Best War Movies of All Time

I've been looking around, I believe it was a made-for-TV movie, but does anyone have any clue if "An Ungentlemanly Act" is available on video anywhere? It's been absolutely ages since I've seen it. (For the probably many of you unfamiliar with it, it tells the tale of the defenders of the Falkland Islands during the Argentine invasion. Seemed pretty accurate to me)

There was also a black-and-white movie about a British sub (About 1955) that hit a WWII mine, settled on the bottom and waited for a rescue. Anyone remember it? It seems a little topical right now. Incidentally, in the movie, bad weather forces the abandonment of the rescue, and the crew dies.

I just wish to say that I thought that Ryan degenerated into standard hollywood tripe after the first 20 minutes.

NTM

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Michael emrys

Another pre-twentieth century war film well worth seeing is the Russian 6 hour two-part version of War and Peace, made in the '60s.

Michael

While I think of it, I have two new submissions for best War Movie..

The Mouse that Roared. (A duchy about a fifth the size of Lichtenstein declares war on the US in the hopes of losing and getting post-war aid, but unfortunately wins.. Stars Peter Sellers, Peter Sellers, Peter Sellers, with a guest appearance by Peter Sellers.. (Shades of Alec Guinness in this one)

Also, Army of Darkness. A classic. :)

NTM

Bridge on the River Kwai is one of my favorites, portraying leadership that most people can only watch in movies.

Patton (except that both sides use the same, modern armor. M48's?)

Full Metal Jacket

Saving Private Ryan

How about the Seven Samurai? No mention yet in this posting, and a truly great movie.

This was remade as The Magnificent Seven, a western. Also a great flick.

------------------

Ugati: You despise me, don't you Rick?

Rick Blaine: If I gave you any thought I probably would.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

I do hate to disillusion you all, but the best Samurai film by a long mile is Kurosawa's "Sanjuro", though the Seven Samurai is a darn close contender.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sanjuro is probably one of the more accessible and entertaining of Kurosawa's movies. It's funny, Toshiro Mifune plays a character most westerns will understand, and it has decent action. I just saw it two nights ago on the Criterion DVD which I highly recommend.

------------------

---

I am Legend

umm, not really a movie.

But I thought a good little mini-series was the Sharpe films. England vs. France

Sharpe's Honor

Sharpe's Gold

Sharpe's Eagle

I believe there were 4, but I can't recall the name of the other one.

Lorak

Sharpe's Battle (1995) (TV)

Sharpe's Company (1994) (TV)

Sharpe's Eagle (1993) (TV)

Sharpe's Enemy (1994) (TV)

Sharpe's Gold (1995) (TV)

Sharpe's Honour (1994) (TV)

Sharpe's Justice (1997) (TV)

Sharpe's Mission (1996) (TV)

Sharpe's Regiment (1996) (TV)

Sharpe's Revenge (1997) (TV)

I like them as stories but due to the limitations of TV the battles always seem a bit sparse. The Waterloo episode especially so. In the small unit actions it's pretty entertaining stuff.

------------------

---

I am Legend

Guest Michael emrys

I am happy to see Full Metal Jacket mentioned here several times as I thought it was a MUCH better movie than Platoon and was the one that should have received the Academy Award. But of course, Hollywood having embarrassed itself by having already given it to Platoon the year before, could not bring itself to give the award to two Viet Nam movies two years running. No, no, quite impossible...can't hear of it...

Michael

Trooper wrote:

The Mouse that Roared.

Army of Darkness.

Well, if you count those as war films, you might well include one of the best films ever made: "Doctor Strangelove".

- Tommi

[This message has been edited by tss (edited 08-16-2000).]

I'm glad to see some votes here for The Beast... I've never come across anyone else who's even heard of it before.

Not so much a movie about war, more of a movie set during one. It follows the story of a Soviet tank in Afghanistan that's pursued by Mujahadeen (spelling?). If nothing else, I think the director gets kudos for all the scenes shot inside the tank, which I believe was actually a slightly larger mockup used for those scenes.

If you can get past the Russians all speaking english it's a great movie.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorak:

umm, not really a movie.

But I thought a good little mini-series was the Sharpe films. England vs. France

Sharpe's Honor

Sharpe's Gold

Sharpe's Eagle

I believe there were 4, but I can't recall the name of the other one.

Lorak<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I loved the Sharpe's series.. Do you remember this one, though--Piece of Cake--

Story of the Phoney war and Battle of Britain

following a spitfire squadron. Pretty neat British televison mini series but unfortunately, the squadrons in France should have had Hurricanes--Dowding refused to allow his precious spits wasted in France..I would like to see this one aired again....

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet