v4 CPX Sat Nov 9th

Slaggg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like you have a pretty full game but if there is room I would like to observe. I'll check irc prior to game start to see if there is room.

How does one observe only one side? I thought that all observers get the 'big picture' only. It is possible, but not certain, that I could join as an observer in reserve for whoever is shorter on reservists.

Randy

Originally posted by Randall Erickson:

How does one observe only one side? I thought that all observers get the 'big picture' only. It is possible, but not certain, that I could join as an observer in reserve for whoever is shorter on reservists.

Randy,

I think the umpire puts us observers in a neutral side's vehicle that we get to fly / drive around and thus can maintain-- at least to some extent -- the fog of war.

Originally posted by LibertyOrDeath:

Will there be an IRC channel for spectators for this CPX? I won't be available for full participation but I'd like to see how CPXs are played from a player's point of view.

Observers usually hang out on the central game channel and on both side's command channels, so they see everything.

Obviously, such an observer cannot join the game later smile.gif

Looks like there are already enough players and observers, but if there is any slots left I would love to join wherever I could be the most useful.

It's been a couple years since my last CPX, (Hi James!), but I'm confident playing any role.

I'm fortunate to have a fast machine, connection and have the time for the whole 6 hours. No preference, just put me where you need someone.

A note for Observers/Reserve players for the Nov 9 CPX:

Due to the concerns of the players regarding possible networking problems, Observers will not be able to connect to the TacOps network. HOWEVER, Alex Ingles has agreed to assist me in getting the Observers the information they want regarding the CPX. Using IRCs XDCC feature, Alex will have access to my Autosave folder, enabling him to call up the list of savegame files, download them, and distribute them to the Observers to analyse at their leisure. Passwords will be in effect. If you intend on being a reserve player, you will receive only the password for the side you choose to represent. Regular observers will of course receive both passwords. The downside to this is of course not being able to receive game updates in real time, and I do apologize for any inconvienence this may cause to the casual observers out there, but I must take the concerns of the players to heart in this, it's their game smile.gif . The upside to this includes more people being able to observe, the Observers won't have to worry about when they can connect/disconnect from the TacOps network, and the Observers get to analyse the unfolding drama at their own pace :D .

We'll be testing this Sat Nov 2, beginning at 1530 GMT. I'll post the IRC server and channel here just prior to the test.

Originally posted by Slaggg:

A note for Observers/Reserve players for the Nov 9 CPX:

Due to the concerns of the players regarding possible networking problems, Observers will not be able to connect to the TacOps network. HOWEVER, Alex Ingles has agreed to assist me in getting the Observers the information they want regarding the CPX. Using IRCs XDCC feature, Alex will have access to my Autosave folder, enabling him to call up the list of savegame files, download them, and distribute them to the Observers to analyse at their leisure.

Do we know which map will be in use?

Edit: Is it 541c?

[ October 31, 2002, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Fire&Thunder ]

Originally posted by MajorH:

>We'll be testing this Sat Nov 2 ...

Watch closely here for an announcement of a new v403 series patch. If I get the patch done by Saturday then you should use the patch. It will be only a small download.

I worked this week with a Fort Knox test cell. They exposed and I fixed several obscure but important net crash bugs.

I will be working tonight and Friday on some new routines that are intended to improve the ability of the program to cope with external Internet connection problems.

I appreciate your continuing support of this most awesome game, Major. smile.gif Will the teammate transport bug be fixed with this update as well?

CPXers ... please get and use the 403FL patch below for the 9 Nov CPX. [Others are welcome to try it out also.]

I have posted an interim v403FL game engine patch to the TacOps support ftp area. Enter the following URL into the address line of your web browser, exactly as shown.

ftp://TacOps4:isupport@ftp.combatmission.com

The Windows patch is titled "TacOps v403FL Patch Win.zip".

The Mac patch is titled "TacOps v403FL Patch Mac.sit".

A. Download and then Unzip or unstuff the patch file for your OS.

B. Drag/copy the unzipped/unstuffed contents of the downloaded patch file into your TacOps v4 folder so as to replace any file or files of the same name.

Major H.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Newest changes.

v403FK through v403FL.

Enhancement. Artillery Support Window. The status information line for an on-map mortar or artillery unit now also displays the optional text name for that unit if the player has assigned one.

Enhancement. The time displayed in the game time clock in the lower left corner of the map window can now be changed by use of the "Options/More Options" menu item. This feature is intended mainly for use by a scenario designer who is editing an existing scenario - preferably during the first few minutes/turns of a given scenario. The time displayed by this clock is currently almost completely cosmetic, so changing the time setting will usually have little if any effect on actual game play or the current game situation. The known exceptions are possible undesired side effects if there is an activated bomb in play or if a unit is engaged in breaching operations.

