Combat MIssion "Hit"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The only quaffable Asian beer<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must argue with you on this one. Thailand has an outstanding beer... Kloster. Also a German brewery, and I believe it is still run by Germans. To the best of my knowledge, it is only available in Thailand.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Must argue with you on this one. Thailand has an outstanding beer... Kloster. Also a German brewery, and I believe it is still run by Germans. To the best of my knowledge, it is only available in Thailand.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never been to Thailand, must ask my brother about this one, he works for Thai Airways and is down there all the time. With a name like that (Kloster is the German word for Monastery), it is likely that it is a German influenced beer at least. BTW, Mekong Whisky (based on rice, IIRC) is supposed to be quite good. Could never get myself to actually drink the stuff, too afraid I might go blind. Any opinions?

I actually quite like some Japanese beers (Asahi Dorai and Sapporo Burakku Raberu), but only with Japanese food. Brings back memories. Highly recommended Japanese restaurant in London is 'tententei' in 56 Brewer Street. Haven't had Sushi there, b/c I know I would not like it, but the ordinary Japanese food is great. Also a good way to spend the time waiting for CM (to bring this slightly back on topic).

Speaking of Sushi outside the Hokuriku prefectures in Japan, I have been to a lot of places in e.g. Vancouver, Toronto, London, Frankfurt etc.pp. They all came highly recommended, were frequented by Japanese businessmen (usually taken as a good sign), and they all were disappointing. Quite often when I meet Japanese people and tell them I lived in Ishikawa, they would make a comment about the Sushi there. It really has an excellent reputation in Japan.

Now the double-blind test (not) last night. The Oddbins own brand Islay is surprisingly drinkable, no comparison to Talisker or Laphroaig, but a very good price-taste ratio, methinks.

Scapa, afraid I have to agree with you Ethan. It tastes like any old lowland malt. Was it Steve or Charles who liked Dalwhinnie? You will like this one too. Quite mild, a bit fruity, drinkable albeit a tad boring. I have to have a word with my friend at home. But he also likes Japanese whisky, at least some of them (the horror, the horror!).

Ramble, pointless, spew forth, ramble...

------------------

Andreas

Mission-less in Milwaukee tonight. But I went to a nice restaurant and spied Glenmorangie and Scapa (never heard of the latter before this thread) on the shelf.

Well, the Glenmorangie was very nice, not exactly my cup of tea, but I'd have another any day. I just like a peatier, smokier bite. I know I tried it before but couldn't recall it.

Scapa disappointed me. Smooth, but easy to be smooth when you're flavorless. Something is missing there. Wouldn't do it again, but my horizons are broader for having tried it.

I did see a military museum/junkyard, not sure which, by the freeway on the way up from Chicago. Hard to miss an M4 parked along an expressway. I have insisted, to the dismay of my business traveling colleagues, that we stop there on the way back.

Anybody know this place? Worth the stop?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Never been to Thailand, must ask my brother about this one, he works for Thai Airways and is down there all the time. With a name like that (Kloster is the German word for Monastery), it is likely that it is a German influenced beer at least. BTW, Mekong Whisky (based on rice, IIRC) is supposed to be quite good. Could never get myself to actually drink the stuff, too afraid I might go blind. Any opinions?

Drank bucketsful of the stuff in 1970 when on R and R in Bangkok(cost 20 baht for a 40 oz bottle, something like 60 cents in real money), so I think it safe to say it is not in the "compare to single malt scotch" category

As a post script, I didn't go blind but I do forget how to spell my name sometimes

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mk IV: Scapa is strictly for tourists, IMO. It's made in Orkney, which isn't even really Scottish, as it was settled by a bunch of Vikings in the dim and distant. It lacks the necessary geological conditions to make great whiskey. They just import malt from a central malting depot and distill it on the island. Perfectly drinkable, but just as you said.

If you can get the 18 year old Glenmorangie, it's well worth it: much more going on there than in the younger bottlings. I used to attend a poker game where the 18 year old was a frequent tipple. Sure, I lost money, but who cares.

