MadMatt & CMHQ

This is getting too sweet and loving. Wait a minute, could it be that, suffering from post-surgical psychosis and not satisfied with the scores of "We Love Madmatt" postings, Madmatt actually created the persona of Pham just to fish for compliments?!?!?!

The dastardly fiend!

How could you Madmatt, after all we'd done for you. Didn't we sing your praises. Did we not name our children after you. To go out and do such a thing, just so you could get another topic full of your laurels, why, it makes me ashamed to be alive.

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Ealing comedies? I've shot people for less.

-David Edelstein

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn I am ashamed to be alive too but that is a great tactic Matt. I'm gonna use it on chicks. Yeah I can see it now. Insult ladies and then introduce them to my twin brother ......me. No wait that isn't right....Damn another plan done away by reality. smile.gif

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

So basicly the crux of it is that websites useing banners etc, to generate income,have no right to do this as the site is useing other ppls creations to make a profit.

As Matt has everything provided for him he should not be seeking compensation but thanking TGN for provideing him the bandwidth & thanking the mod & scenerio authors for their contributions, and thanking BTS for letting him advertise CMHQ here as well as shareing any said compensation with each individual that uploaded any scen or mod to the site. Least thats what I take from reading Pham & Bates posts.

I find this a strange position to take here as Matt is doing is nothing new in attempting to get compensation for his & Fionn's hard work on the site, as every major game site that offers gameing sections, Ie, SP, CM, CC, etc, with downloads submitted by users of the paticular game is guilty of the same.

As are most private sites as they all use banners to generate income off their sites visitors, usualy with the given reason for the advertising, being to pay their provider instead of outa their own pockets, which still equates to makeing money off what the site offers Ie, scenerios, add ons etc no matter how you try to justify it.

My sugestion is if you have a problem with this common practice, is to a) make your own commercial free site, & don't upload your works anywhere but your site, & then make compensation to anyone who uploads anything to said site. B) start copyrighting your creations & offer them for upload at retail price.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

Notice: Spelling mistakes left in for people who need to correct others to make their life fulfilled.

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 09-18-2000).]

Copyright issues are very complex, but if you send Matt something without a residuals contract then in all probability you own copyright but Matt is within his bounds to post it and make a secondary profit (iEN being a bunch of skunks with a terrible banner posting system I would be surprised if even they make a profit). The only thing Matt cannot do is repackage for profit past the understood contract of putting it on his site, so producing a CDROM and selling it he would owe residuals or compensation to the people who contributed no matter how much work he does.

If Matt comes to my site, down loads a creation of mine and adds it to his site and makes a profit, then it is totally different, he has essentially stolen from me and I can recover damages, but he does not do that at all.

Keep up the good work Matt. iEn (if that is who the provider is) are lousy titmice.

Steve Jackson

Guest SS Peiper

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dittohead:

I love you , you love me , were a happy family, c'mon everybody sing with me. biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree c'mon guys everybody get happy smile.gif

I love you, you love me, smile.gif

Madmatt I hope you work it out with TGN and get what you deserve, as for the rest of you guys. Cant we just all get along? And play nice.

SS Peiper

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

If Maximus and Tiger want top billing, they can open their own web sites.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha! I plan on it when I finish my Web Design class this fall. Hell, making my CM website is my mid-term project!

------------------

All that sleeps, awakens...

All that awakens, hungers...

All that hungers, feeds...

Alright, here goes...

First, I believe in what I said, and I do appreciate those who at least felt I had a right to my opinion.

Second, in the future any post I begin with "I know this will piss people off" will triger a post-hypnotic suggestion I've imbeded in my subconsious that will make me hit the back button on my browser and wait one full day until posting it(to consider if I really, really want to open up the issue I'm grousing about).

Third, those of you who posted that I really didn't have any great interest in the issue are pretty much right. While I've made some scenarios, I've never shared them and just play my stepson with them, so I do really have no interest. It was just one of those things that pops into my head and I run with under less than ideal circumstances(see fourth for a description on circumstances).

Fourth,

Got bad news recently about health issue and have been taking doses of Vicodine every 4 to six hours, which tends to numb me to the response I get from posts that I should probably back off from and also leads to my posting things that "they won't get too mad at this". It was not a troll, though. Reading back through it I still agree with most of what I said, but there was little point in saying it.

