German Pronunciation 101

Anyone care to enlighten me as to the correct (or commonly accepted) pronunciation for some of the German squads/vehicles/etc?

Such as:

The "jagd" in jagdpanther.

Fallschirmjaeger.

Gebirgsjaeger.

Sturmgruppe.

Volkssturm.

Sturmgeschutz.

...and any other common ones that I may have overlooked.

These might roll of the tongue quite easily for most of the grogs on this board, but for a poor uneducated man like myself, they pose a bit of a problem.

Many thanks,

-*Majik*-

Guest Mortiis

definately kewl, boy was I ever mispronuncing those, thnx apex

[This message has been edited by Mortiis (edited 08-29-2000).]

May I put in a request for "nahverteidigungswaffe"? Or would that be too large a file to easily download? wink.gif

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

Wow! Although I figured someone would go the phonetic route (as Mensch suggested), I can't say I'm all that suprised that Apex replied the way he did. After reading this board for many a month (years now?) I've almost come to expect innovative and useful replies such as Apex's glorious effort.

Many thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daveman:

May I put in a request for "nahverteidigungswaffe"? Or would that be too large a file to easily download? wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Double that request for "nahverteidigungswaffe!"

Somebody post it, or I'm gonna record it myself. And I *DON'T* know how to speak German ... biggrin.gif

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

Guest machineman

Can't get through to the links, but I am guessing pronounciation is 'Yagdpanther', meaning 'hunting panther'. How much of the German popularity amongst the war crowd is just due to the kick-ass names they gave everything?!