Having consigned my last bottle of the Macallan to its inevitable fate, I opened up my bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin while watching "In Harm's Way" last night. A so-so movie, even despite the cast (The Duke, Kirk Douglas, George Kennedy, Patricia Neal, etc. etc.), but what a great glass of malt. Mmm, peaty.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrapGame:

Wow, what a great thread. I am relatively new to the world of drinking Scotch, so this is a fantastic learning experience. The old lady is gonna be Pissed when she sees the cost of this trip to the liquor store.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't let the plebe convince you that just because Johnny Walker Black Label is advertised in airline magazines, it is the best scotch; no sir, you gotta go fer Johnny Walker GOLD Label, which is a lot better, or if you own an oil well or two, you might even want to go for the BLUE Label! (Actually I only had a bottle of Gold Label becauase my sons gave it to me for Christmas. But at the Glasgow airport last month, a lady had me taste a new kind of Glen Fiddich (she said), and it was so good that I bought a bottle. I keep such scotch deep in my liquor cabinet and feed ordinary guests scotch with the name of a horse in it that my mother-in-law used to give me for Christmas every year.

Henri

I'm kind surprised that no one has mentioned Jack Daniels. Mind you, I'm not of age yet (and you've made me so thirsty! biggrin.gif) but my understanding has always been that Jack is of at least acceptable quality. You guys are obviously knowledgeable - what do you think?

Also, has anyone tried any "Brennivin" vodka (actually I think it's akavit, but vodka will do...)? It's an Icelandic drink that has an almost anise- or licorice-flavored hint to it. I tried a (small) amount of it when traveling with the family. The waiter brought it to the table after dinner and it was literally frozen into a block of ice! I definitely enjoyed it, though. Cleared the sinuses if nothing else biggrin.gif.

------------------

KMHPaladin

KHarkins@voicenet.com

"We have the enemy surrounded. We are dug in and

have overwhelming numbers. But enemy airpower is

mauling us badly. We will have to withdraw."

-- Japanese infantry commander, SITREP, Burma

Re: Jack Daniels- not bad to start out on, as far as Bourbons go and thats what I did. You could also try Wild Turkey if you like phenolics, but for a step up in quality give Bookers a shot (126 proof). It's loaded with vanilla and sherryish overtones. Phenomenal aroma. Maker's Mark is also quite good.

I never met a bourbon I didn't like actually. And if I'm in the moood for a cocktail, I go for a JD and coke.

The single barrel bourbons are dfinately picking up in popularity (and price unfortunately).

5m

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KMHPaladin:

Also, has anyone tried any "Brennivin" vodka (actually I think it's akavit, but vodka will do...)? It's an Icelandic drink that has an almost anise- or licorice-flavored hint to it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aquavit - has nothing to do with Wodka. It is based on Anis seed, and the name means 'Water of Life', incidentally Whiskey (Uisque Beacha - sp?) means the same. You get a lot of booze based on this all over Europe, Aquavit being the Northern European variety. It is served in a frozen glass and very nice, unless you decide to get drunk on it. Wodka is based on potatoes (cheap and nasty) or grain (more expensive and less nasty). Apparently the traditional Danish Christmas diner is based on salted Herring and Aquavit. Makes me glad not to be a Dane...

If you think that Jack Daniels is quality, I assume that you consider McDonalds to be haute cuisine...

Please note that all smilies on this iBook have joined Euan Blair in a gutter on Leicester Square.

------------------

Andreas

Uh Germanboy - I made it very clear that I was merely acting under an understanding about Jack Daniels. I'm not even of age to drink. Lighten up, okay?

On the subject of Scandinavian traditions, apparently Icelanders will make a meal of Brennivin and fermented shark. I'm guessing it's an acquired taste wink.gif...

------------------

KMHPaladin

KHarkins@voicenet.com

If anyone is still reading this thread for single malt ideas... I have over 30 different types and have found that the one I truly admire is Glenfarclas 105. It evaporates in your mouth and seems to coat evry part of your tongue, a realy extraordiary experience.

t

Guest Germanboy

Uh Germanboy - I made it very clear that I was merely acting under an understanding about Jack Daniels. I'm not even of age to drink. Lighten up, okay?

