Greatest wargame of all time ?

Guest Zulu1

Close Combat 2. It's still on my HD.

There's some people out there making new maps (Omaha Beach is very good).

Online CC2 is lots of fun. Human opponents can be pretty sneaky. smile.gif

Out of the games I own, astoundingly enough I agree with Username. Of the V4V games, I owned Velikiye Luki and GJS.

Hard to pick which I liked more. Both were great fun and both had a good ebb and flow to them.

High quality SVGA graphics in 1992 and a great WEGO system.

Jason

Guest MantaRay

Well since CM isnt out, I would have to say TOAW. No one has touched the scope nor given so many details to absorb. Very fine game IMO, but I also like Panzer General. Not much for Grogs, but took some serious time away from sleep.

Ray

Hmmm...Such a question here will probably produce incorrect results. The people on this board like CM because they generally prefer tactical wargames. Go to the TOAW discussion board and you will get very different results.

Personally my favourite is TOAW: Wargame of the Year edition. Much more realsitic combat results than in the original TOAW.

PG/V4V or CC2 ?

Well, CC2 generated more excitment for me but PG has always been on my HD & has been played to death (even though it is gamey). The V4V series was prob. a little too compicated fro me as I was just geeting into wargaming at the time smile.gif I did enjoy G/J/S though.

Allied General & Pacific general didnt have the same kind of appeal.

Talonsoft's EF & WF have some mileage & Steel Panthers, now there's a good game.

To date though, nothing has captured my imagination as much as CM. Extrapolating this format 5 years down the road will, I think, result in an engine that is truly awesome. Maybe photorealistic images of troops and landscape ? If so, it would be like directing a movie. The potential CM4 generation games is almost unimaginable. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Keg (edited 03-26-2000).]

Guest GriffinCheng

If you people like V4V, I think CD Mag may still hvae the box which includes all 4 on a cd. I ordered mine from them but I have not checked if they are still in stock.

My choice for greatest goes to W@W - Op Crusader, TOAW 1 is a close runner-up. Carrier @ war is also my pick for naval section.

Griffin going to sleep.

Boy, that's hard to say. I think the best WWI/WWII tactical naval

wargame has to be Action Stations from RAW Entertainment. It's

realism has never been outdone. But it's in desperate need of a

newer version, it has, IIRC, CGA graphics and no sound (I mean not

even PC speaker smile.gif). The accuracy of the modeling is fantastic,

though.

5 years from now, hmm... Well, by then I think it will possible

to have infantry that look as good as the Quake marine (Quake I,

not any better than that) and maybe represent squads at 1 figure for

every two men, I still don't think we'll see a guy for every soldier

(assuming that Steve and Charles make em look as good as the Quake

marine, if they make them cruder looking they could do 1 to 1 scale).

The tanks will look gorgeous, almost as good as a CGI cutscene might

look (but not quite that good wink.gif). Buildings will be lavishly modeled,

both in how they look and how they interact with the combat engine.

Plus, Steve and Charles will hopefully have achieved 2/3 or better

of all the things on The List. smile.gif

Ah, it's enough to make one drool at the thought of it, isn't it? smile.gif

A Greatest Wargame thread has to at least mention Steel Panthers. The combination of historical accuracy, graphical immersion, and playability was breakthrough stuff, IMO.

Recognizing well its flaws and shortcomings, you still have to give it credit.

"CLANG": buttoned.

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 03-26-2000).]

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Yes, the V4Victory series were great. My friend and I used to play Hotseat games all the time. We still talk about one game of Velikiye Luki game we played where I was the Germans and he was the Russians where he had all but encircled the city and slowly edging his way into the eastern side, but then my SS group came in with 12-15 attack numbers and started cleaning house.

Operation Crusader was good, Stalingrad was OK. Never did much with the D-Day W@W game.

Steel Panthers I was awesome during its day. Loved how the 88s could sit up on a hill a plunk out tanks across the screen.

Looking forward to SP:W@W, got my SPII disc ready to go. wink.gif

My friend had the original CGA-graphic Pacific War game. Matrix games are redoing that one. The new one could be interesting for a free download. smile.gif

The original Panzer General was cool for its animated combat scenes.

Never could get into the Close Combat series, for the RTS top-down look.

Cross of Iron was damn cool although I had some problems running it. It had awesome sound effects. I wish CM had sound effects like that, not the machine gun fire, but the tank guns firing.

The Greatest Wargame of all time = Pacific War.

Released way back in 1995, this game is still on my hard drive. It has a good AI, and has a very accurate OOB (that is, after a fair amount of editing done by the great editors availible). Pacific War II, a graphical and content tweaked version of the original is to be released by Matrix Games sometime in the near future. If the original held up for 5+ years, then, the updated version, with everything the original offered and more, will be on my computer for probably another 5 years.

HI, Guys :

My favorite wargame is :

"Clash of Steel" - I called it COS

for short. Any one played this game

before ?? Although it is an old game,

but, you are the German high command,

you control all the Axis forces and you

can make you own battle plans.

Now, I am waiting for the same type of

wargame, named "Road to Moscow".

Sarge Huang

I got...

Pacific War

War In Russia

Carrier Strike

Clash of Steel

all in one CD. It was probably the best buy of a computer game in my life. COS was always a good fun game. Not too much detail in it, but, it was always fun. Actually defend France in 1940, and win. Take Moscow before the Russian Winter. Repel an Allied landing @ Normandy.

Conflict in Veitnam: Gawd this game with the others in the conflict series really rocked my Atari word when they game out. Still yet to be matched for innovation (real time wargames which worked btw.

Steel Panthers : Still play these to this day. Still the king in my book with its excellent campaign system which has yet to be bettered.

Medieval Lords: Not sure it counts as a wargame but MAN this game rocked. Actually felt like a real empire sim. The more you expanded the more your empire fell apart due to internal dissent. Awesome.

Kampfgruppe: Forerunner to steel panthers ans still awesome.

TOAW: I admire this game rather than enjoy it to be honest. Although I own the entire set I have never been able to play more than one game without uninstalling ti afterwards for a few months. Not sure why.

COS : Best grand strategy WW2 game. I could never get the sequal (furture clash?) To work frown.gif

_dumbo

Hi, Major Tom :

I have the same CD as you do, what a

deal on this CD, you got 4 great games and

a manaul.

I have save some of my campaign in Clash

of steel, do you ?? If yes, we may exchange

those movie files, so we can watch how

do we conquer the whole Europe and learn

some good tactics or strategy. What do you

say ??

regards