Survey: Please read

Hi there. In my depressing quest to find out why my all-powerful system seems incapable of running CM without lock-ups, I stumbled upon the fact that CM actually seems to run if I drop the resolution to 1024x768, as opposed to 1240x1024. I was able to run the gold demo at the higher resolution, and I really wanted to keep admiring CM in all it's high-res glory. My question to all of you:

What resolution do you play CM at?

Thank you

Jonathan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freyland:

Hi there. In my depressing quest to find out why my all-powerful system seems incapable of running CM without lock-ups, I stumbled upon the fact that CM actually seems to run if I drop the resolution to 1024x768, as opposed to 1240x1024. I was able to run the gold demo at the higher resolution, and I really wanted to keep admiring CM in all it's high-res glory. My question to all of you:

Thank you

Jonathan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm on a Mac Blue&White G3 350mghtz, so my platform might not compare properly to a PC, but 1024x768 (85Hz) is the highest resolution my machine will drive my 17" monitor (with an ATI Rage128 board, 16 Mb), so that's the resolution I play at. Everything's smooth, quick, and looks pretty good, and I don't have to disable any graphics features. Used to play at 832x624, but I think this looks better and works just as smoothly.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

1280 x 960 on a PIII 600 with Matrox G400 and a 19" monitor . Runs smoothly and looks great so far. Haven't encountered fog yet.

It ran well at 1280 x 1024, but I wanted the better proportions.

------------------

Res ipsa loquitur

Unfortunately only 640 x 480!

But the PowerBook (300Mhz Wallstreet II, G3 192RAM / 7Gb drive) supports 1024 x 768 when on its own or linked to a 21" ColourSync monitor.

The game automatically changes to 640 x 480 when it launches (and drops from millions of colours to thousands).

------------------

Regards,

Mark:-{)

Anxiously awaiting the G4 PowerBook

I've witnessed the Clash of Eagles scenario being played on a Athlon 1Ghz with a GeForce2. That's a thousand megahertz of CPU power!

I can't begin to describe how gorgeous this game looked on this high-end system. Needless to say framerates were incredibly smooth and everything looked 10 times better due to the high framerates.

[This message has been edited by Ricky (edited 07-10-2000).]

I have been playing in 1024x768, but may go to a lower res b/c I have encountered some pretty severe stuttering in a large scenario, down to 5 fps at level 4 viewing the entire map(clear weather). There is a lot of armor and such, but this does seem pretty slow. I had the MDMP installed, and decided to reinstall w/o it. No change in the fps (and the MDMP terrain does look lots better). My system is:

433 Celeron

TnT2 (32 meg)

128 megs of ram

SB Live

Full install.

Anyone else seeing similar results with large scenarios??

Regards,

The Dude

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freyland:

Thank you

Jonathan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THIS IS THE DUMD QUESTION OF THE DAY rolleyes.gif BUT I WILL ANSWER IT THOUGH 800x400 res. rolleyes.gif

I was just testing a "Huge" senario.

- 1024/768 res.

-PIII 600 eb

-Geforce 256

-128/133mhz

First thing I hit ctrl+atl+del to close everything but Systray and Explorer.

Very important!

Especially if I was just on the net. Lots of things running in the background afterwards.

I ran a huge senario with reinforcements on

both sides. 8,000 average points w/combined arms:

Germans:

9 tanks(very good ones biggrin.gif)

2 wirbels

2 37mms

5 75mms

1 8cm

roughly 3 companys of infantry w/trucks or halftracks

2 artillery obs. 150mm

3 pillboxes 7wire 3per mines 3tank mines

Americans:

2 sher croc's

9 sher 105's

5 M10's

9 M24's

5 M7's

5 sher easy eights

2 companies engineers

3 companies riflemen

most infantry in M3's

4 fighterbombers

4 105mm obs

The terrian was intolerable deep valleys

narrow roads, but the Americans had a large

safe assembly area.

I was testing AI settings and watching how well the Americans plotted their vehicles/infantry. Bumping up a notch of AI and watching again.(after a reboot)

The senario didn't lock until the Americans

fired every smoke shell they had at the 75mm's ambushing the engineers.

For about 4 straight turns, I suspect the smoke is our graphic cards nightmare, because prior to that CM tracked air attacks/15 to 20 hit and burning vehicles/and massive small arms fire.

Still tweaking the senario, it ran until turn 25 before the smoke lock. But mind you the smoke would have covered a small map entirely.

Map size was 1280-800 roughly.

Overall I'm very happy with the game, that many units in a talonsoft would drag on and on and on waiting for the AI. CC? yea don't make me laugh...

I have run it on two systems..

1st

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>K6/3 400

<LI>128 Megs PC100 RAM

<LI>Diamond MX300

<LI>Guillemot Xentor 32 TNT2 Ultra

@1024x768 no problems...

2nd

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Athlon 1ghz

<LI>256mb PC133