Rifle grenades, Fausts....

Has anybody seen yet, the using of democharges, Rifle Grenades, Panzerfausts...?

I didn´t! I know that there had been a lot discussions in the past about using the fausts - does this mean, that the democharges and Riflegrenades are used in the same manner as the fausts - very short distance, clear LOs for a longer duration to the target? (Sorry, democharges are used only to a very short distance - I know).

Greetings to all

Jochen

Hi,

thanks for your quick reply.

Are you shure, that it was a faust? Wasn´t it a Schreck? (Schrecks are very dangerous and very well used - i think even in the GD over a longer distance). I ask you, cause i tried to see, what you are describing, but only saw Schrecks doing the job.

Please answer me again.

Jochen

Guest Blacksilver

++Spoiler??++

I used a satchel charge to take out a . . . um, German tank. wink.gif Also got a lower hull penetration with a rifle grenade from very close range, but it didn't do any appreciable damage.

[This message has been edited by Blacksilver (edited 05-15-2000).]

I've seen engineers use charges to clear minefields (haven't had an opportunity to test out other uses, yet).

Haven't let my tanks get close enough to get fausted. wink.gif

I haven't been looking for rifle grenade usage. Thanks for reminding me.

Guest Babra

One of my engineer sqauds threw a satchel charge into an adjacent minefield - in which one of my rifle squads was parked! The field was cleared and the rifle squad was unscathed, which seemed a little odd...

Guest -panzershreck-

i lost 2 shermans to one infantry squad with fausts, the Panther right next to them didnt even have time to rotate its turret before my sherms were kia

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

-

-

-

-

So far, the only time I've seen the flamethrower used was when I lauched a spoiler attack through the woods to disrupt the wing of the Ami offensive. The attack kind of worked, but among the Ami units was the FT, who hosed me with 3 little squirts. Very cool, at level 1 in deep woods. Routed a Green squad who never came back, and all but destroyed another plus the HQ.

Satchels worked great on both mines and a pillbox. No 'fausts yet. Seen some rifle grenades flying, but no special results (over regular grenade).

Satchel charges eat pillboxes for breakfast in Valley of Trouble. Sneak your engineer platoon and a covering infantry platoon in as close as you can get them, lay down a smokescreen with one of your 81mm mortars, then give your best rebel yell and run your boys forwards until they're out of the bunker's firing arc. From there just walk one of your engineer squads up to the side of the bunker and have it attack - FOOM. The best part is watching the Germans run out the back like rabbits! Just like Patton said, fixed fortifications are the greatest folly in the history of warfare.

Rifle grenades on the other hand don't work at all against pillboxes, though they might work against those wooden bunkers. They're probably useless against tanks as well. I think their best application would be against lightly armored stuff like halftracks. Pity we can't test that out yet.

Dan

I could test democharges and FT against the MG bunker. It rocks!

Demos are very good, but FT is cooler ;)

It makes a nice German BBQ. First my FT burnt the bunker, then he ate out a german inf squad (5 casualties). A pity he has so few ammo!

Weaver has it nailed.

My engineers in VOT have taken out several bunkers, both wooden and concrete, with satchel charges. They also cleared some mines that way. cool.gif The rifle squads will use grenades.

I have used Infantry squads to clean out the 75 mm AT bunker and to get that 150MM gun...like Weaver said, smoke, then advance right up...actually, the 150mm crew boogies when my rilfemen get close.

If you still have the old beta, you can attack the 88mm's the same way...with an old fashioned fire and maneuver assault.

Rifle grenades just extended the range of a small charge (like a hand grenade), but a few yeards...they were used in a variety of ways, but anti-tank would have been unusual...and unlikely to be useful, except to piss off mad.gif the tank crew by making a small explosinon outside.

Well I have taken out Shermans with fausts and also seen them fired at infantry even in the beta demo though I would agree it is more common now. You just have to put them in the right environment.

As the US player I never get that close smile.gif

------------------

"Nah, I'm totally straight-laced. I just play a pervert on the net." - Fionn

Sgt. Johnston rules!

After the Panther arrived and destroyed all of my tanks (quite a story in and of itself, but for another time), I ran a platoon into the forest on the hill by the road where the Panther was having a field day with my infantry in the Valley.

After seeing my 76 destroyed at a mere 40 meters away (because the genius driving it advanced up the hill, towards the Panther with his turret pointed BACKWARDS, firing at a MG42), I was feeling hopeless. So I ordered my squads in the woods to close assault...

In the first second of the next turn, I hear a terrified scream in German, followed by a sort of "thunk," as a small, black projectile flies from Sgt. Johnston's squad, right into the Panther's flank.

WHUMP! Upper Side Hull Penetration. Johnston had fired an RPG!

I then went on to completely control the map. Sgt. Johnston survived, and I dedicate this post to him.

To those who say the RPG can't do AT work, yer dead wrong.

spoiled spoilers spoiler ...

I had a US engineer squad with two men left throw a satchel-charge (seemed like that) at an MG team that was annihilating them at 12 meters.

I've also seen the nahrverteidigungswaffe in action. My panther knocked out a 60mm morter team hiding in a light building with it. Was kinda cool ...

Havn'tad any success with fausts or schcks since i can't control my men and they always blow my ambush and then are annihilated. Maybe someday ...

MK

On a related note, I was quite surprised at my armor's response to the appearance of an enemy AT team. The AT team was well out of effective range for its anti-tanks weapon, but all 3 tanks that had LoS on the AT team stopped firing on their targets and concentrated on the AT team until it was eliminated.

-Lurker

Hey folks,

yesterday i saw now the using of a democharge against German Infanterie. It was a tough fight on that German hill.

But, i´ve never seen the fausts in action ... hmmm, some people here said that the fausts are used - i believe them, and looking forward to see this action - but, does the AI use the fausts by his own??? Has anybody seen this yet?

BTW - Great game!

Thanks for all your postings!

Greetings from Germany... ähm, the German hill.

Jochen

Guest grunto

--Haven't let my tanks get close enough to get fausted. --

even with as much experience as i've had with these games (played tons of squad leader/coi/cod and then asl), i still have to fight the urge to let my tanks get ahead of my infantry, because i know that if i get a tank through the line, it will wreak havoc... usually though it's not worth the price... if my timing were better or i knew exactly when to try the tank rush... i've turned into a fairly methodical attacker but i like this 'talk' of schwerpunkt... definitely used 'schwerpunkts' in close combat... flanked the ai all the time..

schwerpunkts can be deadly on defense, if the attacker is attacking piecemeal and happens to run into the whole of your defending force with just a part of his attackers... the thing with defending against amis must be trying to dodge their artillery... i wonder if elastic defense is best.. or just take out their spotters? ...best set up dispersed, even in schwerpunkts.... that's the balance... have a schwerpunkt which isn't overly vulnerable to HE fire.

Andy