Newbie's Thoughts & Questions

Hi everyone. I just got the game the other day and am enjoying it for the most part. I have a few questions and thoughts about the game that I'd like to share in hopes that someone might have the answer(s).

My first question is this: Is there any possible way to speed up the computation times that occur just before the action phase in a single player game? I was just playing the scenario "All or Nothing" and I did some calculating. With such a large scale operation, the computer's orders phase and the game's loading phase (the blue status bar in the main control console) took just under 3 minutes to load (per turn). Plus there's a minute for the action phase (thus equalling four minutes). With 75 turns, each equalling four minutes a piece (nevermind the time that I spend to actually issue orders) I would spend roughly 300 minutes (or 5 hours) playing just this one scenario. I'm running a pIII 500 w/128 megs of RAM. Is there any way to shorten the load times at all?

My second question is this: I'm a bit confused, has the 1.03 patch been released yet, and if so, where could I get it? It seems that the only version available at this website is 1.01. Also, what enhancements does/will it contain? I believe I'm playing version 1.02 and thereby downloading a downgrade patch would be detrimental to that whole gaming experience thing. smile.gif

Another question: Is there any way to name your unit commanders? For example, is there any way to change say... Unt Schmidt to Unt JimmyBob. <--- Just an example. smile.gif

This was a feature I always enjoyed in the Steel Panthers series.

Overall, I enjoy this game quite a bit. My only serious qualm is the load times which can be negated by playing smaller scenarios. However, I hate to have to limit myself if I don't have to. The 3D graphics are very well done. The interface is simple yet comprehensive. In general, very fun and realistic. I find myself consistently getting my a** kicked and enjoying every minute of it because of the 3D engine.

In the end, I have this to say: TO HELL WITH HEXES!!! smile.gif

Chuckd

[This message has been edited by Chuckd (edited 07-15-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuckd:

Another question: Is there any way to name your unit commanders? For example, is there any way to change say... Unt Schmidt to Unt JimmyBob. <--- Just an example. ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

you can do that in the editor. As for computation time, I don't think so, short of buying a faster machine.

------------------

Andreas

Guest KwazyDog

Chuck, my first suggestion would be to run a quick benchmark on your system just to be sure all is running fine and up to speed. On my system which is a P3-600 with 128mb (which isnt all that faster than yours) I just played 3-4 turns of the battle to do a test and the turns were taking well under 1 min to process. Keep in mind that that is a rather large battle, in general you shouldnt find the delay but that delay does seem a little large for your system specs.

1.03 is currently in testing. Not out yet though smile.gif

Glad your enjoying it Chuck, welcome to the club wink.gif

Guest ACTOR

Hey Chuckd...5 hours...you gotta luv it! I agree that this can take a long time, but honestly I have found that there is very little you can do short of upgrading hardware to speed things up.

Besides, it takes me more than (4) minutes per turn as I replay the darn thing several times to get a better feel for what is going on.

Have fun biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuckd:

With 75 turns, each equalling four minutes a piece (nevermind the time that I spend to actually issue orders) I would spend roughly 300 minutes (or 5 hours) playing just this one scenario. I'm running a pIII 500 w/128 megs of RAM. Is there any way to shorten the load times at all?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was a youngster we had to do it all with carboard chits on hex maps. A single turn could take 5 hours. And if you had pets they'd come and adjust the positions during the night for you. And we had to walk 10 miles through ice and snow to get to school, and it was uphill both ways...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisl:

When I was a youngster we had to do it all with carboard chits on hex maps. A single turn could take 5 hours. And if you had pets they'd come and adjust the positions during the night for you. And we had to walk 10 miles through ice and snow to get to school, and it was uphill both ways...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG!!!!!!!!! Lost my soda through my nose *God that hurts!* when I saw your post man. It instantly made me think of my gaming days and my pa'pa's tails of his younger years! LOL! biggrin.gif

Some of you should post warnings at the top of your post! smile.gif Caution.....Reading the following could short your life if you are currently drinking!

I would spend roughly 300 minutes (or 5 hours) playing just this one scenario.

5 hours! Listen, when your woman leaves you, your teeth stink, you don't know what time it is, you're thinking about moving the refrigerator because it's 8 feet from the computer, and there's a coffee can to pee in under your computer desk, THEN you can come cryin' about 5 hours a scenario.

Meanwhile you just sit there and plot, bucko.

(welcome aboard biggrin.gif)

When *I* were a lad, there were sixteen of us livin' in a shoe box in the gutter, and every mornin' I'd have to get oop 'alf hour before I went to bed, and lick the road clean with me tongue. An' me Dad'd come 'ome each night drunk, hit me over the 'ead wi' a beer bottle, cut me legs off and call me "stumpy" behind me back.