Enhancement. Multiplayer teams mode. The situation update and order exchange processes are no longer canceled if a player computer becomes unresponsive during data exchange. Each block of data that is passed during the situation update process and in the orders exchange process now has a progress timer. If a given player computer is or becomes unresponsive during any part of the process, that computer will now be automatically dropped from the network and the situation update or orders exchange will advance to the next player computer. The default progress timer for each step is 15 seconds. The umpire can choose to shorten or lengthen the progress timer from 10 to 120 seconds by using the "Network/More Network Tools" menu item. It is likely that the progress timer will need to be increased for Internet play or if there are a very large number of unit markers in play.

Enhancement. Multiplayer teams mode. Added much more code to track when actions performed by the umpire should be followed with a situation update to one or more players.

Enhancement. Multiplayer teams mode. The program will no longer allow an umpire to optionally force the start of a combat/movement phase when the program believes that one or more players need a more current situation update. The umpire must now always either update or disconnect such players before advancing to the combat/movement phase. The Network Status Report now highlights deficient players in red plus the statement " - needs situation update" or "requires situation update". Any player with the annotation "requires situation update" must be updated or disconnected before the game will advance to the combat/movement phase. A player with the annotation "needs situation update" is an observer and does not have to be updated or disconnected in order to advance to the combat/movement phase.

Enhancement. Multiplayer teams mode. Program does additional record keeping on whether a given player has units, arty, air, mines, bridges, entrenchments, etc in play. These records are then used during sit update and orders exchange to avoid unnecessary net queries and handshake responses. This change is unlikely to be noticeable on a LAN but should take a few seconds off of each sit update or orders exchange during Internet play.

Enhancement. Multiplayer Teams Mode. Added "Ping Selected Player" button to the Network Status Report. Pressing this button will send a signal to the selected player/computer. A "success" sound will be heard if the target computer automatically responds to this signal within five seconds, otherwise an error sound will be heard. Failure to respond does not always indicate that the player is off the net - the target computer may have simply missed the ping or it may be performing a TacOps task or a background application task that takes longer than five seconds to complete.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Recent changes.

v403FH through v403FJ.

Bug fix. Multiplayer teams mode. If an ATGM was fired during the last 15 seconds of a combat turn AND if the range was so great that the flying ATGM could not reach its target within the last 15 seconds of that turn THEN one or more player computers (but not the host computer) would sometimes crash during the next orders exchange or shortly after.

Bug fix. The program would sometimes crash when the Support Report was displayed if the report included an on-map artillery piece that was being towed by a vehicle.

Bug fix. The program failed to keep the menu bar disabled when a user opened and then closed a unit info window while the Order of Battle Report windows were open.

Bug fix. If an Order of Battle Report window contained more than one column of icons and if the user clicked on an icon in any column other than the leftmost column then the program would fail to open the correct unit information window.

Bug fix. Once all occurrences of a particular type of unit had been eliminated from a game, the program would fail to display the correct unit information window when the user clicked on a unit type icon in an Order of Battle Report window.

Bug fix. The program failed to disable control/command keystroke shortcuts while the Order of Battle Report windows were open.

Bug fix. When the following menu items in the Network menu were used by an umpire to change unit PINs they would sometimes fail to properly set/reset the parent and player PINs for on-map artillery and mortar units when such units were being transported or towed: Change PIN Listed Units, Change PIN Selected Units, Change PIN Off Map Artillery, and Change PIN All. Bugs produced by this included intermittent damage to the artillery/mortar pointer list which would then crash the program the next time that the Arty Support Window was opened, lost units, duplicated units, and orders exchange hangs/failures.

Enhancement. When opened in a network game the following windows will now check for certain problems in unit PIN assignment and will display any problems found in red text plus the phrase "** PIN Assignment Error ** at the end of each unit information line: Situation Report, Support Report, Change PIN Listed Units, Change PIN Selected Units, and Change PIN Off Map Artillery. If problem lines are ever found in these reports, the umpire should immediately stop the game and attempt to manipulate the PIN assignments for the affected units until the error annotation disappears. The umpire should then send a situation update to all players. Saved game files that were produced by any previous version of TacOps should be screened for PIN assignment problems before being used again in an exercise.

Enhancement. When the Artillery Support Window is open, if an on-map artillery or mortar unit is currently being transported its mission box will be grayed out and the phrase "unavailable - is being transported" will be shown.

Enhancement. When a unit's player PIN differs from its parent PIN, both PINs will now be displayed in some unit status displays and in all PIN change windows. The parent PIN will be listed first, then a dash, and then the player PIN. The "parent PIN" field is only relevant when a unit is embarked aboard a vehicle or helicopter or when a unit is being towed. When a unit is loaded into a vehicle or helicopter or is towed, its player PIN temporarily changes to match the PIN of the unit that is doing the transporting. The parent PIN does not change in these situations and thus can be used to restore command of the transported unit when it is later unloaded or released from towing. The failure to previously display the parent PINs may have misled some users into making inappropriate PIN changes or into believing that some units had disappeared from play.