On the subject of Scandinavian traditions, apparently Icelanders will make a meal of Brennivin and fermented shark. I'm guessing it's an acquired taste wink.gif...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KMH Paladin - I was only joking, but I don't use smilies.

Fermented shark - brrrrr.... Then again, I guess it depends on the amount of Brennivin you put into the meal.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikeadams:

If anyone is still reading this thread for single malt ideas... I have over 30 different types and have found that the one I truly admire is Glenfarclas 105. It evaporates in your mouth and seems to coat evry part of your tongue, a realy extraordiary experience.

t <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glenfarclas 105 is nice. Aberlour has a strong variety (57%, don't know in proof) that I considered quite drinkable many a years back, but I have not had it in a while. It is funny that the high-alcohol varieties seem to be very smooth. You should expect otherwise.

------------------

Andreas

Germanboy - my apologies. I wasn't sure whether you were serious, I guess in retrospect the comment about the PM's son should have tipped me off biggrin.gif.

I think I could deal with the shark if I consumed copious quantities of alcohol. Something like "take a bite, down a shot, repeat as necessary." Someday...

------------------

KMHPaladin

KHarkins@voicenet.com

Guest Germanboy

Germanboy - my apologies. I wasn't sure whether you were serious, I guess in retrospect the comment about the PM's son should have tipped me off biggrin.gif.

I think I could deal with the shark if I consumed copious quantities of alcohol. Something like "take a bite, down a shot, repeat as necessary." Someday...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KMH - no problem. The strategy for eating anything that is or has fermented is to have large quantities of alcohol nearby. Unless you are used to it. Got me through many a meal in Japan. After a number of cups of Sake and glasses of beer the attitude changed from: 'I will never eat this, it looks like it died a year ago' to 'Bring it on! I love those sea-slugs!' The next day was usually best forgotten.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikeadams:

I have over 30 different types ...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And your address is???

Have you tried Glendronach? I got a bottle in the duty free on my way back from London; it looked like an interesting alternative to the Macallan. I also picked up a bottle of single cask vintage 1979 Glenmorangie, but it was a gift for a neighbor to whom I owed a big big favor.

Haven't tried Glenfarclas 105 -- the regular is nice, a step up from Glenfiddich and Glenlivet anyway. I was once at a Highland Games in the shadow of Ben Nevis (no, really, I was) and the local Glenlivet rep. slipped me a jigger of the cask strength Glenlivet -- a whole different world, laddy.

KMH -- learn to drink the good stuff first, and you'll be less likely to go and puke your guts out on cheap stuff when you get legal. Seen it happen...

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Germanboy: re harshness of high proof alcohols. I agree with you, although until my palate became semi educated, I really could *NOT* understand why Talisker was recommended to me. I actually gave away my first bottle, considering it rather undrinkable.

1/2 a year later and many scotches since I found it rather mellow. I guess I'm hooked on the Islays now.

Have you tried the 25 yr old Macallans by chance, and is it any good? I've been staring at a bottle for the better part of a month, and am trying to decide if I should spend the $.

5m

Guest Germanboy

Fifty Micro - I bet you still kick yourself for giving that one away.

As for the 25yrs Macallan, I can not bring myself to shell out that kind of money for Whisky. I know that if it is really good, it will be gone really fast, which means that I will be really poor and really an alcoholic...

If someone wants to stand me one of those, I would not say no though... I'll reciprocate by telling you more about environmental regulation in the UK than you ever wanted to know...

------------------

Andreas

Once again reviving one of the best threads ever, I need to mention that tonight I had a Talisker, and then (clearing the palate properly with a water and a ciggie), for the first time, the 18-year-old Macallan.

Wow. I was missing something. Smokey as a Sherman by turn 8, and smooth as a Panther G with hull-down. I recommend it without qualification, and a nice "bargain" stop on your way to the 25. A real find.