Newbie's Thoughts & Questions

My addiction is to frozen pizza, Hostess frosted donuts, and orange juice. Plus whatever carbonated, sugar-filled beverage is cheapest.

I didn't notice the rolling papers at first, but Carentan pointed it out in the chat room. Nice touch. smile.gif

One problem, not enough military books! C'mon, man, you have to have AT LEAST half a dozen strewn around.

I noticed only three books. From the looks of it - some book on the Civil War (American), The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War Two, and Hunnicut's Sherman book.

Jason

Welcome to the forum. CM is worth the time and effort to learn the game and update your computer with whatever it needs.

I just spent 3 weeks having my CPU replaced and installing a video card and it's worth it.

I'm running an AMD 6K 450MHz with a new TNT2 Riva, and my turn load is under 1 minute so something is slowing down your machine.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Well, I closed down all the crap running in the background and it helped a bit. But the load times are still running around 2:30. I ran the benchmark program you sent me, KwazyDog (thank you!) and got a score of 36, which is slightly lower than expected, but not alarmingly low... at least, I don't think it is. What do you think?

Something must be said, here, people. I don't mind a scenario taking five hours... as long as its game time. smile.gif It just irks me to wait for the computer to load for 3 minutes only to watch one minute of action. I for one love long, protracted scenarios that tax your brain (as well as your sleep schedule). Nothing is better than a good, solid fight that provides you with 5 hours of entertainment. So, I'm not complaining about the fact that it would take me 5 hours to play the scenario. I'm complaining about the fact that most of that time is load time. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. smile.gif

Take it easy.

Chuck

Guest KwazyDog

Chuck, that benchmark sounds find, not too great a difference from what it theoritically should be (different brand motherboards can make a difference of that amount).

Out of interest, is there a lot of disc access during the turn resolution Chuck? If not, I guess that is pretty much how its ment to be. Hang in there and see if the next battle you play seems to be taking unreasonable amounts of time Chuck. smile.gif

Guachi - that's "Harper's History of the Civil War" (a centennial reprint), Conway's "All The World's Fighting Ships", and of course Hunnicut's "Sherman".

You are quite right, there are at least a dozen more strewn around, but they're all over (and under) the chesterfield, where I do most of my reading. Ah, the good life. Think I'll have a beer... wink.gif

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

Five hours to complete a single scenerio? I've paid $45.00 for entire games that I didn't play for five hours...

Fortunately, CM isn't in that group. I probably got several hundred hours worth of entertainment from the demo.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuckd:

Nope, KwazyDog, there's virtually no disc access during loading. Oh well, I guess I'll just stick to my ultimately blissful medium and small scenarios. Thanks for all the assistance!

Chuckd<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck, I ahve a P3-333 with 64MB. Believe me, I feel your pain!

I always have a book with me when playing larger scenarios. Better yet, take up crochet, or maybe some nice macrame!

Your wife and/or girlfriend, assuming she has not already left you, might let you play more of you give her a nice sweater!

Jeff Heidman