An interesting thought (what if?..)

An attack on a technologically advanced country in these days and times. The nukes would have started flying from both sides, for sure. It would be a race to see who could destroy the others homeland first.

Strat

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If you like this theme you'd love the novel, The Guns of the South. In that book some modern day sesessionists get ahold of a time machine and send AK47s, Flack Jackets and 50 cal Brownings to R. E. Lee and company. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That one was by Harry Turtledove. Another great Turtledove novel is "How Few Remain," in which the South successfuly pushed the North out of its territory and became recognized as a sovereign nation. Lincoln is impeached and resigns, and starts traveling around the country giving Marxist speeches. Stonewall Jackson doesn't die. Twenty-something years later, Custer is tasked with handling a potentially violent situation with the Mormons (he gets Gatling guns...lucky him) and new tensions between the USA and CSA flare up when Mexico wants to sell the CSA some land that would extend the Confederacy's border with the United States in the Southwest. All of which leads to (you guessed it!) war between the CSA and USA.

IIRC Turtledove has written some books about World War One that occur in the same universe as "How Few Remain." From what I've heard, it's basically the CSA vs. the USA in World War One, and some complicating relationships and alliances in Europe.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

[This message has been edited by Mirage2k (edited 08-07-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by machineman:

As far as 'what if' scenarios, I've always wondered what would have happened if the Germans would have developed a guided land based 'ship killer' rocket, using their glider bomb technology (which did sink an Italian battleship). Mounted on trucks like V2's they would have been hard to spot and quick to deploy. From what I understand Naval gunfire was what saved the American bacon at Omaha, and throughout the early part of the Normandy battles, whenever the panzers got too close to the sea the ships big guns rocked their world. A few burning battleships and things may have gone a lot differently for the Allies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder how Europe would differ in modern times if we were forced to nuke them into submission.. Well, the Russians would have beaten us there before we could have done so.. but still interesting..

Interesting off topic trivia, in Overy's book Russias War, it stated that the us supplied enough canned meat(SPAM)to feed every russian soldier 8oz a day for the duration of the war.. Now thats alotta spam..

The Russian juggernaut seemed unstoppable as it rolled onto Berlin, but from what I've read more recently is they stretched pretty thin as far as supply lines went, guess it went both ways. I would surmise that without Normandy etc., the Germans would have dug in and been damn near impossible to root out. Plus the Russians always seem to fight best on their home turf.

------------------

As the victors define history, so does the majority define sanity...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

Ok then , how about a Mini-Mike Ditka, with infrared goggles, and a TOW equipped Humvee vs. the 1944 Panzer Lehr.

I say Mike Ditka 162, Lehr 0.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think Ditka would actually need the Humvee w/TOW?

Ok, first off...forget nukes...wipe them from your mind...they don't exist.

Now...what would be interesting, would be to say, take the Third Reich, say that it won WW2, and progress their military machine to the year 2000.

Now let em take on the USA we all know and love right now in the year 2000.

I know who would win...do you?

------------------

Hermann-Göring-Panzer-Division

Generalmajor Dryfear (CO)

Volunteer for the Fatherland today!

Pitfiend06@aol.com

IntelWeenie said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's just as interesting to think about what HASN'T changed since WWII. Up until 10-15 yrs ago, the US still fielded the same helmet, several small arms (M1911, .50 cal MG, etc.), nearly identical personal accoutrements (pup tent, mess kit, web gear, dog tags) among many other things. On the infantry side especially, things aren't so different from what they once were. Hmmm, MP44s vs. M16s.... Granted, things have really changed in the last few years, but its amazing how long some things lasted! (and we still use the Ma Duece!

--------------------------------

And if the U.S. Air Force gets it's way, some bright-eyed and bushy-tailed young officer, along about 2030, is going to have the chance of flying the same B-52 his great grandfather flew almost 80 years before!

biggrin.gif