movement, and is still very handy)

I'm given to understand that the functionality of cm's keyboard camera controls has been greatly increased since the beta demo, particularly in regards to speed of rotation.

What I'd like to see in cm2 is easier and more precise control of all aspects of camera movement, including height and z-axis rotation, all through keys accessible to one stationary hand on the keyboard.

btw, if anyone in the know is reading this, can the keys be reassigned in cm1?

-John

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Hough:

Ah, but what would you consider a 'unit'? I'd say a unit is the smallest part of your force that can be independently controlled. In which case, the demo never gives you more than 6, and I'd guess the game proper never gives you more than 20-30, and that would be in a particularly large battle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Threre's a patch available that lets you edit the game files. There's also a few scenarios created by fans with a lot more than the 6 units in the original demo.

You can find them all at http://www.totalwar.org/index.htm

They are mostly pretty tough, and those that aren't are interesting anyway! smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, the people aren't ugly for the sake of putting lots of them in, they could just have easily put in good looking tiny sprites. The artists are just abusing crack cocaine.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's an example of the final graphics at the page above - they are much better than the 6-view sprites used.

Mike