Fifth, I take some exception to Steve's response. Technically, he's the grown-up here, and shouldn't be resorting to comments like "bitch session" and "Duh". I say this not because my feeling were hurt(you couldn't hurt them right now if you shot them), but it really detracts from the professional image of BTS(whom I greatly respect, BTW). So, I do apologize for dragging that out of him by pissing him off so much.

Last, I apologize to Matt, as this whole thing isn't my business anyway. If you do or don't make money isn't my concern. I'm not the IRS. I do visit your site, and do download the mods and scenarios. For the record, I'm not currently using your modpack, as I prefer the one by (Tom, I think) that has more muted tones. Up until then I used yours.

This whole thing was a royal cluster**** on my part, as it really detracts from the general sense of community here. I appreciate those of you who emailed me in support, and give loads of thanks for those of you who gave me your most tender threats and accusations.

I personally love CM and then subjected you to drug addled rants of someone who has been in a very bad mood for the past couple of weeks.

Oh, and since I think this was brought up here(I know I got an email about it that was politely critical of my posts), I have been here since about september of last year, but lost my first account (Pham) access when I tried to post here during the server crash at the time of the gold demo release. If you read through my old posts on both accounts (pham and pham911), you will see that, while I was occasionally a smart-ass, I wasn't an asshole until very, very recently.

I won't post to this thread anymore, and if I hear the word from here, I won't post to CM's forums anymore.

And, yeah, I'm still taking narcotics. And, yeah, it's legal...

I think the "mod" makers should not submit their work to madmatt as he will profit off of their work, while they get nothing

it would be like battlefront getting 100% money from combat mission while bigtime software gets nothing, does this concept register?

also those of you who praise madmatt let me say this, he is not a very nice person at all

I was in his chatroom and he decided to have fun with me and kick me from the channel

why? no reason at all, I had done nothing to prompt the action

MadBot: now THAT was funny

swamp: what happened?

McAuliffe: hey...he's awake

MadBot: I made a humerous example outa you

MadBot: swamp was the first boot-o-the-day

McAuliffe: bad mood Mad ?

*** MadBot changes topic to 'Combat Mission and the fact that I have full control over your pathetic lives while you are here?'

there are hundreds of free chat servers out their where we one could create their own chatroom, it's not worth the abuse for me to use his

this guy deserves no praise, he's a parasite

thanks Pham911

Matt,

I don't know you buddy, but I enjoy everything you do on that site. Your smart-ass quips are wonderful. I bust my ass 16 hours a day, and when I come home, I go to your site first, and download all kinds of cool stuff. I don't think I'd be coming back every day without ya. Therefore, I hope you work things out..but don't be a slave and work for free.

Now, speaking as a business lawyer (which I am), you got snookered. Tell these guys to go piss up a rope and get your own site..I'd be there in a New York minute.

Best regards and keep kicking ass..

Frank

Pham911 said:

Fourth,

Got bad news recently about health issue and have been taking doses of Vicodine every 4 to six hours

Actually they got me on that too after my surgery this morning. I just thought that was sort of funny.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 09-18-2000).]

Can I make a few observations/comments (from experience, I'm involved with a Government web site)!

(1) There is a lot of time required in maintaining a web site (if not in maintenance and administration, then thinking on how to better display and organise content, ie future development). If Matt's time is recognised through payment, much more the better!

(2) There is no indication anywhere on Matt's site that contributors will be paid for any published material. So, anyone who chooses to contribute or has contributed should recognise this!

(3) IMHO, I think most contributors provide content through love of the game and for the accolades, not for the money! - imagine if Wild Bill charged for d/l of his scenarios eek.gif

Thus as far as I'm concerned, If there is agreement between two parties that payment will be rendered for services, then payment should be made.

If there is no such agreement (eg. Matt and Site Contributors) then payment should not be expected.

Regardless, lets put this behind us, it's time for a GROUP HUG!!!!

Mace

[This message has been edited by Mace (edited 09-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mace (edited 09-18-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Pham,

Thanks for your latest post. I too remember the "old Pham" and was a bit surprised when I saw a downturn in the attitude. At first I thought I imagined the difference (seriously!), but now you and others have reminded me that you were.

