Best book about war

A Dark and Bloody Ground is by Edward Miller.

Very good. Some other favorites:

Company commander

Closing with the Enemy

There's a War to be Won by Geoffrey Perrot.

Currahee! by Donald Burgett -just finished

it, very good. I'm not biased though.

Eisenhower's Lieutenants by Russell Weigley

Brute Force by John Ellis

Stalingrad by Antony Beevor

Brazen Chariots by Robert Crisp

Operation Drumbeat by Michael Gannon

Fly for Your Life by Larry Forrester

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Well first I have to agree that Keegan, Shelby Foote and Barbara Tuchman bring something very special to the topic of military history, even though Tuchman is not specifically a military historian. One of my favorite single battle accounts however, is Prange's Miracle at Midway, a real detailed and authoritative account of that pivotal battle, that reads as easily as a novel. And let's not forget Shirer's classic, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

"Russia at War" by Alexander Werth....."JG26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe" by Donald Caldwell....Also "The Encylopedia of Weapons of World War 2" ...pretty good encyclopedia except that it is missing some things that definitley should be in such a book, but other than that its a nice quick reference

Try:

18 Platoon - Sydney Jary(sp?)

Tank - Ken Tout

Both a good match for the CM time frame and scale.

Also:

The Sharp End - John Ellis (I believe this is called On The Front Lines in the US).

Firing Line - Richard Holmes (not sure of the US title for this one).

I have to second The Forgotten Soldier by Sajer. Very brutal and haunting.

Also agree with Seven Roads to Hell by Burkett. One of the best first person accounts I've read.

A Blood Dimmed Tide by Astor is a great account of the bulge. Filled with multiple first person stories.

I just bought Astors newest The Bloody Forest which covers Huertgen. Haven't had a chance to read it yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyingcursor:

"In War's Dark Shadows". About pre-wwI Russia with a great description of the Sino-Soviet war of 1905.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have and like that book, but I think you mean the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-5. One of the most interesting of the overlooked wars...

"The Boer War" someone referred to was probably Thomas Pakenham's (he was also present at the Russo-Japanese War, and specifically at the sinking of the Russian fleet at Tsushima, as an observer on the Japanese flagship).

Both Prange and Shirer were good reads, but both have axes to grind and both accept a lot of hearsay as fact.

Has anyone read anything by Byron Farwell? I finished Queen Victoria's Little Wars and thought it was fantastic. He's an excellent writer and finds a good mix of comedy and horror to illustrate the time.He describes many little known wars and actions. Makes me want to read his other books. My friends say Mr Kipling's Army is a classic but I can't find it anywhere.

If I had to have just one it would be Esposito's "West Point Atlas of American Wars"

His newly reprinted "A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars" is on my wish list at Amazon.com. I borrowed it and Chandler's "Campaigns of Napoleon" from a wargaming buddy once and loved both. I never should have returned them...

Old Persian Proverb that I learned from a not-so-old Iranian:

If you loan out a book, cut off your hand;

If you borrow a book and return it, cut off both hands.

I'm sure it is more poetic in Farsi.

------------------

USGrant

Choices for best book are numerous. Probably could not name "the best book", however here are some titles that would be good reading:

"The Fall of Fortresses" by Elmer Bendiner.

Navigator on B-17 crew. Talks about Schweinfurt-Regensburg Raids. Very personal and up close.

If you want to learn about how modern armies modeled themselves read:

"The Making of the Roman Army" by Lawrence Keppie

OR

"The Roman Soldier" by G.R. Watson. Things have not changed in 2000 years.

"On Strategy: A Critical Analysis of the Vietnam War" by Harry Summers is a real good book about why we lost that war.

------------------

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.

Shakespeare (Henry V)

Originally posted by flyingcursor:

Yes Company Commander is pretty good. I'm trying to find MacDonald's book on the Huertgen forest. Actually any book on that battle would be nice.

I have a copy of it. If you are intrested in it send me an email maybe we could arrange a trade.

------------------

Navare

"One death is a tragedy. One million deaths are statistics."

Iosef Stalin

As a guy whose apartment stuffed to the ceiling with books about war I have to say my favorite of all time is the Russian Front memoir "The Forgotton Soldier" by Guy Sajer. I found this book in my school library in sixth grade and checked it out so often the librarian finally gave it to me. 16 years later I still read it every 18 months or so. While most WWII memoirs are full of nostalgia and "war is glorious" B.S (I'm thinking of those bantam paperbacks with the illustrations), Sajer's book is so starkly brutal and human that you just know you're reading truth. The book is so compelling and harrowing that reading it is mental version of a 25 mile forced march. If you really want to get a sense of the absolute horror of the Russian war and it's effect on one man (and whet you're appitite for CM2) you must read this book.

Also "Goodbye Darkness," William Manchester's memoir of the Pacific War and "Band of Brothers" a great book by Stephen Ambrose which traces the career of a single company of WWII paratroopers from training through Normandy, Market garden and the Ardennes.

My favourite WW2 books so far are Wheels of Terror, Comrades of War, The Bloody Road to Death, O.G.P.U. Prison, and The Commissar, all by Sven Hassel.

------------------

"War is like the cinema. The best seats are at the back... the front is all flicker."

- Monte Cassino by Sven Hassel

I have to through my vote for The Civil War by Shelby Foote as well. Enough cannot be said about this man's impartiality, grasp of the subject and excellent writing skills.

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Ealing comedies? I've shot people for less.

-David Edelstein

For my two cents,

A Bridge Too Far - Cornelius Ryan

Citizen Soldier - Stephen Ambrose

Non-WWII titles.

All Quiet on the Western Front - Remarque

A Rumor of War - Phil Caputo

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien

Guest barrold713

I am going to submit "The Russo-German War 1941-1945", by Albert Seaton for your perusal. I am reading it again and it is whetting my appetite for CM2 (not that it took much).

I would also concur with Shelby Foote's 3-volume epic "The Civil War". I had a chance to ask Ken Burns about his relationship with Mr. Foote during the making of his acclaimed documentary and his praise for the contributions made was quite informative and entertaining. Shelby Foote is an American icon and treasure.

"The Forgotten Soldier" by Sajer was slightly beyond awesome. I read a friend's copy so I need to get it for myself.

Too many books, not enough time to read them all.

BDH

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin