OT: Ultimate Soldier XD vehicles

Guest ckoharik

Guest ckoharik

After searching with no results I thought some might find this interesting. There is a series of toys at Toys R Us in the Ultimate Soldier Xtreme Detail line. I picked up the M4 Sherman today. Nice detail, looks cool. Didn't know there was a Panther available as well. Will have to keep looking for that one. Nothing like some extra "clutter" on the desk when playing CM.

http://www.21stcenturytoys.com/STATIC/usxd_section.html

-Chris

Guest ckoharik

Well, darn it all to... I must have missed that thread and my search criteria was too specific. My apologies for the duplicate info. My bad. wink.gif Just thought it was cool. Gotta find that Panther.

-Chris

Guest Madmatt

Now this is just sad. Went to that webpage and then noticed they had a forum. I started wondering what their forum would be like so i clicked on it and got THIS message:

Due to the amount of persistent profanity, racial slurs, and negativity recently posted on the 21st Century Toys message boards, the board will be shut down until further notice.

We apologize to those of you who use the message boards as they were meant to be used.

Management

21st Century Toys

Interesting...

Madmatt

Guest ckoharik

Damn! That is pretty bad when a toy forum gets shut down due to that. Where's the Idiot Police when you need them.

On the topic of the Panther, I just checked the Toys R Us page (actually, Amazon now) and saw that the Panther was $10 more than the Sherman. Any reasons for this. From the pics it looks like the Panther doesn't have all the bits and detail that the Sherman does. Maybe it is just the size.

MadMatt, I know the back story on that...

Being an action figure fanatic, and recently picking up 6 of the WWII ED action figures to stage a battle around my PC, I stumbled over the Forum Problems.

It seems that they (21st Century) released a Viet Cong figure (in thier fine 12" figure line) and people on the Forums kept refering to it with every known racial slur...

I guess they have also had problems with Nazi's...

It's VERY sad! Like the Combat Mission team, all these people are trying to do is present a product with the most accuracy and detail.

Anyhoo, I just found out yesterday that Amazon carries the XD (3.5") line of Toys 'R US exclusive (21st Century) WWII action figures... so if anyone here is interested but doesn't want to run out to a Toys 'R Us, just go to the Toys section of AMAZON and search for "WWII".

EDIT: Oooops, I just noticed CkoHarik already mentioned the Amazon thing... while I was typing...

The reason the Panther is more expensive is SIZE, from what I can tell.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 10-10-2000).]

Guest ckoharik

Well, for $10 more it had better be huge!!! I would have picked it up yesterday regardless of price if Toys R Us had actually had one on the shelf. Did see the 1/6th scale Stuart. BIG box there. A measly $200 price tag to boot. Maybe it would make a good R/C conversion? Although, with a Tamiya 1/16th scale Tiger I R/C kit on the way... wink.gif

So, I'll probably end up buying the Panther through Amazon. I'm soooo weak willed.

Guest ckoharik

My girlfriend would have surely maimed me if I had brough home that Stuart. The Sherman she just laughs and thinks nothing of...but that beast would have been a different story.

On a side note, they had the Me109 hanging from the ceiling along side the Hughes 500. When I asked the guy getting the Sherman from the top shelf (none on the lower areas) if it was a model or a toy he said model only to later visit the 21st site and find out differently. Looked pretty good too.

Ok, have to chime in here on the girlfriend topic. 1 month ago I owned not a single Dragon (GIJOE)12" figure. Then after coming into some extra money this month...well, lets just say my girlfried thought the first four figures on top of our entertainment center were "cute". Although she wished that they had real hair so she could comb it! But now my collection has risen to 9 w/ 2 more on the way and my Girlfriend has taken to calling them "Tribles". I have promised her that they will soon be moving to the bookshelf, as soon as I can figure out what to do w/ all the war books there. biggrin.gif

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

[This message has been edited by Red Devils (edited 10-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Red Devils (edited 10-10-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ckoharik:

On the topic of the Panther, I just checked the Toys R Us page (actually, Amazon now) and saw that the Panther was $10 more than the Sherman. Any reasons for this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simple, mass-production!

biggrin.gif

Guest ckoharik

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Originally posted by CavScout:

Simple, mass-production!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ugh! I asked for that one.

I just got back from Toys R Us, and I picked up the Panther and a couple of infantrymen to 'ride on the back' as it sits on my monitor at home. The Panther is a few inches longer than the Sherman, even though the boxes say they are both 1/18 scale. I did see the 1/6 Stuart, and I would buy it in an instant if it was R/C, even considering the divorce it would certainly entail.

Can anyone tell me if they make any R/C tanks in 1/6 scale, or similar?

Thanks

------------------

CrapGame

Check out their (21st Century) website listed above in the first post. You will find everything they make there.

While you are there, check out the PLAYSET in the XD (3.5") toy line!!! It's half of a bombed out house, and it looks like a model the detail is so good!

Now THAT would certainly be divorce material...

Guest ckoharik

First off, I broke down and ordered the Panther. Can't have one without the other... wink.gif

Second, in regards to the R/C tank question, yes, they do make em. Some big, some not so big. I'm eagerly awaiting my 1/16th scale Tiger I kit from Tamiya. Not very ruggedized but from what I've researched, very nice. At around $700 it's far easier to afford than the bigger ones (at around $1500-3000 a pop). Below are some links to sites that specialize in R/C tanks.

RC Armory http://www.rcarmory.com

Crazy Ivan's http://hometown.aol.com/user1127/index.html Must see!!!

Russian R/C Tanks http://www.interdacom.ru/~tanks/ Check out that 1/6th Tiger!!!

RC Tank http://www.rctank.com

Guest ckoharik

CrapGame wrote:

Thanks a bunch for the links. And yes, you are now on my wife's hit list.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, not a problem. Always happy to help other people get into the same trouble I do. Share and share alike.

If you want I'll let you know how the Tamiya kit works out. From all accounts it's pretty sweet. And, you can get the whole kit to include batteries, charger, radio, and tank for about $850 from Hobbylink Japan ( http://www.hlj.com )

Guest Napoleon1944

I see in my Fall In PEL (miniatures wargaming convention in Gettysburg Pa) that someone will be running a wargame using these figures. Must be a massive terrain board.

Guest ckoharik

Napoleon1944 wrote:

I see in my Fall In PEL (miniatures wargaming convention in Gettysburg Pa) that someone will be running a wargame using these figures. Must be a massive terrain board.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here in Arizona some years back I was at a gaming convention where a group showed off how they played battles using 1/35th scale models and terrain. It was friggin huge!!! But, they only managed to do something like 2 turns in 2 days. Was sweet to look at, wish I had gotten pics.

Side note: Just got the Tamiya 1/16th scale Tiger I R/C kit. Oh...my...god! This thing is a beast. A sweet beast at that! Might have to pull myself away from CM for a few days to build it. If anyone (CrapGame) would like pics of the kit I can do that.

ck,

I'd love to see anything that you can post. I was looking at those links, and saw the 1/6 scale Tiger. Whew, my eyes lit up when I saw that. How cool would that be to put a servo-controlled paintball gun in the turret, and play wargames in the back yard! Too bad it was $8-Grand!

------------------

CrapGame