now CM has made me a movie critic!

I just watched the movie "The Battle of The Bulge" from 1966, and I have to tell you, it stunk. The german tanks are called tigers and panthers, but looked nothing like them. I don't even know what the heck the Americans were using, but it sure wasn't anything I knew. Also, (heres the best one) I spotted a german halftrack with an AMERICAN M2 machine gun on top of it! Lol! Almost every person that got shot in that movie threw his hands up in the air and fell down. There was one scene where it shows a view from the side of the turret on a "tiger". All of a sudden, three soldiers run IN FRONT of the "tiger" and are gunned down. What the heck were they doing running in between a damn tank?!

Guest barrold713

I had the same experience as I watched that movie last night. Previously I was aware that they "borrowed" surplus tanks and I enjoyed the movie, but now I was constantly aware of the numerous inaccuracies and implausible battle sequences in it.

I was particularily amused by the tank battle at the end where the French countryside in winter looked alot like a California desert in summer.

I think all the tanks representing the german forces were M-48 Pattons but I could be wrong. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

IIRC, The tankbattle at the end of the movie was shot in the hills of the Sierra Nevada, Spain. Not much ressemblance with the Belgian Ardennes (not French).

The movie depicted less or more the advance of KG Peiper. But in the movie he's called Col. Hessler and played by Robert Shaw.

Re tanks and HT...looks evident that even in the sixties you didn't find much Panthers or Tigers in a such a state that they could figure in a movie, I still have to see the first movie were they actually did.

In that regard, I only remember a french comedy with Louis de Funes and Bourville (La Grande Vadrouille) where they used actually a SPW 251/1 and a german reconaissance airplane "Fiessler Storch"

------------------

http://users.pandora.be/aneric/index8.htm#Projects

I'm pretty sure the American tanks used in "Battle of the Bulge" were Chaffees. McAuliffe is quite correct that it was hard to find the actual numbers of Tigers and Panthers needed to make the movie. "Kelly's Heroes" was made in Yugoslavia because at the time, the Shermans were still active duty tanks, and thay had enough of them. As for "A Bridge A Too Far", I'd love to know where they got the numbers of Shermans they used for 30 Corp. (As a side note, the destroyed tanks they bulldoze off the road bear no resemblance to Shermans. Guess they didn't want to destroy any of the rare tanks).

Waxx_IK wrote:

> I know that in the Battle of Midway, the Zeros were actually modified AT6-Texans

It's much more difficult to modify aircraft than tanks, considering you actually need them to be aerodynamic... =)

The Battle Of The Bulge was more like a James Bond film than a war film. At least these days, if they don't have a real vehicle, they can computer-generate it. Production values are much higher too.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

Guest barrold713

Tanks for the corrections McAuliffe, (bad pun intended) completely useless trivia that it is though. smile.gif

BTW I visited your site and liked it very much. I look forward to playing more of your scenarios.

BDH

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt. Toleran:

Does anyone know what kind of tanks they used in "Patton"? I was watching it the other day, and the American tanks didn't look like Shermans, and the German tanks looked more like some kind of Leopard tank or something like that. Grognards?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly (it's been a while), the German tanks are US M48s and the US tanks are US M47s or US M41s.

------------------

A66

1st MRB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ellros:

As for "A Bridge A Too Far", I'd love to know where they got the numbers of Shermans they used for 30 Corp. (As a side note, the destroyed tanks they bulldoze off the road bear no resemblance to Shermans. Guess they didn't want to destroy any of the rare tanks).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember watching the "Making of" a BTF in the late 70s on HBO. If I recall correctly, they actually made vehicles for that film. That and the huge cast must have pushed it way over budget.

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Guest barrold713

FYI I know there was a mod posted on MadMatt's site for German trucks to correct the way they look as much as possible. They look good to me.

------------------

- Ben Franklin

The Tiger in SAVING PRIVATE RYAN is actually a T34-85 chassis with a Tiger mock-up over it. If you check the scene where the US lads blow off the tread with a sticky bomb you will notice that there are no inter-leavered wheels as found on a real Tiger. I also remember reading that the Tigers in KELLY HEROES used the same set-up. I think somebody else made mention that there are no Tigers in the world that are in running order and I believe the French have the only running King Tiger in the world today.

I did recall seeing 2 Mark IV's for sale from a gentleman in the middle east-seems the Syrians got hold of a few in the 1960's somehow. I can't recall how much he was asking for them though. It does not matter my wife would not let me buy them anyhow.

I believe the Bovington Tank Museum is working on its Tiger 1 to make it fully operable.

I also believe they have a fully running Panther as well - for you Europeans to miss this place - well it's criminal.

Battle of The Bulge - M-47 (Walker Bulldog's) represented German Tanks whereas Chaffee's represented the Allies. Funny huh as in 1965 the French still had Panthers in their National Mothball Inventory (France had a armoured Brigade of Panthers post WW2 - I often wonder what happened to those tanks).

WW2 movies are actually better catered for now with several re-enactment groups sporting restored vehicles and equipment.

Lastly, yes it's true Mk IV's were used by Syria in the early wars against Israel where Israel sported some Super Sherman’s armed with (wait for it) German 75mm L70's from - you guessed it - x-French Panthers.

Craig

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Private Dietz:

In "A Bridge Too Far", the German tanks were Leopard 1 tanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeez, I knew the 1st Para's were up against it in Arnhem but Leopard tanks! That's really making it tough for them. biggrin.gif

Regards

Jim R.

------------------

Inspector: "Does your derg bite?"

Dog Owner: "No, my dog does not bite"

Inspector: "Good derggie (pat, pat...growl- snap!)... Yeeow! I thought you said your derg does not bite!"

Dog Owner: "That is not my dog".