Best War Movies of All Time

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zulu (with Michael Caine at Rorke's Drift)

Full Metal Jacket

All Quiet on the Western Front (the remake with John Boy from the Waltons and the original)

The first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan

Thin Red Line

Dr. Strangelove

TV series . . . Piece of Cake, about British pilots during the Blitz, was fantastic.

Hey Iron Duke;

It appears we were in the same Battalion during the gulf war.

2/67 AR.....LTC Merrit....CSM...ummm uhhh...

can't remeber.

I was then SGT Jung, Cco COMMO chief.

Today I am SFC Jung....hehe

I beleive the Dco COMMO chief was SPC Dunlap or SPC Hart if I remember correctly.

Wasn't your Dco Commander Nasty NEF or some **** like that?

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Nasty NEF!? lol

Dco CO was Cpt. Rodriquez and the CSM was CSM. Morre (spelling?) I dont know about the COMMO chief but Dco COMMO Sgt was a big guy, SGT Workhaus...you'd remember him. Big as a "haus" and snored louder than 3 drunk privates put together! biggrin.gif

And if I remember correctly, most Cco (Cobra) members talked more **** by 9 a.m. than most Privates did all day!! wink.gif

j/k

Cool, glad to meet a fellow Iron Duke.

------------------

One shot...One Kill

Oh ya...big Jefferey Warcoz. He went SF after the gulf war and got selected as 18E.

I have tried to look him up, but can't find anything. Maybe he went Delta force. A real good guy though.

The Cco Commander was CPT Arial and we had that short little 1SG.

I'm trying to remeber who was on your maintenance team but nothing comes up.

Any way, kinda cool to have another Iron Duke here.

By the way, you been out for a while now so I shouldn't have no problem totally humiliating you in a PBEM game. biggrin.gif

Ha! Cause we know tankers ain't that good with computers. biggrin.gif

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Does BRAVEHEART count as a war movie?

If so, it gets my vote.

It is the story of William Wallace, and the Scottish struggle against England around 1300. Wallace recruited men working under English rule (and tyranny) to form a Scottish army which defeated the English army at Stirling. The victory gained Scotland independence, which was short-lived, as the Scots were later smashed at Falkirk. Wallace was driven underground, but led a successful guerilla campaign against the English, until he was betrayed by Scottish nobility, and captured.

Besides being a great war movie, my wife loves Mel flicks. Finally a movie we both really liked!

[This message has been edited by Hundminen (edited 08-11-2000).]

A Cross of Iron,

Seige of firebase Gloria (They actually use fire control and use proper IA's and stoppage drills in that one)

Stalingrad,

Saving Private Ryan (The whole enchalada!)

Nuts there is one about the battle BEFORE the battle of the bulge but I can't rember it, and the young indiana jones with the WWI battles (The horses with gas masks and use of mustard gas with flamethrowers, speigburg did that one too I think)

Guest Michael emrys

Waterloo (made around 1969-70)

Zulu

Twelve O'clock High

Guadalcanal Diary

A Bridge Too Far

The Alamo (1961; guilty pleasure category)

A movie called either Task Force or Fast Carriers, can't remember which (saw it about 40 years ago)

Too many others to list...

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

The Bridge

Ice Cold in Alex

Iron Angel

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How are the action sequences in "The Bridge"?

How small/large a scale battle does the movie cover? I have heard good things about it.

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

"A Bridge Too Far" would be if it weren't for that damn Leopard MBT crossing the bridge. "The Dam Busters." And not one of my favorites, but did anyone else enjoy "When Trumpets Fade" on HBO last year? Not bad for TV.

PS, HBO is doing " Band of Brothers", by Stephen Ambrose next summer. Stephen Speilberg is directing, I believe.

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Devils:

How are the action sequences in "The Bridge"?

How small/large a scale battle does the movie cover? I have heard good things about it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a very small action about a single squad of very young conscripts defending a meaningless bridge in the closing days of the war. It's black and white. The cinematography suffers a little, but the action sequences are believable and not glorified at all (well, it's a true story after all). The film has a dark mood and goes after the fear reaction more than the hoo-rah glory action. Four stars in my book.

Post Script Edit: The panzerfaust scene will have you biting your nails smile.gif

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

[This message has been edited by Formerly Babra (edited 08-12-2000).]