German tactics in attacking

I recently played the Last Defense as the Americans where my opponents both drove their H/Ts with great speed right down the main road and into the town with devastating effect. This was done in the first minutes of the game!

The element of surprise really worked as my 50 cal and zook teams couldn't react fast enough.

My question: If this scenario was played for the first time or a similar scenario when the final version comes out would you sacrifice H/Ts and send them right in the middle of a town without not knowing the enemy's disposition? By first probing the area with scouts, use of arty & smoke seems more logical to me but then the Germans were great in Blitz attacks also.

I myself play these 3 beta scenarios as if I do not know the enemy's strength to gain experience in tactics when the final version comes out. I often lose but gain plently of knowlege which I feel will help me when the game come out.

rw

We know these 3 scenario's inside and out. We know that by turn 11 there will be some American reinforcements, and we also know that there are only 2 Platoons of Infantry, 1 platoon of Heavy Weapons, and one of Mortors. Using the Halftracks in this mode will usually result in a quick victory, if the Allied player makes a long range defense. However, I tried a LD game using smoke and actual probing tactics. I did indeed really lose the game, badly, but, this was due mostly to my bad positioning of the armour which was wiped out by the Americans who were able to then engage my infantry (if only this scenario allowed some Schrecks!). My Infantry was able to reach the first set of buildings without much loss due to the heavy use of smoke by my artillery spotters. However, I got bogged down and annihilated. Speeding your halftracks will work in a game where you know your enemy's strength, but, in the full version you won't know if there is a Sherman hiding behind one of those buildings ready to blow your halftracks to bits.

From what I feel will happen to this game, there will be enough scenario's being pumped out that one will almost probably never have to play one battle more than twice.

> I recently played the Last Defense as the > Americans where my opponents both drove

> their H/Ts with great speed right down the

Someone just tried this against me and it ended the German attack pretty quickly so it can definitely be defended against if you have 4 MGs that can open fire on that section of road.

It's an all or nothing strategy and I think he Germans are better off going with something more careful since the time-limit is very generous.

I also nailed the German commander when he tried this tactic against me (which was all the more satisfying since it was Berli). It really depends on how you do your set-up. As the American commander, I would always cover the centre rush as a priority.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Major Tom:

However, I got bogged down and annihilated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes very annihilated. biggrin.gif

Teutonic Jr.

Ps. When those buildings collapsed on your troops it was such a pretty sight for my Hellcat commanders. wink.gif Not to mention that my infantry took no damage to the building your mortars set on fire. Oh wait, I just mentioned it. tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Teutonic (edited 02-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Teutonic (edited 02-07-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We know these 3 scenario's inside and out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I'm completely surprised each time I play. 'Course, I'm also completely surprised that each time I jam this here pencil into my upper arm, it hurts like holy hell.

OUCH! Damn, wasn't expecting that!

DjB

Watch out Lorak - the Humour Police will be along shortly with their billy clubs to 'discuss' your last post smile.gif

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

Guest Big Time Software

Not a good strategy if you ask me. The intel you *MIGHT* gain is not really that important compared to the risk. Imagine racing 50% of your HT force at the town only to have some unknown source kill both of them before they got any intel worth speaking of. Could very well happen, and THEN what do you do? smile.gif Pretty much puts you behind the eightball from an early stage of the game.

In the game rwcanuck played the German player got lucky and/or the defenses were poorly situated. It turned out to be a positive move for the German player, not because it was smart but because it wound up working.

Steve