Aye, an ya tell that to the yung uns today, an they won't believe ya.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

5 hours! Listen, when your woman leaves you, your teeth stink, you don't know what time it is, you're thinking about moving the refrigerator because it's 8 feet from the computer, and there's a coffee can to pee in under your computer desk, THEN you can come cryin' about 5 hours a scenario.

(welcome aboard biggrin.gif)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MY GOD THAT IS FUNNY...I actually debated buying a house with everything on one floor or putting a small fridge in the computer room, just to save time between moves...

That was great Mark IV...thanks!!! smile.gif

CHUCKD,

There MUST be something amiss on your rig...I have a P2, 300 meg with 128 RAM (therefore significantly less powerful than yours) and I still get MOST blue lines in a minute or less...even on large fights I have never been more than approx two minutes.

Something I learned with flt sims is to be sure to have EVERYTHING turned off in the background...to that end I got a program called END-IT-ALL that you use just before you begin...thus far I have only used it a few times with CM, but it might help you...I was surprised at what was running in the background of my machine.

On Tuesday I am getting (HURRAH!) a new 900 meg 256 ram with a voodoo 5, so I expect even fewer problems... biggrin.gifwink.gifsmile.gif

Anyway...check behind the scenes, a 500 ought to be doing a better job...what video card have you???

BTW...as others have said...WELCOME to CM...

cool.gif

[This message has been edited by ARCHANGEL (edited 07-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ARCHANGEL (edited 07-15-2000).]

It does sound like there's something wrong with his machine. I've got a P3-700 and on the smaller scenarios, it takes a few seconds to perform the calculations. I haven't tried the larger scenarios yet, as my skills can't handle the number of units.

quit playing single player games, I like an opponent that talks back when they are winning or has to listen when they are losing. OK so I am usually the one listening. Anyways AI is great but against a real live thinking person that game is more fun anyways. And no long delays on load ups, just long delays on receiving the blasted files.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

(welcome aboard biggrin.gif)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh My God! A coffee can! Of course! What a fool I've been! That will make the computer room far more habitable! Perhaps I can even get rid of the matted and reeking straw I've scattered under my desk chair...

Er, may I bring up this most basic of concepts: Did you do a Full/Large install from the CD? If you didn't, then some of your downtime may be disk accessing. On the other hand, animal sacrifices have a way of speeding up game play, if they're handled tastefully and with reverence...

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

[This message has been edited by Seanachai (edited 07-16-2000).]

Coffee cans are a must. Having downstairs neighbors, I really cant be dumping my filth out the window every 5 seconds. It's best to store it up and wait for the opportune times. 5 hours sleep on a good day maybe *sheesh*

Thanks for all the input, guys (and the warm welcomes too! smile.gif ).

It is beginning to sound like my rig is the problem.

KwazyDog, how can I run a benchmark? I've never done it before, but I'm familiar with the concept.

ARCHANGEL, I will try shutting down all the junk running in the background as soon as I log off. There is quite a bit going on back there so it might very well be my problem. I'll let you know how it goes. smile.gif

Thanks again, guys!

Chuckd

We don't need CM coffee cups or Tee Shirts....What we need is CM Chamber Pots...

Oh, yeah the topic...well I have a P3/500. The larger files are a bit slower..usually no more than a minute or so, however. I'm a long time player of CM and wish to welcome you to the CM community..(us Sp'rs gotta stick together...LOL)

Guest Michael emrys

I kept kicking over the coffee can, so I went to the hospital and had a catheter bag installed. While I was there I had an IV put in for glucose too. Now I don't have to leave my monitor for anything, but the methadrine is starting to make me a little crazy. eek.gif

Michael

I was just playing the scenario "All or Nothing" and I did some calculating. With such a large scale operation, the computer's orders phase and the game's loading phase (the blue status bar in the main control console) took just under 3 minutes to load (per turn).

Sounds to me like the store took you for a sucker and sold you a 50 MHz computer eek.gif . Or maybe you are in software mode confused.gif .

Plus there's a minute for the action phase (thus equalling five minutes). With 75 turns, each equalling four minutes a piece (nevermind the time that I spend to actually issue orders) I would spend roughly 300 minutes (or 5 hours) playing just this one scenario.

Five hours rolleyes.gif . I have been playing this scenario for over en hours, and I am not finished yet redface.gif

If you take longer to plot your moves, the time the computer takes will seem shorter biggrin.gif

Henri

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I kept kicking over the coffee can, so I went to the hospital and had a catheter bag installed.Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My god, that's brilliant (I had been thinking about a funnel-and-garden hose contraption)! When did you find time to go to the hospital?

There's no alternative.....sell your parents into slavery, don't get married, definately DON'T have kids ,do a bank job....buy a PIII 1 gig, a **** load of memory . A geForce II 64 Mb graphics card......ooops I'm starting to drool now..