A tank identification quiz for the experts

Here are pictures of four tanks. The question is, can you identify them? I suppose that most of you can name the countries but it'll take a true expert to identify all models. (Hopefully the urls will come through intact).

Let's start with an easy (and relatively common) tank:

Tank 1:

tank1.gif

The second picture is a very rare one, as far as I know there exists only three pictures of this model (all taken from this specimen). Note that even most printed sources (at least, most of those that I've seen) get this tank wrong. For extra credit name the place and date. Also, you could try to identify the tank on the left behind the standing soldier.

Tank 2:

tank2.gif

The next one is a familiar model, but this particular specimen is in quite poor condition. For extra credit, guess what destroyed it.

Tank 3

tank3.gif

The final tank is probably the most difficult one as it didn't see any combat.

Tank 4

tank4.gif

- Tommi

Don't have the slightest clue. Although, I would guess they are all Soviet designs.

#1 looks like a early T34 of sorts? A BT-5?

#2 does that thing have 2 turrets ??

#3 uhhhhhh?? The upside down tank?

#4 I give up.

The Stoner of the Less-Well Versed Tribe

1- German chassis with sloped armor? Don't know this one. maybe an early Mk II?

2- Soviet T-35. Finland '41.

3- Soviet T-34. Looks like it went through a temporal anomaly and got caught in the Tunguska Blast.

4- Soviet T-60 or T-70? But I think those saw combat.... bad guessing here.

-dale

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TZEENCH:

Let me Change that first answer

A: T-34 -1941 version<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably. It's a low velocity gun, so it wouldn't have been a late T-34.

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton 1920

There have been a few close answers but not any correct ones, yet.

The closest is:

2) T-35, Finland '39/'40

Yes, many sources claim that the tank in the picture is T-35/A but in fact, it is not. The tank is based on T-35 chassis, but if you look more carefully you see that the main turret is is the middle of the tank over 4th to 6th roadwheels while T-35's turret is over 3th--5th roadwheels.

You are correct about the time frame, though. The picture is taken some time between 19--21 December 1939 at Summa.

- Tommi

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Hi everyone.

I will now try to identify these tanks, wich I belive is all Russian made.

1. T-50 Russian tank

2. Damn, that one is though!!

3. Has to be a KV-2

4. Resembles a BT-7, but I dont know about this one.

I just got an email from Fionn and he got 3 out of 4. (Initially he got the first one wrong but he corrected it in a later email). I'd guess that he has seen the picture #2 before since he even got the unit right.

The only one that he didn't know was the #3, but he had a pretty good guess for that.

I'd say that it was a pretty impressive result.

- Tommi

This far correct answers have been:

Heinz's

1. T-50 Russian tank

3. Has to be a KV-2

and EScurlock's

Tank 3 has got to be a KV-II

The picture of KV-II shows what the 6th German Panzer Division should have done to the legendary KV-II that blocked its communication routes for a couple of days.

The tank was destroyed by sneaking a little over 60kg explosives under it in the cover of night. The explosion detonated the ammo supply of the tank.

- Tommi

Image 1: modified KV-1 chassis ?

Image 2: a modified Brit. Valentine

Lend-Lease to Russia 1942?

Image 3: russian KV-2 152mm Howitzer,

blown up by own crew?

Image 4: a russian BT-7?

Guest Babra

I'm stumped on Image 4. The turret is without question the same as on the T-26, but the chassis is quite different.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

Here are pictures of four tanks. The question is, can you identify them? I suppose that most of you can name the countries but it'll take a true expert to identify all models. (Hopefully the urls will come through intact).

Let's start with an easy (and relatively common) tank:

Tank 1:

tank1.gif

The second picture is a very rare one, as far as I know there exists only three pictures of this model (all taken from this specimen). Note that even most printed sources (at least, most of those that I've seen) get this tank wrong. For extra credit name the place and date. Also, you could try to identify the tank on the left behind the standing soldier.

Tank 2:

tank2.gif

The next one is a familiar model, but this particular specimen is in quite poor condition. For extra credit, guess what destroyed it.

Tank 3

tank3.gif

The final tank is probably the most difficult one as it didn't see any combat.

Tank 4

tank4.gif

- Tommi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tommi,

I'm clueless on the last one for now (will do more digging), but the first three are Soviet

1. T-50

2. T-100

3. KV-II (thoroughly destroyed)

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S. Von Lucke posted the Tsar Tank.

P.P.S. After much digging, I believe Tank 4 is a British Cruiser Mk V Covenanter.

[This message has been edited by John Kettler (edited 05-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by John Kettler (edited 05-25-2000).]