Whatever medical situation you are going through that requires you to be as doped up as you are, I honestly how you recover soon. Pain is one of the few things in life that has no real upside (unless you are REALLY odd biggrin.gif) except to tell your body to get a going with the healing stuff.

Based on your last post I've wiped clean the "Pham is a pain in my butt" entry in my mind. I kindly ask others to back off Pham and give him another chance. It would be a decent thing to do smile.gif

Steve

I just want to add that madmatt gets real pissed at guys who post "his" mods on their websites

he "hunts" them down and threatens them(with a lawyer?)

all madmatt does is zip up others work and uploads it to a free ftp service, which is great

but do "mod" makers really want their work to be exclusive to his site?

I just thought this was _odd_ as well as all the madmatt "praisers"

Steve, In an email from Fionn he told me a good thing about the pain I am having from my surgery. "Pain is good. It tells you that your nerves haven't been cut by the

surgeon. wink.gif ( Always a silver lining PLUS you need to be alive to feel pain.

Being alive is good although it does mean you get beaten in PBEMs by me

wink.gif )"

By the way, is it OK to quote Fionn even if he has been banned?

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

yeah, I'm not really bothered by it as I don't make "mods" for CM as I do 3d models and environments which you can't do with CM, but if I did some work for a game I would not give it to madmatt, as he is gonna claim it as his own and not let anyone post your work on their websites

would I mind if he made money for posting my work? no. If he has the nerve to do it let him.

would I mind if he made money from it and claimed ownership of it? hell yeah!

swamp,

While I assumed your first post was some sort of misunderstanding it now appears obvious that you have some serious issues with me that certainly don't belong here. Just because you have the ability to lurk on my chat system without being seen does not give you any right to say what you have.

I fail to see what you trying to accomplish (other than pissing me off) by your recent postings and I would ask that you please stop now.

I would think that the various mod authors that submit their work are quite capable of deciding for themselves wheter or not they should post to my site.

If this how you react to one playful boot (which kept you off for all of 5 seconds) from my chat server than perhaps it's time to do a little review of what is and is not important in your life.

Thanks again for the slander, outright lies and vitriolling dragging my name and character around.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 09-18-2000).]

Guest barrold713

My comments about logic stand and the opinion commentary at the end are maintained although a certain leeway is given for the effects of the narcotics.

It simply appears that a basic misunderstanding of the costs and effort involved with maintaining and adding interest and value to Matt's and nearly every other website.

To use the term parasite to describe the labor of love that these site represent is about the most grotesque slander I have seen here and an apology is very much in order.

If I were to create a mod with the intention of having it posted on a site, I am doing it for the creative challenge and the satisfaction of the recognition that having it put on the "Major League" of CM sites. I certainly would not even think of compensation unless I was contracted to perform the work. The only exception to that would be if my work was re-sold without my permission as in a charge for the download, although if it were stated that all files uploaded become the property of the site owner, I don't believe I would even have a case to complain.

This certainly is not happening at Matt's or any of the other cool sites I have been on. The only way that Matt gets money is through the contract that he has signed for the placement of advertising. This is right, it is legal, it is moral and ethical beyond reproach. If someone doesn't like it, don't use anything that did not arrive with the CD and don't visit the websites.

Nobody is entitled to any mod, scenario, or any other value added product generated by any of the talented people found in here and everyone should be grateful that these enhancements exist at all. But those who have smeared Matt's name act as if he has hacked some poor urchins homemade computer (powered by hamsters on treadmills since they can't afford electricity) stolen the mod's they have been hoping to sell to pay for their sick mother's last hope operation, and then as a cyber-robber baron, sell these files at exhorbitant prices under his own name.

My own theory is that when Matt gets his due contractual compensation, the dollars per hour of work is going to come out to be less than the minimum wage.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Matt, if in TGN's view you are not "under contract", you are free to take you skills elsewhere. It appears you have entered into a valid contract with TGN. I don't see any relevance to TGN's parent company, although I haven't read your contract. Your site is the best out there, and I can see how much hard work you put into it. Maybe it is time for you to play hardball if you feel you are being taken advantage of and host a site elsewhere.

Larry