A tank identification quiz for the experts

The three first tanks have been correctly identified at least by somebody on this thread. The answers are

1) T-50. This tank was captured in late Summer 1941 by Finns and it has Finnish markings painted on it. Note that Finnish swastika is different from German one and it was used in 1919-1945.

2) SMK. Soviets field-tested three heavy tanks in mid December 1939 at Summa against the Mannerheim Line. The two other tanks were T-100 and KV-I. (T-100 and SMK were almost identical designs). The SMK and a couple of T-28s broke through Finnish lines but they were stopped. There are conflicting accounts on the fate of SMK but it probably hit an AT-mine and was immobilized. Finns tried to evacuate it but it was too heavy to pull. Later, during the February major offensive Soviets tested a couple of new models, including SU-14Br2 and SU-100U assault guns (first having a 152 mm howitzer and the other 130mm gun). It seems that KV-II tanks were actually not tested in combat, even though many sources claim so.

3) KV-II, and I already wrote above the fate of this tank.

4) T-25. This was a hybrid design that added BT-7s transmission system to a T-26. It was designed in 1939 and it seems that only one prototype was build.

- Tommi

I have to know, what the hell is that thing?

I guess you mean the Tsar's Tank. Russian Captain Lebedenko started in 1915 a project to build an armored combat vehicle for Tsar's army. The thing weighted 40 tons and the wheels were 10 meters high. It was steered with the back wheel. The thing was powered with two German 200hp Maybach motors that were captured from a downed Zeppelin. According to plans the thing would have had 2 guns and numerous MGs.

The tank was built in 1917 and it was tested on proving grounds in August. Its speed was 20 km/h but it was extremely unreliable and after tests the project was cancelled. The tank was scrapped in 1923.

- Tommi

The armor ID quiz was tough. Considering I had only one bad reference image (Milsom, RUSSIAN TANKS 1917-1970) each of the SMK and nearly identical T-100, and since they were both frontal aspect photos, I don't feel too upset over missing that one. I must, however, say that I'm baffled by the T-25. Not only is it not in Milsom, which is a standard reference on Russian tanks, but I couldn't even find a mention of it at the generally awesome Russian Military Zone (www.history.enjoy.ru) either.

So, tss, where did you learn about this previously unknown to most of us experimental tank? My best references had zero on it.

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S. This quiz is a cakewalk compared to the murderous one Valera Potapov has up right now at the Russian Military Zone. Might even give Fionn a migraine!

P.P.S. That thing babra posted is a T-26 tank glider, but I don't know the actual aircraft designation. The idea was to tow the glider to the landing zone, let it glide to a landing, then detach the wings and tail assembly. Presto! Armor support for the parachute troops.

[This message has been edited by John Kettler (edited 05-26-2000).]

Well, I went with T-46 because:

a. It looks like one (T-26 with redesigned suspension).

b. A couple of platoons saw service against the Finns --- like the three other tanks pictured.

[This message has been edited by von Lucke (edited 05-26-2000).]

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kettler:

That thing babra posted is a T-26 tank glider, but I don't know the actual aircraft designation. The idea was to tow the glider to the landing zone, let it glide to a landing, then detach the wings and tail assembly. Presto! Armor support for the parachute troops.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have it as the KT (Kryl'ya Tanka - Tanks Wings) based on the T-60. It test flew in Autumn 1942. Due to its poor aerodynamic shape, the engines of the TB-3 Bomber towing it overheated and the tank had to be cut loose. It did however make a successful landing. Coolness incarnate cool.gif

Found it and the associated info at the Russian Military Zone.

PS: Fionn informs me that image 4 is NOT the T-25...

So, tss, where did you learn about this previously unknown to most of us experimental tank? My best references had zero on it.

My source was Pekka Kantakoski's "Punaiset panssarit" (literally: "Red Armour"). It's a 500-page hard-cover tome that contains just about everything about Soviet tanks from 1915 to 1950, technical details and doctrinal use. The book is not perfect, though, since Kantakoski is a soldier by profession, not a historian, and I find that he relies a bit too much on Western sources for the combat history parts.

P.S. This quiz is a cakewalk compared to the murderous one Valera Potapov has up right now at the Russian Military Zone. Might even give Fionn a migraine!

Just went to see it. Yup, it's pretty tough. I'm not certain about the tanks, the first one seems to be some KV variant (probably KV-1S, since it is shorter than a normal KV) and the last looks a lot like a JS, but it has one road wheel too many.

I don't have any clear idea what the gun is, but if I had to guess I'd say that it was an early recoilless gun as its muzzle is similar to the 76 mm recoilles gun that was captured at Suomussalmi. My artillery books are at home and I don't remember its designation or caliber. (At the time Soviets also designed a 300 mm recoilless howitzer. I'd put that gun somewhere along Tsar's Tank as a practical weapon. Just about only worse idea that they had was a recoilless AA-gun).

- Tommi