The Names

A little off topic, but my oh my! The names on this forum are an education in themselves. Where else can you find Bullethead, PanzerLeader, Dumbo, DesertFox, CivDiv, Killmor, Gunner's Dream, and even one slightly out of place with these, Compassion.

Tell me, do you have problems getting a job with a name like that (ROTFL). Quite an august group I say!

I am making a mental picture of each of you as I read these names (MROTFL)

------------------

Dirctor of Scenario Design,

The Gamers Net

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I am making a mental picture of each of you as I read these names (MROTFL)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My head looks like a .45 semi-wadcutter so folks have been calling me Bullethead all my life. Used to be pretty obvious because I had a high-and-tight from birth until I got out of the Corps, but these days I have a bit more hair smile.gif.

-Bullethead

Mine i got from attending 4 years at New Mexico Military Institute, my senior thesis paper in Military science was on Rommel's tactics in north africa, and how they apply to modern armor doctrine. Paper ended up being about 18 pages long, took me months to do.

Gunnerdream said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My moniker is from a Pink Floyd album, "The Final Cut".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very overlooked.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>get your filthy hands off my desert

brezhnev took afghanistan

begin took beirut

galtieri took the union jack

and maggie over lunch one day

took a cruiser with all hands

apparently to make him give it back<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine is my FPS name. Gets a little boring fighting "Evil d00dz." Like to tell them that I feel their pain... that I inflict. It's become habit, I'm afraid.

Clay-

[This message has been edited by Compassion (edited 12-06-99).]

An education for me. Thanks guys for sharing the "why" of your names. They all make sense to me. I can see us all having lunch together in some restaurant.

"Hey, Bullethead! Pass the potatoes. Anybody seen Dumbo? Okay be nice to Compassion, guys!"

It would certainly turn heads. Well, at least you all know what you're talking about, so be whoever you wanna be. That's what I do (G)!

And thanks Rick. Its good to be here. My take on this game is that it is finally what I have longed for in a low level combat intensive game. I love it! And wait till you guys see the scenarios and operations (formerly known as campaigns) that are coming.

Its going to be very nice to get a game with well-tested, well-balanced battles included. I think you'll be pleased.

------------------

Dirctor of Scenario Design,

The Gamers Net

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the long delay on the reply, I just searched for my old strings, I just don't have much time anymore. Anyways, Wild Bill, my name is a simplification of 'Civilian Division'. I'm an active duty Marine, and that's my eventual goal. As an aside, I face a major problem; I often loan out CD's when I go on my many, and frequent, various travels. Many people want to borrow my CM CD, due to my rave reviews. I have strong suspicion that people have copied some of my earlier loans, and I wish BTS all success with CM, and thus, am reluctant to loan out this CD.

civdiv

Guest Rommel22

Mine is Rommel since I also did a paper on him. And my Grandfather calls me by that name. He fought in WWII at the age of 17. Defended Berlin. He gave me his Iron Cross and Flags. He gave me his uniform too. He also has a tank badge for single handed destruction of a tank. He is still alive.

He calls me Rommel since he knows I am so intersted in WWII. He tells me (as a joke) I would be perfct for the Hitler youth!!! He is a good guy. Well thats my nickname there!!!

------------------

From the Das Reich book as said by a German soldier

"when the Russians reached us, we opened fire, the first wave had no weapons.

The second wave didn't either (fire fodder). The 3rd and 4th had weapons and opened fire on us.

By this time we were low on ammo, but we drove them back."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gunnerdream:

"Floating down, through the clouds..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Memories come rushing,

Up to meet me now.."

There's something about that song that always made my hair stand on end.

the word i chose for my user name kind of freaked me out a bit when i first heard it.Its a medical term for the sound that broken bones make when they rub together,and,as anyone who has heard that can tell you,its a little bit unpleasant,like fingernails dragging down a blackboard,and,i would guess a bit like war itself.

Mine comes from back when I was playing F15 Eagle on an old Tandy 1000 286,I had this Army buddy who came up with the name after a long night on the Strass drinking and striking out with the local women (I was stationed in Aschaffenburg Germany at the time)Those were great times and the name just kinda stuck. smile.gif

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!

Guest Michael emrys

The story behind my handle is very long and very involved, so I won't bore anyone with it here. But I would refer you to two things. The first is a song written by Joni Mitchel called "Michael From Mountain". The second is a novel by Mary Stuart called The Crystal Cave. BTW, the 'E' in 'Emrys' ought to be uppercase, but I made a typo when I registered and am stuck with it now.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Beman:

I've always wondered why everybody calls me "Doug Beman." confused.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because of your looks.

wink.gif

Michael

Hehe, LOL Bill. I've always sorta envisioned all the white straight jackets wandering around in here meself...

Got the handle in RedBaron 3D flying online with Jasta 10. There was a historical Bruno Weiss with that unit, and Stachel became my inflight call sign. "Who vill fly mit Stachel?"

smile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 09-30-2000).]

mine was given to me when, as a young battery commander in Germany, I found a certain international border instead of Grafenwohr redface.gif

thus I was known until I left Germany as pathfinder 6....sheesh wink.gif

so I use it online to keep myself humble...

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

Well, I tend to pick my names according to whatever is "floating my boat" at the time of username registration.

My first name, as some of you may remember, was "Ol' Blood & Guts", and OH, what a name and reputation it was and became. wink.giftongue.gif

Now my name of Maximus was of course after the main character in the film, Gladiator, which was a true warrior.

But since CM's release and after the CM Borg assimilation of all these new humanoids, tongue.gif I hardly know anybody on this board. I spend most of my time either playing the game or making mods for it.

------------------

All that sleeps, awakens...

All that awakens, hungers...

All that hungers, feeds...

Sum'tin wrong wid me name? (scratches head)

actually, when Warbirds first showed up it only took 4 letter handles, owing to a lack of orginality and a liking of Panther tanks,

I became pzVg, (and no one gets it to this day! mutter mutter, why I oughtta,) cool.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Confucious say, it is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"