Poll: Most cost effective unit.

Which unit do you think has the best cost to kill ratio? Arty, infantry, support, armor. you only get one vote, what do you think?

My vote:

German 20mm flak Regular. 33pts and I can knock out any vehicle I can see and some light armor, also effective against mortars. plus built in air defense.

Join in.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

The Hummel - simply devastating.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

The Marder II. Sure, it's armor is thinner than a cafeteria pork chop, but if you get 3 or 4 of them and put them all on the same ridge, you can shoot 3 times faster than the enemy. Besides, when you do lose one, no big deal, it only costs half as much as a sherm. Just keep away from those .50s.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

For support, I'd have to say M1917s. Great suppressive firepower, and enough ammo to keep firing the whole game.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

Without looking to see if the cost for an infantry battalion runs linear to the cost for an infantry company . . . I'd say the latter. An infantry company will give you your most bang for the buck. If not then it has to be its parent the battalion.

And it's easy to see why. Infantry can go everywhere but cliffs and so can maneuver in and fight from cover the most easily. Face it, the game was designed around the concept of man fighting over land. Armor's nice, but it's expensive stuff and fragile as can be; artillery is limited in its effectiveness for various reasons (timeliness, accuracy, LOS restrictions, supply); infantry's always on the job, resilient, flexible, your main combat asset and tool.

[This message has been edited by Tris (edited 11-10-2000).]

Hetzer in scenarios of no more than 30 turns (they run out of ammo pretty quick). Otherwise Brit 4.5 mortar (lots of ammo, heavy punch, fairly cheap).

------------------

Most people assume that the M in US vehicle designations means "Model". Thus, the Medium Tank M4 Sherman would be the "Model #4" Medium tank. This is incorrect. The M actually stands for "Mortality" and the number represents the life expectancy of the vehicle in minutes. - Bullethead

Hmmm.... One vote you say.

I think I'll take a Volksgrenadier SMG-platoon.

But it all comes down to what you are going to use them for, being boring I must say there is no such thing as one unit with the best cost kill ratio.

Interesting that most people say German has the most cost effective units (with the exception of the M8).

I do love the Volk SMG people as well for close range defensive engagements. As a matter of fact I usually go with a Stu III, Volks SMG, and 1 or 2 20mm in small QB's, that is ~225 pts of cost effective killing power.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

Guest Andrew Hedges

In most games, I'd cast a vote for the anti-tank team, whether zook, piat, or panzerschreck flavored. Not only do you get a great deal on the cost if you knock out a tank, but even without firing a shot you greatly restrict the enemy's freedom of movement because he is afraid of bazookamen.

It has occasionally occurred to me that my points could be better spent on bazookamen than on tanks, at least in some situations. That is, for about 500 or 600 points or so, you can buy a platoon of low-level tanks, such as Mark IVs or Shermans. For the same cost, you could buy more than 25 bazookamen.

Of course, they're not much good against other infantry, and if the tanks have the ability to stand off, they may have some protection. But still.

This is not directly related to this post, but I recently ran across the term "bazooka pants," which is apparently how US soldiers referred to anti-armor "skirts" on German vehicles. Would have been a great username.

SPW 234/3 with a Vet crew, for me (or PSW as listed). 84 pts.

Speedy multi-purpose killing machine and the perfect shortstop for any situation. It may not do anything really well, but it can kinda do almost anything really fast.

StuH right up there for many of the same reasons- substitute FP for speed.