OT - Josef Felder died yesterday

Guest Germanboy

Guest Germanboy

I know I should not, but everybody is doing it these days. Yesterday night Josef Felder died in Munich. He was 100 years old and the last surviving member of the Reichstag who voted against the Ermächtigungsgesetz, the law that allowed Hitler to get rid of democracy in Germany.

He and his fellow Social Democrat parliamentarians, who were the only ones to vote against the law, (most if not all the Communist members were already in prison at this time) were put under extreme pressure on the day of the vote and were afraid of their lives if they voted against the proposal becoming law. They did it nevertheless and many of them paid with years in exile, prison or death. Felder himself was incarcerated in Dachau. To me this men was the personification of what was good about Germany then and now and an inspiration showing that you could stand up against dictatorship, and that there are things worth fighting for.

Sorry for wasting your time, but I felt this had to be said.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 10-29-2000).]

A Wasted Post would have been if you had not told us about his death

Now we all can mourn Josef Felder's passing and honor him by our remembrance

Thank You for also having the courage of your convictions and telling us of his life and noting his death

Thanks for the enlightenment,I didn't know anyone in the Reichstag who dared stand up to the Nazis had even survived that period.Felder must have been a very brave man,my hat's off to him and all the others who stood with him.

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!

[This message has been edited by Splinty (edited 10-30-2000).]

This is a subject I know nothing about but I am glad you educated me. It is too bad that there were not more like him, so much missery could have been avoided. Points out the importance of people being true to their convictions and participating in the democratic process. May god bless his soul.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I didn't know anyone in the Reichstag who dared stand up to the Nazis had even survived that period.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

he surely would have died in the camp if it hadn't been for a famous sports guy who personally requested him to work as his secretary which got him out of the camp. Sort of a Schindler deal.

Felder had turned age 100 just two or so months ago, there was quite some news coverage on that birthday.

A very honorable and integer person indeed, he certainly has my highest respect.

Guest Offwhite

This is fascinating - the man lived through both world wars, the Cold War, reunification, and another decade for good measure. What an incredible breadth of experience.

Guest Madmatt

I learned something reading this post, so it was certainly not wasted. I have often wondered if there were people like this man during Hitlers rise to power. I will need to try and find more on this man.

Madmatt

One of the (sadly) underreported areas of German history is the resistance to Nazism both before and after 1933. Hitler's first move once in power was to put his political enemies into concentration camps, including many SPD and KPD party members and organizers who had resisted Nazism, often with force. Hitler survived several assassination attempts throughout the Nazi period, the most famous being the Generals' plot. There were several protests, demonstrations, and literature campaigns during the war, the majority of which were put down brutally by the Nazis.

If anyone's interested in reading more about the resistance to Nazism before and during 1933, I'd recommend a book called The Nazi Seizure of Power: The Experience of a Single German Town, 1922-1945 by William Sheridan Allen. You'd probably have to order it through Amazon, but it's an excellent book, and reads well. I can't remember the titles of any books that I'd recommend on resistance in the post-1933 period, but if I think of any I'll post them.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

[This message has been edited by Chupacabra (edited 11-01-2000).]