So umm, What if I told you Charles added yet MORE new Features?!? See CMHQ to see!!!

Guest Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

What if I told you that? Well, I would be telling you the truth cause he DID and you can read what they are on CMHQ!!!

Head on over and be sure to READ the news as well! wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Geez, this is fabulous smile.gif The new camera thing will be quite helpful and of course anything that increases the coolness of explosions is fine with me biggrin.gif

Question: so what happens to the tank after the catastrophic explosion? Does the usual burning tank model sit there? If so, great! This new explosion looks like a propellant fire, which would POOF out like this and then leave just a burning tank.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

Cool! Like the catastrophic explosions. LOVE the rotating camera around a point and not a disc! That's something I've been wanting since day 1 of the Beta demo!

Woo hoo! Charles, you rock!

Dar

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullethead:

Geez, this is fabulous smile.gif The new camera thing will be quite helpful and of course anything that increases the coolness of explosions is fine with me biggrin.gif

Question: so what happens to the tank after the catastrophic explosion? Does the usual burning tank model sit there? If so, great! This new explosion looks like a propellant fire, which would POOF out like this and then leave just a burning tank.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, you get the big boom and then the normal burning tank graphic...

Doesn't always happen (I didn't even know it was in at first!) but very cool when it does...

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-13-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

I don't know if it can casue casulities to nearby infantry units. Something like that is VERY had to test for. Also be aware that Catasrophic Explosions is MY name for this, and not Charles, but I am under the impressions that is what is to simulate.

I have seen hits on tanks cause collateral damage to nearby units in the past so it make sense that these can as well....

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Killmore said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Does the catastrofic explosion causes casualties to near by infantry? It definitly should.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on what the new catastrophic explosion represents. If it's supposed to be what it looks like, a propellant fire, then I wouldn't expect much if any effect on outside troops. Anybody further than like 20 feet away would probably just feel a flash of heat, over in less than 1 second, with no physical effect. Closer than that? Hmmm, maybe some sunburn-like effects and smoldering clothes for those very close, but nothing I'd say was a permanent casualty. However, anybody sitting on the back deck and enveloped by the fireball would be crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside.

OTOH, if this is supposed to be a massive internal secondary blowing the tank apart, then yeah, there should be some casualties over a considerable radius.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

Guest Madmatt

Its immediate...CM does not track internal rounds cooking off...

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Thanks Charles REALLY!

Now I feel bad for all the posting and bitching I have done about the LOS though live AVF's

I think I should now just shut up and play the game and wait for those spectacular Catastrophic Explosions. I mean that is really COOL! and that they happen rather infrequently is even better, (I think they are coded like that as part of the patented CM mind Control Algorythyms) so that you will have to Play MORE and MORE and Longer and Harder with even bigger weapons to see one and you can bet your asses all of us out here are playing the game to see BIGGER and more destructive explosions. Just read the "Tanks in the Basement" thread over again to KNOW that's exactly what we did as kids to our model tanks!!

YES! more explosions are always a good thing and HUGE catastrophic secondary explosions the BLOW up tanks are the BEST kind.

I love it!

After I saw the screen shots at MadMatt's web site I must appologize for all the Bitching about that now seemingly "irrelevant" LOS through live AFV problem. Now I say SCREW it, anything like that the INCREASES the chances of me seeing a BIG BOOM when I hit a tank should not be sullied with. (the logic here...

SIMPLE I figure there will be more AFV's getting hit more often due to LOS and LOF through AFV's so there is a greater chance of seeing MORE catastrophic Secondary explosions). At this point it would probably be Fun to watch one of your OWN go up for the first time just to see that BIG BOOM.

Yes the CM Mind control Algorythyms have been crafted by the best and I'm now totally ready to sign up to pre-order whatever ever eye-candy/mindcontrol game they come up with next!

Thanks again Charles for those brilliant Secondary explosions! (Fun and somewhat realistic as well, I understand)

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

uh..MadMatt..

are ya sure that we'uns kin read??

ah knows aah cain't spayul..

BTW where kin ah gits one of them thar bass boats like ya'll showed behind thet Sherman t'other day?

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

You'd be suprised to see how long propellant burns when not under pressure. When I was in the Artillary we used to have to burn the excess powder after training. Make for one big and very hot fire. And yes it burns for quite a while.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

MadNess,

And I thought just noticing that an occasional turret being slightly askew was cool in the thread with Bullethead the other day. Charles must be an incredibly active lurker in this forum to pull this one out of his bag o' tricks. Impressive....

------------------

CrapGame out

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gaffertape:

WOW.

Er... What would that look like if one were using 'fast and compatible' smoke? Would it still go boom?

GAFF<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess you'll find out soon enough won't you!

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Oh, man. I am really trying to wait until October to do my next computer upgrade (reasons being cost, the expected commonality of ATA100 drives, and the fact that my birthday is in October so it'll be my present to myself)

I think it'll be a whole new system to replace what I'm running now: Celery450/64MB/3GB/16MB TNT2card

I'm looking at either a P3600 or AMD system, 128MB/20GB/32MB GeForce card.

But, what with the enhanced explosions and such, I'm not sure my system will be capable of smooth playback. Already it shows noticeable jerkiness in CE if there is a lot of smoke on screen (which happens very often, as the AI loves to do that when it commands the Germans)

Damn you, BTS. Damn you for making the game even better and further increasing the lure of new computer doohickies.

mmmm....computer doohickies

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pathfinder:

uh..MadMatt..

are ya sure that we'uns kin read??

ah knows aah cain't spayul..

BTW where kin ah gits one of them thar bass boats like ya'll showed behind thet Sherman t'other day?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great post. smile.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

Finally........Maximus...has come back.....to the Forum!!!

Escurlock said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You'd be suprised to see how long propellant burns when not under pressure. When I was in the Artillary we used to have to burn the excess powder after training. Make for one big and very hot fire. And yes it burns for quite a while.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, we did that also smile.gif But for some reason, you don't get this long burn when a tank goes up. Every one I've see do it has gone POOF, unless the HE went off also, in which case it went KABOOM! I think it's because the shell of the tank traps the intense heat, which thus builds up pressure. Kinda turns the whole tank into 1 big cartridge.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The first is the addition of the Fixed Point Rotating Camera. That means that you can toggle the camera to rotate around a fixed point of the ground instead of rotating on a disk<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that rotation like the way it worked in the original beta demo or another version?

WOW! FInally biggrin.gif

I didn't get any reply from BTS, in the 2 times I asked for this fixed point camera rotation, so I thought it was never gonna be in CM. Ha I was wrong damn, I owe ya one Charles tongue.gif

Panoramic screenshots here we come! biggrin.gif

------------------

Check out my CM mods, Music and artwork smile.gif

www.geocities.com/coolcolj

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 06-14-2000).]