Music to play CM to

I just got done watching Kelly's Heroes again, after being reminded about it here on the CM boards. I put on the song from that movie, Burning Bridges by the Mike Curb Congregation while getting my butt kicked by Joe Shaw and I must say, it really enhanced the experience.

Another good one I am playing now is Billy Don't be a Hero by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods. I should have taken it to heart in our PBEM :-(

Of course, being a patent/trademark attorney, I cannot in good conscience recommend that you download these hard to get oldies from napster. :)

Any other good music the denizens here listen to to get into the mood?

[This message has been edited by kunzler (edited 07-06-2000).]

1) I won because the stupid game ended on turn 25 and AT THAT TIME I was ahead on points, it wouldn't have lasted.

2) Listening to music huh? THAT explains why your Panther took forever to target my Sherman. They were probably toe tapping to Lili Marlene.

3) One word ... Bagpipes! Nothing like them to stir the blood. Scotland Forever stills raises the hair on the back of my head.

Joe

Starland Vocal Band

Vanilla Ice

smile.gif

Seriously,I know of a board wargamer who plays Holst's "Mars" an Grieg's "In the Halls of the Mountain King" when he plays a wargame.1812 Overture might be a good one too.

-Monkeybutt

(what about Wayne Newton huh? he's the king! smile.gif)

Pipes.

Battlefield Band.

Ossian.

Shooglenifty.

Boiled in Lead.

and, somewhat strangely, Alisdair Fraser.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Setup: Primus 'Southbound Pachyderm'

Battle:

Klaus Doldinger's soundtrack to 'Das Boat'

Richard Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen

Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss

Victory: Black Sabbath's 'Lord of this World'

Defeat: Black Sabbath's 'Solitude'

[This message has been edited by muzzlehead (edited 07-06-2000).]

Wagner...really really loud! Make that armor rush with Ride of the Valkyries playing and you'll get chills! Also, play Siegfied's Funeral Music in the setup phase and it should ad to the pre-battle tension. I can just see the smoke wafting across the battlefield and feel the apprehension when that is piece is playing.

[This message has been edited by vcents (edited 07-06-2000).]

Carmina Burana! Also, it's good to play Doom to The Tiujuana Brass. Nothing like watching the barrel rock back and forth to the Mexican Hat Dance. I am thinking of using "I am Woman" and the rest of Ann Murray's greatest hits. The Bee Gees would also bring an air of ironic travesty to the experience.

------------------

"Rinky dinky stinky thinky"

It's got to be celtic. That music just drives the blood, and also helps me think. Slow and sad, or fast and happy, pipes are lovely too.

It is stange listining to the haunting sounds of someone like Enya while watching buildings blaze...

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

Soundtrack pieces from;

Gladiator

Excaliber

Conan

ST movie 1 Klingon Imperial Theme

ST move 2 The music in the nebula scene

Full Metal Jacket

Classical;

Holst's Mars

Wagner's Das Rheingold (the whole thing)

...and bits and pieces from others.

Rock;

Led Zep's "You Shook Me" for those night battles is cool.

The Wall (a movie, an album hingeing around a Panzer Attack "Beyond Overlord".)

Wagner is cool, there's nothing better to listen to than the "Walkürenritt" when watching a succesfull Panzer attack.

While watching my Infantry I sometimes find myself humming "Die Krone" (Does anybody here know of a CD which contains this song ?).

To get me in the mood I like German Military Marches, especially the "Präsentiermarsch", "Preussens Gloria" and the "Marsch des York'schen Korps".

"Gladiator" and "Full Metal Jacket" are also fine, but "Das Boot" ?

Well I guess that has to wait until Combat Mission XXI: Below the Waves.

Lutz

In adition to those previously mentioned:

Beethoven's 5th symphony

Sibelus' "Finlandia"

Wagner's "The flying Dutchman"

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

fIf you can find it...

The Silva Treasury "WAR!" (Great Movie Themes)

1) Where Eagles Dare

2) Battle of the Bulge

3) Casualties of War

4) 633 Squadron

5) Sink the Bismarck

6) Bridge at Remagen

7) MacArthur/Patton (the General's Suite)

8) Das Boot

9) Night of the Generals

10) Guns of Navarone

11) The Longest Day (March)

12) Battle of Midway

13) In Harm's Way

14) Is Paris Burning

For a grand total of 55 minutes of War Movie greatness! If you're interested the email address on the cd is: SilvaBop@aol.com

(I found it in a used record store)

Also, the Bridge Over the River Kwai?

He he, I am presently listening to Snoopy and the Red Baron. Guess I should be playing a flight sim. It is probably apparent that I have quite sophisticated taste in music. :)

BTW, re: the last post, try silvascreen.com

[This message has been edited by kunzler (edited 07-07-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lutz:

While watching my Infantry I sometimes find myself humming "Die Krone" (Does anybody here know of a CD which contains this song ?).

Lutz<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this the song which starts like:

" Gäb es nur eine Krone

Wohlan ich schenkte sie

Der Tapferkeit zum Lohne..."

Well, I'm looking for this song for about ten years or so. I stumbled over it at the "Bundeswehr Liederfibel" by accident some years ago but I unfortunatly don't know if there is a CD or something like that which includes the song. Best bet is maybe to visit some Bundewehr webpages and do some digging. I'll drop you a note if I find it.

cu

Schugger

------------------

Es gibt Tage da verliert man und Tage da gewinnen die anderen.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kunzler:

Also, the Bridge Over the River Kwai?

BTW, re: the last post, try silvascreen.com

[This message has been edited by kunzler (edited 07-07-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the link... I've been fretting about what to do if the damn disk got a scratch... think I'll order up a backup copy. (actually, a quick look over the site showed they have an AWESOME catalog!)

smile.gif

Don't forget Red marches. Communism was just about as bankrupt as an ideology can be but the Reds had lots of excellent composers. Soviet Anthem, Varshavyanka, Free Russia, and many others. I just spent half an hour trying to find Russian lyrics for "across the valleys and the meadows" but with no luck. Though, I came upon lyrics of "dzis do ciebie przyjac nie moge" (partisan waltz) so at least some good came of it.

From military marches (in addition to those mentioned above) my favorities are Jääkärimarssi (Jaeger March) by Sibelius, Muistoja Pohjolasta (Remembrance of the North) by Sihvo, the march of Finnish cavalry of the 30 year war (Yup, it really dates from that war, though lyrics are from mid 19th century), and German Erika.

- Tommi

Godsmack, Powerman 5000, Static X, Charged GBH, CoC, Kittie...

Years ago I probably would have listed a bunch of classical or maybe Tangerine Dream (Near Dark), but it just lacks a certain intensity... thicker, older blood needs to be shoved a little harder. Ok, maybe E. Berliotz's Symphony Fantastique... maybe...

Nah! Can't go any softer than Monster Magnet.

--j.