Band Of Brothers

I just want to take the time to HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who has not read it. Since CM, I have taken to reading whatever WWII books I can get, and this has by far been the best of the lot for me so far!

Band of Brothers... it's the story of Easy Company throughout the war.

I'm sure the book is old news to most here, but I just want to bring it to the attention of any who are not aware of it.

Mr. Clark,

Many HBO programs are in VHS and some even in DVD. I can come to "Sorphonos", "Sex and The City", "Tuskegee Airmen", etc are available to views who do not have HBO (overseas like me) installed.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Mr. Clark,

Yes, Ryan's serious. It's supposed to be 12-13 episodes. Man, I hope those are hour-long episodes.

The two most recognizable names (to me) in the cast are David Schwimmer as Herbert Sobel and Ron Livingston as Lewis Nixon. Other than that, most are relative unknowns (as it should be).

Schwimmer is a bit thick in the torso for Sobel, but his face is right on. Livingston is perfect for Nixon.

They are shooting right now and are hoping for snow soon. The series will make the wait for CM2 easier to bear next summer.

Matt

I was wondering when that Hanks/Speilberg

collaborations was coming out. It should be very cool!

I know how alot of people on here felt about SPR but I still say it is one of the best WWII flicks ever made. I am hoping that this new series along with success of SPR will start a new boom in the WWII genre.

It seems that whenever Hanks gets interested in a subject he takes it far. like with the Apollo 9 movie and subsequent series on HBO.

I just hope that they can keep the patriotism

equal with the facts. God help Speilberg and Hanks if they don't! smile.gif

mord

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

Ryan, are you serious??!!!

I... must... get... HBO... NOW!!!!

Thanks for the info man! That's awesome stuff right there!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every now and again HBO will show like a 2 minute making of preview. Hanks and Speilberg wandering around the English countryside. Shots of the armorer handleing the small arms (Captain Miller's Thompson will make at least a cameo). Of particular interest was the metalshop where mock armor was being created. Looked very good.

I'm just about done reading Band of Brothers. If you liked it, I highly recommend reading "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa." by Eugene Sledge. Sledge actually was a member of the 1st Marines and fought in those two campaigns, so I think he has a level of detail & understanding that Ambrose can't match.

There is an interesting parallel in the two stories, despite being different branches in different theaters. Many of the men express the sentiment that they volunteered for an elite unit early in the war because they figured their chances were better if the men they served with were also well-trained, motivated volunteers. This proved true, but as the war ground on, the replacements came with less and less conditioning and training. Those replacements were often the next casualties, and it was very shocking when one of the old hands would be killed.

[Edited because I forgot how to spell Peleliu]

------------------

"Late evening turned to early morning as you sat with fists tightly gripped and thumb poised, anxiously awaiting the next cartridge of goodness. The hardcore gamer was born from nights such as these. Show your 'Roots.'" - The description of the Atari 2600 shirt on game-skins.com

[This message has been edited by Supertanker (edited 12-01-2000).]

Supertanker, I also found the volunteer for a "special" unit to survive the war mentality interesting. I'll check out that other book you mentioned.

Compassion, hopefully... if the series is compiled on DVD at a later date, they will toss in some extras (making of stuff, etc.)

Would be very interesting seeing them going about recreating this stuff.

Mord, I also really liked SPR, despite the overwhelming hatred for it on this forum.

Citizen, I do not know who Ron Livingston is... but David Schwimmer is a perfect pick for Sobel! If Willem Dafoe was (much) younger, he would have been a nice pick for Winters (from the in book photos.)

Also get "Parachute Infantry" by David Webster (I think) who was also in E company 506th PIR. It's a very good read and gives an excellent point of view from a private in the company. Ambrose used these memiors for "Band of Brothers" and I think helped get them published, since they are both LSU press books.

Other books of similar scope:

Company Comander - I think we all know this one by MacDonald

Donald Bugett has three great books:

-Curahee (I have the republished version titled "Screaming Eagles")

-Seven Roads to hell (the most detailed personal account I have ever read)

-Road to Arnem (I think I have this title correct)

Pvt. Ryan - Couldn't agree more about Winters. Every single man in the company respected him, and the way he led from the front was inspiring. Some of the firefights he was in and survived are nearly unbelievable!

PAK40 - I had not realized that Websters book ever got published! I will look it up! SPOILER ALERT!!!....

(poor guy, surviving the war only to... apparently... get eaten by a shark later.)

I plan on buying Company Commander soon, along with Seven Roads to Hell, and Road to Arnhem. I have already read Curahee! which was previously my favorite WWII book till I read Band of Brothers.

I just started reading A Bridge To Far... so I'll be busy for some time...